2017 PA Thread - Collected Info/Fields Plus Discussions

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Looking to play in the ASA state tourney in Drifton again (E or D) or in the over 35 state tourney. Played in Drifton last year and had a good time. Nice complex, even competition, and 20 minutes from the GF's family's cabin. If anybody is looking for an OF pm me. I can bring a guy or 3 as well if needed.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Sunday was our first set of double-header games... My first game of the season...

We were home team the first game - I was pitching - I walked the very first batter with 3 straight pitches... And he later scored :(

My first at bat, I hit a weak grounder between 2nd & 1st - Easy play to get me out...

Now the rest of the game was all good - The team hit well - I walked no one else - Got lots of batters to pop up and we have really young guys in the outfield to track down those hits or simply sit under the mile high ones...

I walked each time in the next two at bats...

The score went back and forth - although we were in the lead at the end of every inning... We won the game, 14 to 8...

The second game we were away - but these young guys can really hit the ball - we came out a little slow with one in the 1st, then 0, then 2, then 2, then 2 --- which by the end of the 5th inning gave us the lead of 7 to 2 ... In the top of the 6th inning, everything began to click and we put up 8 runs...

The bottom of the 6th inning, we got them out 1, 2, 3, and that was all she wrote - We won 15 to 2...

If everything stays cool on this team, It looks like we are headed for the #1 or #2 spot in our division (although anything can happen in softball)...

The coach is in his mid-20's, and other than his Dad (who also plays on the team) and I, no one is over 30... It's nice to play on a young team... It was a good day...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Today's double-headers went the other way...

By the bottom of the 5th inning of the first game, we were down 17-to-13... We had made a few fielding errors to help them score more than they should... but they were a good hitting team and could place the ball well...

We lost in the next two innings with a final of 21-to-15...

Second game was a bit more even - by the bottom of the 5th inning, we were ahead 8-to-6... but, they out hit us again in the 6th inning and we only put up one in the 7th --- the final was another loss for us at 11-to-9...

So - disappointing showing against a good hitting team... We'll have to remember to pay them back later in the season...

I think I went 3 for 6 - no walks...

Tomorrow is my first senior game this year...

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Good luck tomorrow Ken. Be careful with those senior guys though, they are wiley.

Sounds like your young team needs a little more time to come together. Take it slow
and don't let your expectations get the better of you.

Our first senior game is this Thursday, but rain is in the forecast.
Next Tuesday the Bethlehem league begins.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Last night, our senior game was played during sporatic rain showers... Not an excuse but just another discomfort during a losing game...

Our team put up only 1 run during the 7 innings - We lost 6-to-1...

I think I went 1-for-3...

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Played our first senior game. Due to circumstances we played a 9 inning game, it counted for
2 games. The other team only had 7 till about 40 minutes after start time when 3 others showed
up. So we agreed to play 9innings and count it as the 2 we were supposed to play.

We did a little BP while waiting and I think that paid off in spades. We hit and fielded well and
won 18 - 8. I didn't hit the ball like I wanted, but did go 4 - 4 with 5 runs batted in. It was cold
and dreary, but it was fun to play. The team we played was a good team that was a little short
on players, next time we play them will be more competitive. But all said and done it was fun, both
teams had fun, and no one got hurt.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Scot - Looks like you're starting out good - but crazy 9-inning game = to two games ---- I guess that's better than not being able to make up a game later....

Our Sunday games were cancelled due to the rain on Saturday...

Our Senior game on Monday was another loss (that's 0 for 2) - for me, bad game - went 0-3 at the plate - worse yet, I pulled my left hamstring on the last at-bat...

Sore now - but will try to play again on Wed night --- Hopefully can hit better so I don't have to race to first (just to get out :( )...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Another Senior game tonight - My leg is still sore, but after taking a few ibuprofen yesterday and today, it felt better and worked out fine for tonight's game...

We scored 0-2-3-0-3-0-0 to come away with an 8-to-2 win --- Our first WIN!!!!

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Played Tuesday and Thursday in the Bethlehem League. We finished 2-2. A much better start
then last year. We hit 1 homerun so far in 4 games, but scored 25, 17, 7, 13 runs. Not bad, small
ball sometimes rules. We split Tuesday and Thursday.

On Tuesday only 1 homerun was hit, not by us. We lost the first game 25-27 in 9 innings, not a
single HR for either team. We won the second game 17-5 in 5 innings and the only HR was hit by them.

Thursday we lost the first game 13-7, they hit all three HRs, we hit none. We won the second
game 13-10, they hit 3 HRs, we hit one. Sometimes small ball rules!

Didn't play senior league because both leagues played the same day Thursday. But they battled a 50+
tournament team Scorecard and came close, but lost both games. We are now 2-2.

Play ball!!

RetMilVet

Project War Path
jeesh, 1 HR? Bethlehem is more of a homer dome then Lewisburg.

LOL we didn't hit many last year in the beginning, but towards the end we did hit our share most games. Maybe we
are a warm weather team.

As long as we continue to score a lot of runs without them we'll be all right. The homeruns will come...hopefully!!

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Well - last Sunday was two more losses with the young guys - We can't seem to get our hitting going and the errors continue to kill us...

Monday was a close loss with the Senior team - We were coming back in the 7th inning but just couldn't make the extra two runs we needed... ;(

Wednesday in Senior league, we did finally make another win - We took the lead early and held them on defense to win the game 5-to-1... :)

This Sunday we have four games due to the rainout earlier - but I think I'm going to miss the last one due to another appointment already scheduled...

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Played Tuesday night Bethlehem league and we split with the Chasers ( last years Champions). We hit 3 homeruns in game one enroute to winning that one, Game two was all them, they hit the crap out of the ball and we did not. Not one homerun in game 2 for us, 3 for them..I played one game as we had 15 guys. Unfortunately it was in game two and we only played 5 innings....I was 0-1 with a walk.

Thursday night I played 50 and over with Kays Electric, we played last years champions Cherry Hill. These guys hit the ball pretty good. They had one guy hit 4 homeruns, . We had 16 guys and everyone played and batted. Participation is all good, but tough on getting any continuity going. We lost both by 8 or 9 runs. We are now 2-4. I was 2-4 with a double.

My Thursday night Bethlehem league team won both games...6-1, 8-3. Barn burners!!! We are now 5-3 overall,
last year we were 0-8 at this time..

Last edited:

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Any other board bros playing in the coke classic this weekend?

I might be stopping by Sunday to catch a few games and visit with a few friends. I don't play tournaments
anymore, except charity...I'm retired!

What team are you playing for?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Good stuff with all the pa fields links.
Thanks - If you have any to add, let us know...

Scot - Sounds like you're getting to play regularly and doing well - Glad you're back in the 'SWING!'

Last Sunday the team played 4 games - I tweaked my hamstring again taking an extra base in the first game - so I rested it the 2nd game, hoping to get back in on the 3rd game - However, the last two games were scheduled late, the previous teams were running late and I had to leave for a meeting ... So I only played one game that day - But, we WON that game, lost the next one - and the team split again on the last two games for the day...

On Monday, our senior team played the 'stacked' team in the league ... we actually were holding them in the first few innings, but then tried too hard to make 'low percentage' throws and they walked away with an 8-to-1 final...

Wednesday, we played a double-header (right up 'til dark at end of 6th inning) - The first game we hit well 2-0-1-1-0-4-0 taking us to an 8-to-0 WIN --- I actually hit a double my first time at bat - limping around first and heading for 2nd base, I felt my hamstring start to tweak, so I just throttled back the hobble to a fast walk to make 2nd base ahead of the throw...

With overcast skies, we started the second game as visitors and hoped to keep hitting - and we did --- we scored 2-2-0-0-3-2-x ... since we didn't start/finish the 7th inning, I suppose we'll do that when we next meet this team for a single game... but we are on our way to that win being up at the end of 6 innings with a score of 9-to-3...

Our defense was very good last night - NOT throwing the ball around and giving them extra opportunities...

I hit better last night than I have in a long time --- I hope I can keep that up...

Last edited:

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Hey Ken. Played a few games already. But my swing is still a work in progress. My back is feeling better this
year so I'm actually hitting to left field, who knew. I almost hit 2 homeruns tonight in senior ball, both to left field.
One hit the fence for a double, the other went foul by 10 feet, would have been a HR.. But all in all I'm still trying
to find some consistency. It's early, so it's nice to have the whole field now to work with.

By the way we got beat twice tonight by a good senior tournament team. I was 2 - 5 with a double and a sac fly

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Lewisburg
48 teams

How did your team do in the tournament?

My back is feeling better this year so I'm actually hitting to left field, who knew.

That's good Scot - Glad to hear it's better - Wish my hamstring would get better - but I keep tweaking it every time I play...

Last weekend was Memorial Day - Never Forget - so no games - but Wednesday was a Senior league double-header...

We lost the first game 9-to-2 --- all of their scoring was in two separate innings...

In the 2nd game we scored in inning #2 & #5, then had men on base when I came up in the bottom of the 6th, with one out...

I hit a hard shot right at the pitcher's feet (was supposed to be out to center field)... The pitcher jumped up and the ball was headed right for 2nd base (and their middle infielder) - A sure double play to kill the inning...

However, the fielder was playing back behind 2nd base, the ball slammed into the base, jumped 15-feet in the air, right over top the fielder and our runner on 3rd scored the winning run... score was 10-to-0... (I hobbled down to first base to complete my at bat)... :)

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Dang Ken, I can relate to nagging injuries. When I came back to play after 5 years off, in my first year I had
strains in both left and right quadriceps ...had to call it quits after only 1/3 of the season. But I still came out to base
coach and drink beer.:cool:

I hit the gym on the off season and after 2 years so far so good. Maybe you need to shut
it down for a while and heal. You know us old guys don't heal or recover as fast as we used too.

RetMilVet

Project War Path
This past week was weird.

Tuesday I took the night off from the Bethlehem league cause we had 14 guys, to rest up for my Wednesday
night senior league games....where I play outfield. We split on Tuesday. Wednesday rolled around and we picked
up 2 wins on a forfeit.:( So no games played for me.

Played 2 games Thursday night in Bethlehem league, sort of. We played the top team, but we were scrambling for
guys. We managed 11 but not really our regular guys and 2 were hurt. One with a groin pull and another with a back
injury ( probable nerve damage ) :eek: We got beat soundly 2 games, both only 5 innings...got 10 run ruled..At least
we didn't forfeit. :cool: I went 3 - 4 and hung out till 0100 drinking beer. Best part of softball!!

So 2 - 0 in senior league, but no playing time and 1 - 3 in Bethlehem league with minimal playing time. Damn!!!!
We are now 4 - 6 in senior league, and 6 - 6 in Bethlehem league ( which is 100% better then last year ).

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Met bigwignj this past Sunday. It was great to put a face to a board bros handle. Good luck to you guys
in the future.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Finished 5th ish? in the A flight. Got beat by Bullfrog who won the tournament for our first loss and then lost a game in the 7th inning to MHT?, that we should have won. Didn't hit well as a team all weekend. Think we finished 4-2 on the weekend.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Nice meeting you too. See you this weekend in Palmer. Hopefully you bring better luck this time.