2020 Louisville Slugger Z5

PJ Moran

Can anyone tell me the difference between these three bats?

upload_2021-12-22_16-43-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-22_16-43-1.png
    upload_2021-12-22_16-43-1.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 4

PJ Moran

As @arther itis says, the 2 End-loaded bats are the same except for the paint job; the orange paintjob is the "regular" model whereas the black paintjob is the "limited edition Ryan Stover" player model. The Power-loaded bat, however, has an extra .5 oz load and comes in .5 oz weights (25.5oz, 26.5oz, 27.5oz)

Awesome! This was the kind of info I was looking for. I didn't notice "end load" vs. "power load". Just to be clear, "end load" is 1/2 oz. where "power load" is a full ounce.

jhitman

Does anyone know if any of those bats are equal to the OG Z-1000 (silver/black)? The OG Z-1000 really crushed the 52 cor softballs. All of the ones that followed were not anywhere near as good IMO.

D-ROCK13

Nope, they're more closely related to the newer z1000s just more flex in the handle. Take alot of breaking in, great for those who like to hit bp

jhitman

now you just gotta imagine one of those paint jobs on your bat and voila!
I sold mine to a teammate a few years back as I thought it was on it's last legs. He still uses it and seems to hit it better than all of the new bats he purchased. I don't know why bat manufacturers stop making their best bats and make new models. If you have a great bat like the Z-1000, Voltage or some other great bat, just keep the technology and do repaints.

blakcherry329

I sold mine to a teammate a few years back as I thought it was on it's last legs. He still uses it and seems to hit it better than all of the new bats he purchased. I don't know why bat manufacturers stop making their best bats and make new models. If you have a great bat like the Z-1000, Voltage or some other great bat, just keep the technology and do repaints.
Yeah, but then they wouldn't break after a season or half way through and you'd keep the bat forever. Can't have that.;)

jhitman

Yeah, but then they wouldn't break after a season or half way through and you'd keep the bat forever. Can't have that.;)

It's all about the almighty $$$. The list of my top performers in any given year were: Red Extended, Miken Freak, Ultra2, Lady Virus, OG Z-1000, White DC41 and now the Krecher (ASA). These were all bats I have owned as I know there are a lot of others too. Maybe several Monsta's more recently, but have not owned a Monsta. I saw an exit velocity test and the Krecher was right there with the Monsta's. Also, although the prices are comparable you don't have to pay that inflated warranty like you do on the Monsta's if you choose to purchase it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's all about the almighty $$$. The list of my top performers in any given year were: Red Extended, Miken Freak, Ultra2, Lady Virus, OG Z-1000, White DC41 and now the Krecher (ASA). These were all bats I have owned as I know there are a lot of others too. Maybe several Monsta's more recently, but have not owned a Monsta. I saw an exit velocity test and the Krecher was right there with the Monsta's. Also, although the prices are comparable you don't have to pay that inflated warranty like you do on the Monsta's if you choose to purchase it.
You have to recognize that durability is a negative selling point. It's actually a two fold issue. For one, they won't sell a new bat every year. The second though, is just as real and obvious. When eastons were durable, people would put five swings on them, think they were turds, and sell them. How many eastons did we get for $99? Remember when people were getting extendeds for that and selling them for 350 just a few months later? Now they break in instantly, and fail soon after, and they're everywhere. I've never seen more eastons in this area by a long shot.

The average softball player doesn't do what's in their own best interest the majority of the time. It's sad really.

Last edited:

jhitman

You have to recognize that durability is a negative selling point. It's actually a two fold issue. For one, they won't sell a new bat every year. The second though, is just as real and obvious. When eastons were durable, people would put five swings on them, think they were turds, and sell them. How many eastons did we get for $99? Remember when people were getting extendeds for that and selling them for 350 just a few months later? Now they break in instantly, and fail soon after, and they're everywhere. I've never seen more eastons in this area by a long shot.

The average softball player doesn't do what's in their own best interest the majority of the time. It's sad really.

I agree with you that durability is a negative selling point. If the bat manufacturer's make durable bats they will go out of business because none of them would break and no one would buy the new stuff. For me, I prefer the durable bats as I like to take the time/BP to break them in. Most people just want them to be hot out of the wrapper so they don't have to put in the time. I have a 4 year old orange DC41 and it's still hits the crap out of the ball even though it has wear and tear on it.