2021 PA Thread - Field Info + Discussion

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Sorry to hear that about your Sunday league Ken. I know how much you love playing. I hope something
turns up for you to replace it.

I will definitely be there on Sunday, you got my number so give me a call that day and we can meet up.
A lot of good teams in this one, should be some good games. I just hope the weather cooperates ! :)

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
I am sure the director already knows who is coming....when should we expect the pool play schedule to be released?

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Been my experience with all tournaments that I've played in … the brackets/pool play information is usually
released the week of the tournament. Usually Wednesday or Thursday. By this time all teams are
pretty much locked in.

But again you can ask Tom Thomas to be sure, he is running this tournament, not Chris Wonder. He will let you
know when the Pool play information will be posted and where to see it.

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Hey Ken, we are a week away from the Razorback. Let me know if anything has changed for you.
If not I'll see you Sunday. :)

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Hey Scot - It was great hanging out today and catching some good softball - But once again, we got frozen out by the low temps and the increasingly strong winds... Can't we just have a nice warm Spring one of these years??!!??

Looking forward to the season - Subbing on Sundays & playing Senior League during the week...

Hopefully we'll get a chance to take some BP together sometime during the year...

%%%

RetMilVet

Project War Path
Hopefully next time we'll get better weather. :cool: It was still fun to hang out and catch up.
We'll have to work it out to do BP sometime. I'm always open to hitting and talking softball.

Speaking of BP … we had practice on Monday and I hit the ball well. My foot is feeling a lot better,
so now I'm getting pretty excited about the season. We play our first games this Tuesday 5/7. :)

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Well - My summer season is over - the team I was subbing on struggled all summer with a lot of errors...

Oh well, I'm looking forward to Fall Ball - I'll be playing with some of the guys from past years - hopefully a competitive team...

%%%

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Not quite over yet --- We have been rained out the past three Sundays - What pesky weather to mess up our schedule...

We are tied for 2nd place with 3 other teams - Don't know if we'll get to make up our games or not...

======================

No make up games - We got the #2 seeding and we're going directly into the final double-elim playoff/tournament...

All day Sunday...

%%%

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
We played our final Sunday tournament on Nov 3 ---

We won the 1st game - 16 - 6 thru 7 innings

We lost the 2nd game - 6 - 11 thru 7 innings - against the #1 team

We lost the 3rd game - 10 - 21 thru 7 innings...

Done for the year...

I hope everyone has a HAPPY THANKGIVING!!

%%%

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Spring is coming - March 19, 2020

ONLY 82 Days!

daffodils-in-spring_full_width.jpg

(Since this thread is so quiet, I guess I'll just run it into 2020 - rather than start another one)
%%%

asuneers17

Addicted to Softballfans
ONLY 55 Days

until Spring!

I've been out twice in January taking swings off my tee.
Looking forward to more softball this year...

https://howmanydaysuntil.center/Spring

Any chance you know of any teams in the Philadelphia area looking for a +1? I've tried a few leagues in the city and they're extremely noncompetitive. To the point I'd be afraid of hurting quite a few of the players with a simple throw to first or a hit right at them. Any suggestions would be super helpful!

-Darren

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Any chance you know of any teams in the Philadelphia area looking for a +1? I've tried a few leagues in the city and they're extremely noncompetitive. To the point I'd be afraid of hurting quite a few of the players with a simple throw to first or a hit right at them. Any suggestions would be super helpful!

-Darren

I hear that the Allentown area league is competitive, but I'm not familiar with leagues outside the central PA area.

Hopefully someone from the Philly area will pipe up - We used to have a few who monitored this thread, but didn't say much.

You might try contacting the various association's local rep to find out where competitive ball is being played. Or check the associations tournament lists and stop by those to see who's a local team in the tournament. You might be able to identify competitive leagues by contacting the association umpire groups.

Good Luck.

%%%

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Due to the Coronavirus Panic - All leagues have been postponed until AT LEAST May...

I've been out practicing alone with my Tee - It's peaceful, but I'm not getting any timing practice :(

%%%

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
It looks like my local Senior League bailed out on the season.

The gov is acting like a big bad wolf to blow down as many houses as possilbe.

Hopefully, my other league is more sensible.

%%%

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
My league near Toms River, NJ just started this weekend (7/12). probably would have been better to not have started at all. They put in rules to "reduce contact"

Force plays at every base. No sliding. You can over run 2nd and 3rd base.

2 games in and already 1 bad collision at 2nd base. Fortunately no broken bones or concussions. So we're risking broken legs and collar bones with the new rules, but as long as nobody gets the sniffles, we're good to go.

On a positive note I did go 9-9 with the game winner in game 1 and a bomb in game 2. Its all down hill from here.

ricorth07

Any softball going on in the Lewisburg, PA/ Sunbury area? Relocating from VT back to PA. As far as the Allentown question above, the league you may be referring to was the Lehigh Valley Church league (search eteamz.com/jesus), but their 2020 season was cancelled. That was around my hometown area, ultra competitive , played in it for many years before move to Vermont, don't let the league name fool you! We played on the two Velodrome fields mostly, a few others all the way up to Cherryville with a cornfield backdrop, very nice!

Anyway looking to get on a team(s) for fall ball or next year. Anybody need info on Burlington Vermont leagues, we have about 6-7 leagues in summer, but only three running (this summer), two fall ball leagues registering shortly. Masks optional but we had a fraction of cases, maybe even the least in country!

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Our list on Page One shows one entry for the Lewisburg Area - Click the LINK to see the field.

You'll probably have to check the various association tournament schedules to see who's playing in that area. Then stop by the tournaments to find local teams and check into the local leagues. Also check with the various rec departments of the city & surrounding townships & counties.

This thread has been pretty dead the last two years, except for me and RetMilVet.

Good Luck.

%%%

ricorth07

Well, I'm moving down the week of Aug 17th and would like to play at least some softball even if a game a two, and willing to drive. I'm keep checking back!

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Well - The 2020 Summer Season is over here in south central PA - We did not do well this year - Didn't make the play offs...

Seemed we had new guys on the field every week - Forfeited two games for lack of players - Two other games only 9-players - The cobbled-together teams didn't really have any on-field coordination or consistent capability...

On to Fall Ball in a few weeks - Hopefully with a bit different roster and better prospects for success...

%%%

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Well - Another year has rolled around... Hopefully, this year will be a more 'normal' year for softball. But I've come to expect haphazard and unexplained decisions by city rec depts, league directors, team managers and individual players. Softball has a lot of craziness swirling around it even in the best of years.

I hope our list of softball fields in Pennsylvania is helpful to those looking to play in different tournaments or are new to leagues in their area.

Since this thread has garnered only a few posts over the past year, I'll just keep it rolling forward.

I bought a Green Pop Toss to help practice timing for this year. Last year, with the Coronavirus Panic, I got very few team practices for live pitching. So, we'll see if the pop toss is helpful. I posted about it HERE.

If you're in PA and playing this year, take a minute from time to time to post up what's happening in your league.

%%%

Last edited:

Bridger80

Addicted to Softballfans
Spring Ding in Yatesboro this weekend, always a very nice tournament for a great cause, they had some late blackouts but all money goes to youth sports in the area. Even if not playing , beer and chicken are available.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Today is our final competition for 2022 Sunday Fall Ball - The League Tournament
is between the top 4 teams in each division (there were 3 divs).

We finished 2nd for the year in Division 2.
We are in the first playoff game for 9am - forecast is for 36°.
(Forecast for 62° at 4pm - after the tournament is OVER!)

Long-johns and Long-sleeves is the order of the morning...

%%%