2023 USSSA Rule Changes

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The following rule changes for the 2023 season have been announced. Please remember these are national rules, local leagues and tournaments can change them. These have all been posted by a USSSA director.

240 bats only in tournament play.

All substitutes must be reported to the plate umpire. Failure to do so will result in the ejection of the unannounced sub.

Fielders may not block the base/plate or obstruct the runner without the ball in their possession. This does not affect the crash rule.

Pitcher's must have contact with the Pitcher's Plate when the pitch is released.

Co-ed only: Female players with an elite tag can not drop down to a lower level. e.g. A female ranked as D Elite may not play Mixed E.

There are apparently two other proposals that have not been decided on, but they would not affect gameplay.

If I see anything else posted I will update here.

ETA: John Kings is reporting that in Conference USSSA next year players will no longer be allowed to step out of the box during their at bat. The penalty will be a strike called against them.

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
ETA: John Kings is reporting that in Conference USSSA next year players will no longer be allowed to step out of the box during their at bat. The penalty will be a strike called against them.
That seems unreasonable - It should be limited to ONE TIME OUT during each at bat. As a pitcher, I hate the constant step outs, but a limit of one time seems like the right approach.

%%%

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
That seems unreasonable - It should be limited to ONE TIME OUT during each at bat. As a pitcher, I hate the constant step outs, but a limit of one time seems like the right approach.

%%%
I completely understand why it went to zero. Certain players would delay the game even further by arguing that they hadn't called time previously. Certain teams would tell their players to call time just cause they can. I would put good money if you watched and timed the Major World Series Final, you would cut out 20 minutes by not allowing them to step out. Some of these guys were stepping out after every pitch. Do what you need to do to get set, get in the box and be in the box. You take that 20 minutes by 9 games a day that's three hours. You go from ending the night at 2am to ending at 11.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Utrip didn't automatically allow time when I first started pitching it. Why they got rid of that I will never understand. It was the one thing I thought utrip got right

It makes the pitcher actually throw a strike, but it keeps the batter close. Granted, if the ump gave them time then they'd take twice as long out of spite, so maybe this'll be better.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm most curious to see how this "in leagues" portion plays out. I've been running for my life in league for over a decade, so if they do anything I'll gladly lose what 220s I have left. I was planning on keeping the short barrel eastons for bp anyway. I didn't sell my Genesis and I don't like it.

That being said, I have no faith that utrip will handle this well. I've almost never agreed with anything they do. As someone said elsewhere, everything is one step forward with two steps back.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will say this, I've always thought this compression stuff was just an attempt to cya in case of lawsuits. If they allow 220s in league, they're just asking for it imo.

You can't say 220 is too dangerous, and then allow it anywhere.

You can't say, bbs is higher in tournaments, when the counter argument is so is bat control. I've been hit or hit at way more in leagues. They are more dangerous for pitchers, and have been for the 15+ years I've been pitching.

I don't see the legal arguments, but I'm also not a lawyer so it doesn't mean anything.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the expectation was that companies would sell out of the 220s within a year and they would fade away quickly. What happened is manufacturers jacked up production before the cut off, wholesalers like Smash It stockpiled inventory and that is why there are still so many NIW being sold. At Worlds there was an issue that because 220s could still be used, the decision was made that everything had to pass at 220 regardless of stamp, now everything has to have the 240 stamp and pass at 240.

Leagues have always had the ability to make whatever rules they want, in the 2012 stamp change some leagues and cities changed and required the new stamp before others. I'm sure some will go to 240 only, probably not 2023 but 2024 I'd expect to see some.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

%%%

I don't think there should be any timeouts granted except under dire circumstances (bug flies into a batter's eye or something). Around here it's a joke. Guys call time after every pitch, step out, wander around, adjust their batting gloves, ETC. It makes gameplay miserable.

Once a batter's in the box, he should be required to remain there until the end of an AB. If he/she has a gripe about a strike call, too bad. Deal with it later.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there should be any timeouts granted except under dire circumstances (bug flies into a batter's eye or something). Around here it's a joke. Guys call time after every pitch, step out, wander around, adjust their batting gloves, ETC. It makes gameplay miserable.

Once a batter's in the box, he should be required to remain there until the end of an AB. If he/she has a gripe about a strike call, too bad. Deal with it later.
It's standard here for them to step out and do all that crap after they get a strike. I guess they think they're icing me.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the expectation was that companies would sell out of the 220s within a year and they would fade away quickly. What happened is manufacturers jacked up production before the cut off, wholesalers like Smash It stockpiled inventory and that is why there are still so many NIW being sold. At Worlds there was an issue that because 220s could still be used, the decision was made that everything had to pass at 220 regardless of stamp, now everything has to have the 240 stamp and pass at 240.

Leagues have always had the ability to make whatever rules they want, in the 2012 stamp change some leagues and cities changed and required the new stamp before others. I'm sure some will go to 240 only, probably not 2023 but 2024 I'd expect to see some.
The only thing about that that I don't understand is I was under the impression that people had utrip leagues for insurance purposes. I thought that meant they had a policy in connection with utrip, and I don't see how that works if they allowed banned equipment.

If they get nothing from utrip why the hell have we been following their rules to this point then?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe that would be a discussion between the lawyers, and some places have a much greater risk tolerance than others. I know where I lived in MN there were two big reasons why leagues were sanctioned. It didn't cost them anything since it was included in their state recreation and park association membership and they did not have to hire umpires. They are contracted through a separate company.

It's standard here for them to step out and do all that crap after they get a strike. I guess they think they're icing me.
It's changed so much and gotten so bad in the 5 years I've been umpiring Conference. When I started only the major players did this, then it became the AA, then the A. C Worlds this year I rang a guy up for not getting back in the box for 20 seconds after I called a strike on him. I started this year really refusing to grant time once the pitcher was on the rubber. Let's get the keep the game moving. I really want to see what happens in Vegas when this gets enforced for the same time. Who's going to be the first to call this on Flip, Branch, Greinert etc.?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I believe that would be a discussion between the lawyers, and some places have a much greater risk tolerance than others. I know where I lived in MN there were two big reasons why leagues were sanctioned. It didn't cost them anything since it was included in their state recreation and park association membership and they did not have to hire umpires. They are contracted through a separate company.

It's changed so much and gotten so bad in the 5 years I've been umpiring Conference. When I started only the major players did this, then it became the AA, then the A. C Worlds this year I rang a guy up for not getting back in the box for 20 seconds after I called a strike on him. I started this year really refusing to grant time once the pitcher was on the rubber. Let's get the keep the game moving. I really want to see what happens in Vegas when this gets enforced for the same time. Who's going to be the first to call this on Flip, Branch, Greinert etc.?

I ump league, and even there you see guys starting to do this crap. They want time after every pitch, and they're in no hurry to get back in the batter's box. I'll speed the game along and make guys get in the box, and they don't like it at all. I rung one guy up last year when he never called time and was just standing there not paying attention. I guess batters just assume they have time between every pitch or something.

One thing I always tell batters is to never take their eyes off the pitcher. These idiots don't pay attention at all, then act surprised when the ball comes in for a strike.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
If this existing rule was regularly applied by umps, I doubt the new rule would have been put in place:

2021 USSSA - Rule 7 Sec3: A STRIKE IS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE:

G. When the batter delays entering the batter’s box after the umpire signals play
ball. After 10 seconds the umpire shall declare dead ball and a strike shall be called
on the batter.

But this rule needs to be applied as well:

2021 USSSA - Rule 7 Sec4: A BALL IS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE on each pitch ... if:
F. A pitched ball is not released within 5 seconds from the time the pitcher has the
ball and the batter has taken his position in the batter’s box.

%%%

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If this existing rule was regularly applied by umps, I doubt the new rule would have been put in place:
Partially agree, it's also wasting 20 seconds every at bat because we have to call time and sit there for 8-9 seconds to watch the cookie come in to call time again and make everybody wait 8-9 seconds again before we can finish the at bat.

There was a huge argument at C worlds about when the five second clock starts. Many pitchers tried to say the clock didn't start until the pitcher was set and had presented the ball. So some were calling it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not going to lie, if a team does this regularly, I start walking off every time they do it. If it continues, I just turn and face second and wait for my mi to say something or for the ump to.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
That was part of the argument. If I say "Play" when the batter is set, you now have 5 seconds to release the ball, some of these guys were standing almost at second base. Same with the batters that won't get into the box and set until the pitcher is ready to pitch. D/E Challenge cup is going to be fun trying to explain these rules.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I back pedal and get in a defensive position whether I throw a ball or a strike. It only irritates me when I throw a strike, walk back to the rubber, catch the throw back from the catcher, and THEN they step out. The ones that step out immediately don't bother me too much. They shouldn't do it to me at all because I'm a much better pitcher when I'm angry. Pitching isn't like batting, which I tend to suck at when I'm pissed lol.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought 3-1 count was a mandatory step out, 2-7 steps down the baseline, deep breath, 1-2 dry swings, adjust everything you're wearing, esp batting gloves multiple times, hold hand up, put one foot in box, ask for verbal, then stand there forgetting to provide said verbal?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
That was part of the argument. If I say "Play" when the batter is set, you now have 5 seconds to release the ball, some of these guys were standing almost at second base. Same with the batters that won't get into the box and set until the pitcher is ready to pitch. D/E Challenge cup is going to be fun trying to explain these rules.
Challenge Cup will be miserable to ump for the lower classes. All these guys want to act like badasses who play for Resmondo. They get really bent out of shape when you try to enforce rules and make the game flow properly.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
One final point, all of our our single and double walls are now toast too. Can't utrip put something in the rule like asa, unless"in the opinion of the umpire the old bat would clearly comply with performance standards"? I have a thumbprint double wall I bought just to have it when they banned all my old metal bats. Now it's scrap as well.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Challenge Cup will be miserable to ump for the lower classes. All these guys want to act like badasses who play for Resmondo. They get really bent out of shape when you try to enforce rules and make the game flow properly.
I'd rather deal with those guys than the jackwagons that actually play for Resmondo like I did last year. At D/E, the ones that don't like me can go cry to their director and I'll never hear anything about it. They can either change and play the game like they are supposed to or get an early start at the bar. When the Major guys *****, Stro comes over and sticks his nose in.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
One final point, all of our our single and double walls are now toast too. Can't utrip put something in the rule like asa, unless"in the opinion of the umpire the old bat would clearly comply with performance standards"? I have a thumbprint double wall I bought just to have it when they banned all my old metal bats. Now it's scrap as well.

I agree. I have a whole lot of 220 Eastons that will NEVER be hot. These bats test over 300. They should NOT be banned. Frankly, I think any 220 bat that tests over 240 before a tourny should be allowed.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'd rather deal with those guys than the jackwagons that actually play for Resmondo like I did last year. At D/E, the ones that don't like me can go cry to their director and I'll never hear anything about it. They can either change and play the game like they are supposed to or get an early start at the bar. When the Major guys *****, Stro comes over and sticks his nose in.

That sucks. It makes you afraid to make crucial calls against them when necessary. I hate to say it, but if someone like Flip Washington takes a perfect pitch down the middle with 2 strikes, someone has to ring him up.

It's dumb that umpires are too scared to lose their jobs to make legit calls.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a lose lose. I watch a bunch of those condensed games when I'm bored, and there was a guy that walked on a peach, and Don Jr was with the announcers calling the game and he says that has to be a strike. I don't know how that's not a strike.

I think I saw flip rung up twice this year, for sure in Texas.

I'd love the angled part of the plate to be a strike. There's no mark left where it hits to argue, not that that would stop anyone. Hell, make the whole plate a strike. It's freaking underhanded.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
That sucks. It makes you afraid to make crucial calls against them when necessary. I hate to say it, but if someone like Flip Washington takes a perfect pitch down the middle with 2 strikes, someone has to ring him up.
There are three main groups of Conference umpires, those that have the cred built to ring him up without consequences, those that play the politics of it and it has to be absolutely perfect to ring him up and those that don't care and will ring him up. I fall into that third category, he hates me. I rang him up twice in one game a couple years ago and then called him out in the Challenge Cup championship last year.
It's a lose lose. I watch a bunch of those condensed games when I'm bored, and there was a guy that walked on a peach, and Don Jr was with the announcers calling the game and he says that has to be a strike. I don't know how that's not a strike.

I'd love the angled part of the plate to be a strike. There's no mark left where it hits to argue, not that that would stop anyone. Hell, make the whole plate a strike. It's freaking underhanded.
If Donnie was doing commentary, this was at the Major World Series? They all know the strike zones of every umpire there very well. Some of them are so damn small you'd never get one called. Others encourage guys to swing. For the first time there is going to be a Conference Umpire seminar where we are all getting together to learn how the 4th floor wants us to call the game.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
For the first time there is going to be a Conference Umpire seminar where we are all getting together to learn how the 4th floor wants us to call the game.
This is better than every umpire having their own implementation of the rules.

HOWEVER ---- It would be significantly better to have a meeting WHERE THE RULES ARE CLEARLY DELINEATED and then the umpires are DEMANDED TO APPLY THE RULES AS WRITTEN.

It does little better good to have the Elite Directors enforcing their own ideas if that deviates from the rules. The rules should be clearly written and then absolutely followed so that everyone, at all levels - offense, defense, umps - are VERY CLEAR as to what is acceptable in the game.

And every ump, every year, should have to take a test to determine if they know what is 6-ft off the ground & what is 10-ft off the ground when the ball is at the apex of its flight.

%%%

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

The league I umpire is mat ball, and the plate is also a strike. Everyone still bitches about it, even though things have been that way forever.

Other mat ball leagues around here the plate isn't a strike.

Mat ball is cake. As a batter you know EXACTLY what will be a strike and what won't. The ump can't start inventing things.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
This is better than every umpire having their own implementation of the rules.

HOWEVER ---- It would be significantly better to have a meeting WHERE THE RULES ARE CLEARLY DELINEATED and then the umpires are DEMANDED TO APPLY THE RULES AS WRITTEN.

It does little better good to have the Elite Directors enforcing their own ideas if that deviates from the rules. The rules should be clearly written and then absolutely followed so that everyone, at all levels - offense, defense, umps - are VERY CLEAR as to what is acceptable in the game.

And every ump, every year, should have to take a test to determine if they know what is 6-ft off the ground & what is 10-ft off the ground when the ball is at the apex of its flight.

%%%

Agree. You can't have multiple standards. Conference games should be called the SAME way any lower game is. I mean, the USSSA strike zone is clearly defined. It sounds like conference umps are under extreme pressure to "go with the flow" and not ruffle the feathers of any big name player(s). In the long run that won't work. You can't show favoritism to guys just because you're afraid of them bitching when you call a strike.

I bet USSSA has a hard time finding guys willing to put up with the BS to ump conference. Nonstop drama, whining, and BS. Plus the games take for freaking ever with guys dawdling around and calling time after every pitch.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I bet USSSA has a hard time finding guys willing to put up with the BS to ump conference. Nonstop drama, whining, and BS. Plus the games take for freaking ever with guys dawdling around and calling time after every pitch.
It has certainly weighed into my decisions on what tournaments I want to go to and what types of tournaments I don't want to do. I won't go do duals because I'm not going to be able to put up with it for four straight full days. Made me very happy when I get assigned to women's games in Chicago all day saturday.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree. You can't have multiple standards. Conference games should be called the SAME way any lower game is. I mean, the USSSA strike zone is clearly defined. It sounds like conference umps are under extreme pressure to "go with the flow" and not ruffle the feathers of any big name player(s). In the long run that won't work. You can't show favoritism to guys just because you're afraid of them bitching when you call a strike.

This may be all unconfirmed rumor, but the weird going around about why Cincinnati was dropped from the conference schedule is no turf infield. They say that the sponsors don't want to pay to send people to a place that can't handle rain.

If you're pulling sites owned by Brian Wegman, after he held two tournaments during COVID so they could get the events in while other places couldn't, because sponsors are complaining that tells me they're heading down a very short pier. You can't run an organization like that and expect it to go anywhere.