2017 PA Thread - Collected Info/Fields Plus Discussions

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Finished 5th ish? in the A flight. Got beat by Bullfrog who won the tournament for our first loss and then lost a game in the 7th inning to MHT?, that we should have won. Didn't hit well as a team all weekend. Think we finished 4-2 on the weekend.

Thanks for the update - I hate those 'should have won' 'but can't pull it out' type losses...

--------------------

My young team on Sunday had a barn burner 1st game - we put up 19 runs in five innings to their 2...

but - the 2nd game was upside down - with them putting up 9 through 7 innings to our only being able to eek out 1 run in the bottom of the 7th...

Softball is crazy sometimes... :(

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
For a number of reasons, my senior team did not play last week - that gave me a chance to rest the hamstring - which seems to be finally getting better...

This Sunday my young team struggled once again - some missing players - which means THE TEAM never seems to gel because the strengths and weaknesses keep changing...

Anyway, we led in the middle of the first game, tied in 6th inning (as home team) and then could not produce even one more run to even up the one they put up in the top of the 7th... Lost 14-to-13

Second game, we started great - we were up 9-to-7 after two, but let them get ahead of us 11-to-10 thru five innings - then we could not produce in the 6th & 7th and end up losing 14-to-10

A disappointing day, even though I was hitting well - As a team, we can't seem to keep a steady hitting stream...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Three more senior games this week --- We WON all three - Mon DH was >> #1 game 6-to-5, #2 game 5-to-2
Tonight's game was 9-to-1 - but no scoring in the first 3 innings...

So - anyone else playing league this year?? How's your team doing?

RetMilVet

Project War Path
You guys are on a roll Ken. Hope your hamstring is healing up fine.

I played 2 senior league games tonight ( Wednesday ). We won both.. Had a lot of fun tonight, and that's all that matters.
Hit for high average ( 6 - 8 ), but honestly I'm not hitting the ball like I want to, but I'll accept it for now.

My Bethlehem league team played 4 so far this week. I played Tuesday with them, we went 1-1 against a scrappy
team that has a losing record but always plays us tough. Good games and a good time.. I went 2 - 4 as I only played
one full game. We actually had 13 guys show up, so I got to rest a game.....long week, many games.... I'm old !!!!

Wednesday as I said I played senior league, but we had make up games in the Bethlehem league versus one of the bottom teams,
we won both. Play again tomorrow ( Thursday ) against a team we are even with in the standings, both of us are about .500.
We split with them last time, so we will see tomorrow....and as always it depends on who shows up for us. We seem to never have the
same people. Hopefully we have our A or B lineup, but I'll settle for 10 guys showing up.

Hope everyone is having fun playing league, and for those that are playing tournament ball....good luck and play hard.

Play ball !!!!!!!

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Hope everyone is having fun playing league

Well - Based on the postings here, looks like we're the only one's playing - or willing to say so.... Come on guys, post up some stories or scores from your local leagues...

My hamstring is finally starting to feel better - I can stretch it out now with only a little pain - However, since I've been protecting the hamstring, and still playing, it seems my knees (especially the right one) is taking some of the abuse I'm keeping off the hamstring --- Looks like my hobbling effort is pounding on the right knee and causing it to throw a fit - swelling, pain & tightness --- Now that the hamstring is starting to feel better, I'm hoping to even out the effort on the legs and start healing up the stress on the right knee...

Anyway --- To our games today -- another two games with the young team...

Unfortunately, the other team was playing short handed - they only had 9 players (meaning 3 in the outfield) --- I'm afraid it wasn't much of a contest in either game - We 10-runned them in each game - 1st one was 16-to-4 and the second one was 18-to-6...

But they were good sports (despite another bad day for umpire accuracy)... The only bad thing was I blasted a shot back up the middle and wacked the pitcher in the leg -- I felt really bad about that - as I stood on 1st base... :( REALLY, I did feel bad about clipping him, especially in such a lopsided game...

Tomorrow night - two more with the Senior Crew...

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Now - Two losses for the Senior Team - We couldn't get the batting going - Lost 8-to-3 and 10-to-3 --- only 3 runs in each game is not going to produce wins... I think we batted 13 - never a good thing with average hitters...

The only highlight for me in the second game (after grounding out on my first at-bat) was in the bottom of the 6th inning... 1st pitch I swung hard, clipped the bottom of the ball, trying to go down the line, and sent it foul off the right side... 2nd pitch, I swung hard again, and popped it up over the backstop... I stepped away from the plate thinking I had struck out - BUT NO, this is senior league and we start 0-0 in the count (Sunday is 1-1)...

So now I'm really mad at myself for barely clipping those two and sending them foul - we have runners on base and I'm determined to put the ball in play - the pitcher steps off the mound just to make me wait --- Then, he throws the next pitch which is chest high and I'm concentrating on hitting that thing to forever... I swing, making perfect contact, sending the ball out between RC (who was shading toward right) and LC, into a perfect gap shot --- I scored the runners and ended up hobbling safely to 2nd base... (but that was the end of the scoring - and we lost)... :(

Wed night game cancelled due to rain...

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Sunday rolled around again - For some strange reason, the LD keeps changing the fields where we're to play - at the last minute, no less...

I was already going to be late because of another commitment, so when I showed up at the schedule listed field - no one is there...!!!... Now I had checked my phone about 3 hours before the game time (and before my appointment) and had no messages... However, I should have checked my phone for messages (which I don't keep on) just before heading to the game, since I know the LD is crazy...

This was another of those weeks where missing players caused a whole different team to be on the field for us - but I missed the entire 1st game by the time I got to the correct field (we lost that one 17-to-9)...

I pitched the 2nd game - which was also an embarrassment - It seems we just can't get line drives going - we get either pop ups or weak swings trying for the space between infield & outfield, which ends up in outs... We lost in 5 innings with a 13-to-2 score (they put up 11 runs in the 2nd inning - or should I say we gave them 11 runs). :(

My only good hit was a nice hard line drive between right field & right center that went deep enough to score one of those runs in the 5th inning...

Then two more games with the Senior guys on Monday - We had beaten this team before - and we had most of our hard hitters there - but they played well enough to make us play all 7 innings in each game...

We won both games - 1st one was 10-to-2 - 2nd one was 9-to-1... Again, I only had one really good hit - this one was on the right field line with 2 outs and bases loaded - Scored two runs but I only hobbled to 1st base...

The hamstring is still sore but mostly healed - but my right knee is still swollen, sore and tender... On top of that, I caught a very short infield fly ball tonight which hit me on the exact knuckle I hurt 4-weeks ago - that thing was still swollen and now it's black & blue again... Oh, well, I'll heal up eventually... Getting old sucks!!

Two more senior games on Wednesday...

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
And the softball world continues to turn - over & over & over...

Two more senior team games tonight - In both games, our team could not get people on base... we lost the 1st one with a score of 5-to-1 ... and the second one with a score of 6-to-0.... just crazy - we were popping up - hitting right at fielders - or dribbling rollers to the infield... Sometimes you just want to pull your hair out --- then you discover that missing, too!!!!

Off next week (Sun & Mon) for the holiday...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
So, to catch up...

Last wednesday senior league games - We won both games 7-to-5 & 5-to-4...
Sunday, young guys, we lost the first game by 2 runs - the 2nd game we were behind most of the game, but put up runs in the bottom of the 6th and then held off the other team coming back - we won that game by one run...

Last night, senior league, we played a top tier team and our defense was good -- but way too little hitting - we lost the 1st game by 5-to-0 and then lost the 2nd game by 3-to-1...

Tonight, I got to pitch since our pitcher couldn't make the off-day makeup schedule... Top of the 7th inning we were ahead 1-to-0... We were visitors - we hit a few base hits in the top of the 7th to raise our score to 3-to-0...

Bottom of the 7th, they had bases loaded with only 1 out - we got a pop up infield-fly - then they hit a line drive that drove in 2 runs... I got the final batter to hit a lazy fly ball slightly farther than the infield but well within the range of our shortstop - So final out - with the score 3-to-2... Whew!!! I as sweating that outcome with the tie run on 3rd and the winning run on 1st...

So - My senior league regular schedule is done - We went 13W-11L for the season - Next monday begins the playoff tournament... We don't know yet where we'll seed since a few other teams still need to play makeup games on Wed & Thu...

There is still 4 more Sundays to play with the young guys - I know we are below .500 with that team - So hopefully we'll be able to pull a few extra wins to get us up to the .500 mark...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
The manager for my Sunday young team gave me the day off and told me to heal up... Unfortunately, he ended up with only 9 players - two more losses there, but one went to the 8th inning...

Monday, on the Senior team, was the first of the Senior League playoffs - Double-Elim Tournament --- Our regular pitcher couldn't make it - so I got to pitch again...

But I had taken some tee practice in the morning, then pitched BP before the game ----

We were home team - They scored one run in the 2nd and we scored one in the bottom of the 3rd --- no runs in the 4th and we put up two runs in the 5th - again, no runs in the 6th...

So, top of the 7th inning, we are ahead 3-to-2... All we need to do is get three outs and we're done --- but no, I got to make it scary close....

One out, good -- One on base -- Base hit - now tying run is on 1st... I WALK THE NEXT BATTER (no, not on purpose) --- Bases loaded - 2nd base has the tie run - 1st has the winning run....

I got the next batter to hit up the middle for a double-play... but the guy on 3rd scores...

So, two outs, tie run on 3rd --------------------------------- The next guy hits a grounder for an out at first....

GAME OVER!!!! =======> Whew!!!!

We play again Tuesday...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Not so fortunate on Tuesday - They scored three in the first five innings - We only scored 2 (none in 4 innings)... then they scored 3 more in the 6th and we only scored 2 more in the 6th - No score in the 7th ...

Lost 6-to-4 :( ... So we're still playing but now are halfway out of the playoffs...

More to come on Wednesday...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Now the final inning has been played for this year's Senior League... Mistakes were made... I (along with many of my fellow players) missed opportunities to stop the other team from scoring runs... We just didn't play to our best level... Sad to see it, because you know you can do better, but the carnage just keeps piling up...

We lost tonight, 14-to-5 - the game had a 20-minute Lightning Delay and an inning of nuisance drizzle... But the weather was never a factor in the game... Our playoff games went down with W - L - L ... not the bottom team, but not far from it...

So ... we put that league to bed for the Winter ---- We'll meet our friends next spring and try to make it a more positive season next year... We have a dwindling number of years left to play, so we'll do our best to make them successful...

I still have a few more Sunday's with the young team ... Hopefully we'll pull those together on the ' W ' side of the ledger... Only time will tell...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I played another Sunday double-header with the young guys... It was boiling hot with high humidity and you sweat like crazy just being on the field... It was grinding me down as the games progressed...

The first game we were home team and leading from the 3rd inning forward - End of 3rd was 8-to-3... by the end of the 6th, it was 11-to-6... Top of the 7th, they hit and we misplayed a couple and I walked a couple including walking a run in... they tied the score...

But we put two guys on base in the bottom of the 7th and then our guy jacked a home run... Game over --- 14-to-11

The second game (we were away team) we got 4 runs in the 2nd inning and by the end of the 6th inning we were up 7-to-3... Top of the 7th inning we put another 2 runs on the board... but remembering the 1st game, we were intent on shutting them down in the bottom of the 7th...

They got a hit, then we got that guy out on 2nd base with an FC from the next batter. They got another hit that put men on 1st & 3rd...

Then I earned my pay -- They hit a hot shot up the middle to my left - - which I caught - - and their guy on 1st base was one too many steps toward 2nd - - I threw to 1st for the double play and ended the game...

We won that one 9-to-3...

So that was a good effort for these final games... I think it moved us up in the standings... Now, if we can keep that up, we'll finish with a decent record...

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Two more games ----

We were tied at 6-to-6 at the end of the 3rd inning - but we couldn't seem to play fundamental ball - too many errors - We let the game get away from us in the next three innings - by the end, we lost 14-to-11...

It was a lower scoring 2nd game --- by the end of the 4th inning, they were up 5-to-3.... and we could only match their additonal 2 runs in the 5th, 6th & 7th.... We lost that one with a score of 7-to-5...

Once again, we had some missing players, fill-ins & far too many errors to move up in the standings...

Now I'm concerned we may not make the top 5 (of 8) teams to reach the playoffs.. We'll succeed or fail next week....

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
So - It came down to the last double-header to determine if we or our opponents would make the playoffs...

I was determined to do all that I could to get the hitters out with tough pitches or directing their hits to our fielders... We needed to play fundamental ball on both sides - making every easy out, making some of the tough outs, hitting base hits and going for the long ball when it would be productive...

The first game we were the away team - we got 2 runs in the 2nd inning, 6 more in the 3rd, but by the end of the 4th inning, we were tied --- No one scored in the 5th inning, we scored one in the 6th, and held them to no more runs... We won the first game, 9-to-8, but we had to win both to make our 5th place spot in the playoffs...

The second game we were home team - and we were determined to be playing next Sunday... We played good fundamental ball on both sides --- we defended well and we hit for runs nearly every inning with some great running efforts and at least one home run (3 runs)...

I was struggling to get any hits - but my pitching was right on against this team... in one inning, I got a hitter to foul-out, we got another infield out and the last out was a screaming line drive at my ear that I caught...

Two innings later there was another line drive about 6 inches from my head - which I also caught - but failed to get the double-play against the man off first base when I made a bad throw from 20 feet away .... :( ....

In any event, by the top of the 7th inning were were ahead, 10-to 5, and we shut them down to win our 2nd game...

NOW - WE WILL BE PLAYING IN THE PLAYOFFS.... Of course, our 5th place standing means we have an uphill battle against the better teams... but still ------- YEAH!!! we did what was needed to play another day...

We finished the year with a losing record though - 12W-16L

Hopefully we'll have all of our players available so we don't have to suffer with replacement-itis....

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
So - the last double-header we had to beat the 5th place team to get into the playoffs - we won both games and took their 5th place spot away...

So Sunday we had the first game of the day, 9am - being 5th out of 5 teams meant we were going to be the away team for every game we played...

We lost the first game to the 4th place team - I think by 2 runs... That put us in the Loser's Bracket... Now we can't lose another or we're out...

So we get a two hour break and play again 12-noon - in this case, we play the exact same team because they were beaten during our two hour break...

But this time, the tide had turned our way - We took them to task - played great defense and put up runs to take that 4th place spot away from them...

Now we had to play back-to-back with the 1:00pm game against the 3rd place team who had also gotten one loss during our two hour break...

We move right into the next game at the same pace as the previous one - hitting well, making scoring streaks and playing great defense - I was pitching with all my concentration to affect the batters in any way I could and to protect the middle --- in the end, we 10 runned them in 5-innings to take away their 3rd place position...

Now we had a one-hour break... during which the 2nd place team lost to the 1st place team...

So, we now faced (3:00pm) the 2nd place team which we had not beaten during the regular season (0-for-4 games)... But we were determined to do our best and move on if at all possible...

They are a very good hitting team but we held them to only 3 runs (tied with us) thru 5 innings - but in the bottom of the 6th inning they hit enough (and we made a couple mistakes) that they got 3 runs up on us... and we could not answer back in the top of the 7th inning... :( So we lost the attempt at taking 2nd place and were done for the day...

Some of us stayed to see the end - the 1st place team beat the 2nd place team to go undefeated for the day...

We ended the season with 3rd place in the playoffs ---- not bad ---- we knocked off the 5th place team (reg season), then the 4th place team and the 3rd place team --- definitely not bad...

It was a great day of softball ---- I really enjoyed myself - I played very good defense with some decent hitting --- I was tired at the end of the day, but very satisfied that we had actually put our full potential on the table and succeeded...

Now it will be about 4 more weeks until fall ball starts.... A little relaxation, some healing of my knee and then back to work on the mound...

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Been a while. Leagues are done. Nothing special to report. Hope everyone had fun this season,
and for anyone whose playing tournament ball...good luck to yas, bring some gold back to PA.

Ken the Fall Razorback is coming up! If enough teams get in, I'll be heading down again.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Since no one seems to be reading my posts - I'll just truncate the posts to record our scores for my own benefit and later tracking...

We played 3 games today - Opening Day - All against the same team - Our league makes some crazy schedules... Anyway, we won all three games:

1) Home Team - We won 4-to-2
2) Away Team -- We won 12-to-2 (6 innings)
3) Away Team -- We won 6-to-2

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Since no one seems to be reading my posts -

This site ain't what it used to be Ken. But then softball now a days is on on the decline everywhere..
Man we used to get guys together on this thread to play as Softball Fans PA. Those days are over my friend.

Heads up on the Fall Razorback.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Yep - I've seen it elsewhere - too many idiot posts and too much moderation will kill a good forum every time...

Heads up on the Fall Razorback.

Since I'm playing on Sundays, I will only make it if we play early in the day...

What is the date for the Fall Razorback this year?

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Since I'm playing on Sundays, I will only make it if we play early in the day...

What is the date for the Fall Razorback this year?

NOVEMBER 4th & 5th Pending on how many teams they get, it could go late on Sunday.
Have to wait and see though. Most teams are too busy right now playing worlds/nationals
to sign up. Usually by three quarters through September we'll know if it will be big or not.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
We played 2 more games

1) Away Team - We won 18-to-6 - Injured man
2) Home Team -- We lost 5-to-15 (6 innings) - Only 9 players

smdstudios

<font color="#36648B">SBF Fund Donor</font>
Looks like I might be moving to the Hanover, PA area. Anyone know of leagues in the area? Didn't have much luck finding anything on Google.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Looks like I might be moving to the Hanover, PA area. Anyone know of leagues in the area? Didn't have much luck finding anything on Google.

Try contacting a member here named 'Bill From Hanov' -- See Post#10 of this very thread...

York has softball on Mon-Thu (contact York Rec Dept) - I think there's some softball down near shrewsbury...

%%%

RetMilVet

Project War Path
York area is only about 30 - 40 minutes away if you don't mind a little travel. Ken ( ImminentDanger ) can help you out there.

Hell I travel 25 minutes to both leagues I play in. And the traffic sucks, but if you want to play...a little travel
pays off.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
We finished first in the regular fall season (15 games) with a record of 11W-4L - But they had put us in the lowest of the 3 divisions... I think maybe we should have been in the middle division...

Anyway - Next week is our playoff tournament - We'll see if we can take the top spot then as well...

Scot - If you're still planning to come down to the Razorback Tournament in November, let me know - I might be able to make it Sunday afternoon...

Last edited:

RetMilVet

Project War Path
We finished first in the regular fall season (15 games) with a record of 11W-4L - But they had put us in the lowest of the 3 divisions... I think maybe we should have been in the middle division...

Anyway - Next week is our playoff tournament - We'll see if we can take the top spot then as well...

Scot - If you're still planning to come down to the Razorback Tournament in November, let me know - I might be able to make it Sunday afternoon...

Definitely going. Message sent to you.
Congrats on your fall season. Good luck in the playoffs.

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Razorback up to 38 teams, hopefully they get a few more. Hopefully it will be a good weekend to
play/watch softball.

Last year Ken, I think it was in the 30's by the end of the day with a breeze...brrrrrrrrrrr!! LOL I think
it would've been better to be playing than watching.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
They're calling for showers overnight Sat/Sun - but Sunday temps are predicted at 64° dropping only to 58° for overnight --- If they're right, that will definitely be better than the 30's...