USSSA 2020 Rule Changes

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
New 2020 Rule book has been posted. A few big changes this year. Two rules from the Conference are now in the book for all of USSSA. The batter is not allowed to set up with their back foot in front of the plate. Any forward stride is allowed as long as the back foot is planted even or behind the front of the plate. And the ball is no longer dead when a foul ball would result in a strikeout.

Other changes: HR limits are up in every Men's division except Major. The Pro M ball (52/375) is legal for use at any level. Hit and Sit is now mandatory and not up to Tournament Director's discretion.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I thought the Pro M was 44/375? Classic Plus is 52/275.

Yeah, Pro M is .44 375 and C+ is .52 275. Great. Just what USSSA needs... another ball.

I thought they were just going to keep the Pro M for Viera or other super hot/humid places.

I wonder if conference events will use the Pro M or classic M.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, Pro M is .44 375 and C+ is .52 275. Great. Just what USSSA needs... another ball.

I thought they were just going to keep the Pro M for Viera or other super hot/humid places.

I wonder if conference events will use the Pro M or classic M.
I'm going based on what the rulebook says. I have not personally seen any of the Pro M's yet, they came out after my Conference schedule was done for the year. I asked on another forum that includes the National Slowpitch UIC, I will report back what he says.
My understanding is that Conference events will decide on which ball in advance but will vary based on the tournament. I know if you put this ball in Chicago last year it would have been horrible, but could easily have been used in Cincinnati.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm going based on what the rulebook says. I have not personally seen any of the Pro M's yet, they came out after my Conference schedule was done for the year. I asked on another forum that includes the National Slowpitch UIC, I will report back what he says.
My understanding is that Conference events will decide on which ball in advance but will vary based on the tournament. I know if you put this ball in Chicago last year it would have been horrible, but could easily have been used in Cincinnati.

Someone probably just goofed up the rulebook. Pro Ms are definitely .44 375. They don't have the softness or spring of a .52.

I agree most conference events shouldn't use the Pro M. Probably just those events on large fields in hot/humid places.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Someone probably just goofed up the rulebook. Pro Ms are definitely .44 375. They don't have the softness or spring of a .52.

I agree most conference events shouldn't use the Pro M. Probably just those events on large fields in hot/humid places.
I got some responses back. The rulebook is correct as it lists the maximum COR. UIC says he thinks that they are .47. DW, who is one of the most knowledgeable people about Conference USSSA says he was told they are .44.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
The batter is not allowed to set up with their back foot in front of the plate. Any forward stride is allowed as long as the back foot is planted even or behind the front of the plate
I found the 2020 rule book and it says this:
Further, the following batter’s box guidelines will be used: the batter must set up with his back foot no further forward than home plate. Any forward stride will be allowed. The batter will be called out, when either one or both of his feet are in contact with the ground COMPLETELY outside the lines of the batter’s box in front of home plate or when his foot is in contact with home plate while contact is made with the ball. Any batter, who runs forward through the batter’s box to hit a ball will be judged in or out of the box at the time they contact the ball. (SEE: ILLEGALLY BATTED BALL Rule 3 page 20)

Why would it matter if your foot starts in front of the plate if you don't end up with a foot completely outside the box. ? What is the purpose of the rule if there is already a rule that calls you out for being out of the box?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My reading of it is that you may no longer be called out for being outside the box forward during the stride. My understanding is that this started as a Conference rule, made it easy to enforce and noticeable very quickly. Also, if you start with your foot in front of the plate, it would be pretty difficult to stay inside the box anyway, you've only got 25 inches in front of the plate.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The batter is not allowed to set up with their back foot in front of the plate. Any forward stride is allowed as long as the back foot is planted even or behind the front of the plate
I found the 2020 rule book and it says this:
Further, the following batter’s box guidelines will be used: the batter must set up with his back foot no further forward than home plate. Any forward stride will be allowed. The batter will be called out, when either one or both of his feet are in contact with the ground COMPLETELY outside the lines of the batter’s box in front of home plate or when his foot is in contact with home plate while contact is made with the ball. Any batter, who runs forward through the batter’s box to hit a ball will be judged in or out of the box at the time they contact the ball. (SEE: ILLEGALLY BATTED BALL Rule 3 page 20)

Why would it matter if your foot starts in front of the plate if you don't end up with a foot completely outside the box. ? What is the purpose of the rule if there is already a rule that calls you out for being out of the box?
Because they don't call it, and this is easier for the umpires. You can correct him before the pitch instead of just calling him out like the old rule required. We all know an ump that might say something before but would never have the stones to call an upper player out on this.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
My reading of it is that you may no longer be called out for being outside the box forward during the stride. My understanding is that this started as a Conference rule, made it easy to enforce and noticeable very quickly. Also, if you start with your foot in front of the plate, it would be pretty difficult to stay inside the box anyway, you've only got 25 inches in front of the plate.

IMO, that is a sad statement of their opinion of their officials

Country469

it has more to do with pre marked permanent boxes in the conference than anything.

BLD fields, myrtle beach, etc any turf places will have a box already drawn, for baseball.

the pro m is a 44 375 that is supposed to be lighter than the old balls.

DW doesnt know **** about balls btw,

Country469

the mounds are portable.

I agree with you, the box is the same size regardless what is drawn or if there is anything.

The problem, from a conference pitcher specific issue here with me was this;

the box is TOO big. guys where standing way up in front of the plate in no box drawn scenarios, and that is a call most umps wont make unless its so egregious as to be unavoidable. Being out of the box at that level is common af, and even rarer its called.

tonys1

I thought you guys would be a little more excited by the forward stride rule. I'm sure they're not alone, but thinking of the Pauly & Beard videos. I guess it's allowed in ASA and won't affect them, but how ridiculous is that?

Country469

you'd have to be really really really tall and a really ****ty low ball hitter to need to stand that far up all the time.

its more about manipulating the strikes zone, and yes 100% I believe utrips conference umps struggle to call the zone as designed by rules

strojan kennison intructs them to call a smaller zone I would think

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. The batters box should be smaller for slowpitch than baseball, not bigger. It's freaking under hand.

Country469

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. The batters box should be smaller for slowpitch than baseball, not bigger. It's freaking under hand.

this rule has nothing to do with the actual boxes, and everything to do with making it easier on umpires and safer on pitchers.

I see this scenario play out all the time in the conference.

Local players not so much.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
this rule has nothing to do with the actual boxes, and everything to do with making it easier on umpires and safer on pitchers.

I see this scenario play out all the time in the conference.

Local players not so much.
Did you see the guy on kings getting blown up by the guy half way to the pitcher last spring? I'm exaggerating, but that was local. It's getting worse every year. The easiest fix is to just call the strike zone they determined.

Better yet, instead of saying the strike zone is based on a batter even with the plate, say it's as if the batter is standing with his front foot in the middle of the plate. Boom strike zone is moved back a whole foot.

Country469

You wouldn't have to worry about this if softball went back to a decent arc rule. 18-10 is so much safer for pitchers.

Utrip "lets make them throw flat fastsballs now to aid hitters more"

Also Utrip - " hey we know since its flat it doesnt affect you as much but don't move up in the box, K?"

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
it has more to do with pre marked permanent boxes in the conference than anything.

BLD fields, myrtle beach, etc any turf places will have a box already drawn, for baseball.

the pro m is a 44 375 that is supposed to be lighter than the old balls.

DW doesnt know **** about balls btw,

He really doesn't. He'd probably be the last guy I asked about anything of the sort.

I do find it funny that USSSA printed the wrong specs for the Pro M in their OWN rule book.

I'm not sure why they can't be like other sanctions and just print the cor/compression on the ball.

Country469

I'm not sure why they can't be like other sanctions and just print the cor/compression on the ball.

this ensures that utrip balls always get used for utrip sanctioned play. There is never a case of buying a 44 375 asa ball that way and it getting into play. If you require the classic M logo instead, utrip ensures their pockets stay lined

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You wouldn't have to worry about this if softball went back to a decent arc rule. 18-10 is so much safer for pitchers.

Utrip "lets make them throw flat fastsballs now to aid hitters more"

Also Utrip - " hey we know since its flat it doesnt affect you as much but don't move up in the box, K?"
Can you imagine trying to throw that in viera?

Don't forget removing courtesy foul and encouraging the pitcher to dance like a clown to "throw off the batter".

Last edited:

Country469

I was fortunate enough (I mean that) to get to play a couple of unlimited arc tournies in lower wisconsin when I still lived in chicago

****ing loved that style game

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Last time I played unlimited arc I struck out swinging and I still wish softball would go that route.

Gives some advantage back to the pitchers; a well-placed strike on the back corner is damn near impossible to hit with authority. And they actually have time to back up and get set.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
this ensures that utrip balls always get used for utrip sanctioned play. There is never a case of buying a 44 375 asa ball that way and it getting into play. If you require the classic M logo instead, utrip ensures their pockets stay lined

I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

Some BS tournies just say .44 375 and you see NSA, ASA, ISA, you name it.

Hagen49

I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

Some BS tournies just say .44 375 and you see NSA, ASA, ISA, you name it.
That's the thing I kind of hate at Skyview tourneys, they mandate the WSL 44 400, but it has to be the worth. A team showed up with a case of XRocks and couldn't use them.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans

He really doesn't. He'd probably be the last guy I asked about anything of the sort.

I do find it funny that USSSA printed the wrong specs for the Pro M in their OWN rule book.

They list the max specs in the rulebook. Same with the Classic +, there is a range listed.