2020 Louisville Slugger Genesis USSSA review

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
We had a chance to swing and review the 2020 LS Genesis. The bat is a one piece design and features LS traditional LS2X composite. We were swinging in 70 degree weather and using our normal mix of balls: Classic M's, 44/400 Icons, and WSL balls along with Evil Bp Rockets, Evil 52 Lites, Worth Maxspeeds, and old ASA 44/375s.

This bat was very good from the wrapper and never really had that traditional LS "tingy" sound, but more of a crack sound. I was hooked, because I loved the OG Nexxus and OG Catalyst. We probably put 200-250 swings on it during this bp film session. By the end it did sharktooth, so the final compression test was with the sharktooth crack. LS has always had great customer service, so I know I will be taken good care of. No worries.

My recommendations would be to give this 50-75 good bp swings with Evil 52 Lites and some Classic Ms, then save it for games to prolong the life of it. The performance was very good!

dirtyhands

Just ordered a 25oz this morning. It's been several years since I played, but I'm ready to get back on the field and I'm happy I was able to grab this stick before it sold out. The original Genesis, Catty's (yellow and green), Nexus, Triton (still my favorite) and Z1000 graced my bag back in the day. Glad to be back on the Slugger train!

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Just ordered a 25oz this morning. It's been several years since I played, but I'm ready to get back on the field and I'm happy I was able to grab this stick before it sold out. The original Genesis, Catty's (yellow and green), Nexus, Triton (still my favorite) and Z1000 graced my bag back in the day. Glad to be back on the Slugger train!

this new Genesis is a rocket launcher!! Maybe 50-75 good bp swings then keep it for games and it’ll last all season!

dirtyhands

this new Genesis is a rocket launcher!! Maybe 50-75 good bp swings then keep it for games and it’ll last all season!

My thoughts exactly! I started playing in the late 90's so I've seen plenty of fragile "gamer only" bats in my time. Aluminum boat oars and triangles to "green grenade" GEN1X double walls all the way to the super hot composites. The mix of durability and HOT out of the wrapper performance is the holy grail of bats - and a near impossible formula to crack or get right every time. Multiple manufacturers get it right early on with small production runs, but once mass-produced bats hit the market the quality variances can be all over the board.

I learned a LONG time ago to have a BP bat and my gamer. Apparently some people will never learn this lesson.

jhitman

We had a chance to swing and review the 2020 LS Genesis. The bat is a one piece design and features LS traditional LS2X composite. We were swinging in 70 degree weather and using our normal mix of balls: Classic M's, 44/400 Icons, and WSL balls along with Evil Bp Rockets, Evil 52 Lites, Worth Maxspeeds, and old ASA 44/375s.

This bat was very good from the wrapper and never really had that traditional LS "tingy" sound, but more of a crack sound. I was hooked, because I loved the OG Nexxus and OG Catalyst. We probably put 200-250 swings on it during this bp film session. By the end it did sharktooth, so the final compression test was with the sharktooth crack. LS has always had great customer service, so I know I will be taken good care of. No worries.

My recommendations would be to give this 50-75 good bp swings with Evil 52 Lites and some Classic Ms, then save it for games to prolong the life of it. The performance was very good!

Question, how did it hit the 52's in comparison with the other balls you hit? The ball seemed to be jumping off the bat. A little concerned about the durability issue though.....thoughts?

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Question, how did it hit the 52's in comparison with the other balls you hit? The ball seemed to be jumping off the bat. A little concerned about the durability issue though.....thoughts?

I feel like it still easily drove the 52's 300ft plus. I wouldn't be too concerned with the durability for two reasons. 1) we swing these to review and test their limits with all balls. If i truly wanted to game this bat, I would have bought several :) 2) most bats nowadays are going to be hot out of the wrapper, so premature breakdown can easily happen to any bat.

If you purchase this bat and want to prolong the life, then hit it against the 52s and Classic M's for 50-75 swings (depending how hard you determine that you swing) and save it for games because this bat is coming in hot!

jhitman

I feel like it still easily drove the 52's 300ft plus. I wouldn't be too concerned with the durability for two reasons. 1) we swing these to review and test their limits with all balls. If i truly wanted to game this bat, I would have bought several :) 2) most bats nowadays are going to be hot out of the wrapper, so premature breakdown can easily happen to any bat.

If you purchase this bat and want to prolong the life, then hit it against the 52s and Classic M's for 50-75 swings (depending how hard you determine that you swing) and save it for games because this bat is coming in hot!

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a new bat if we ever play again....LOL This bat caught my eye along with the DeMarini white ice bat. I appreciate the review you did especially when it's hard to get out and do normal stuff with the country in virtual lockdown. We are cancelled for the Spring/Summer season, but hoping they will open up things for Fall ball. Stay safe......

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Our parks and rec have told me 10 or less people at a BP session, so I am thankful for that. NC hasn't been hit really hard with this virus stuff so fingers crossed we will get to play some this year.

I think the Genesis will be a great performer this year for LS and maybe get them back into conversations. I grew up a huge fan of their stuff, but went away from it after the OG Z2K.

jhitman

Our parks and rec have told me 10 or less people at a BP session, so I am thankful for that. NC hasn't been hit really hard with this virus stuff so fingers crossed we will get to play some this year.

I think the Genesis will be a great performer this year for LS and maybe get them back into conversations. I grew up a huge fan of their stuff, but went away from it after the OG Z2K.

I sure would like to demo that bat. Me and a buddy got out last Friday and hit BP. He had purchased some 47 cor 525 comp softballs just to have some fun and break in some new bats he had bought. We hit these balls back in the day with Ultra2's and crayon Velocit-E's. Forgot how much fun it was to hit a real softball that had not been dummied down.

superfli18

Addicted to Softballfans

How was the weighting on this? I usually swing 1oz EL in a 27-27.5. Sometimes 28 on bats that swing lite for weight. Just curious what weight u swung and thoughts.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
How was the weighting on this? I usually swing 1oz EL in a 27-27.5. Sometimes 28 on bats that swing lite for weight. Just curious what weight u swung and thoughts.

When i ordered, LS was already sold out of 26 and 27s. I normally swing a 26oz bat so i thought it would be easier to go down 1oz than to try and move up 2oz. So i ordered the 25oz. The endload made me feel like i was swinging a 26oz bat so I’d say the 28s wouldn’t feel light because they’re suppose to be a full ounce of endload.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Just a little follow up. LS's great customer service was once again very good. However the Genesis was a limited release, so you wont get the option of that model back if yours breaks. But I'm happy with the 2020 Cuz :)

Last edited: