2024 Foul ball/ Foul tip rule USA Softball

AZCARD

I understand that USA Softball has officially stated that a foul ball/ foul tip must go over the batter's head in Slowpitch to be out. Does anyone have access to the official Rules to post here? I know that over the last decade, organizations have had discrepancies.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
The "not over the player's head" language was removed a very long time ago. The 2024 rule changes posted on the USA softball site do not add it back in.

You can read the rule changes here - https://www.usasoftball.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/120/2023/11/RuleChangesWComments_110223.pdf

And the "not over the player's head" was part of the foul tip definition. It didn't mean that it had to go over a player's head to be caught for an out, just that a batted ball that otherwise met the definition of a foul tip but that also went above the player's head could not be a foul tip.

So in 2024 (and from the 2024 USA Softball Rulebook

Foul tip - A batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher’s hand(s) or glove/mitt and is legally caught by the catcher.

Foul ball - A batted ball that:
A. Settles or is touched (not caught) on or over foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base.​
B. Bounds or rolls past first or third base on or over foul territory.​
C. While over foul territory, touches the person, attached or detached equipment or clothing of a player or an umpire, or any object foreign to the natural ground.​
D. While over foul territory, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball.​
E. First hits the ground over foul territory beyond first or third base.​
F. Touches the batter or the bat in the batter’s hand(s) a second time while the batter is within the batter’s box.​
G. Goes directly from the bat to any part of the catcher’s body or equipment and is caught by another fielder.​
H. Hits the pitcher’s plate and rolls untouched to foul territory before reaching first or third base.​
A foul tip is a strike every time. If it's the third strike it's an out.
A foul ball is also a strike but is only an out when it's the third strike in slow pitch (fast pitch and modified are like baseball when dealing with multiple foul balls).
A batted ball that is caught legally and is not a foul tip is an out every time.

Try not to over complicate it.

MaverickAH

Eddie’s has given you the rule book definition.

In practice, a foul tip is as indicated the the USA rule book. “A batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher’s hand(s) or glove/mitt and is legally caught by the catcher.” In other words, no discernible change in direction.

If there is a discernible change in directions? That’s defined as a Foul Ball. There is absolutely no height requirement that needs to be met.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
A foul tip is rarely seen in slowpitch, IMO mostly due to the speed of the pitch (arc).

MaverickAH

A foul tip is rarely seen in slowpitch, IMO mostly due to the speed of the pitch (arc).

I’d agree with you about that but it does happen at the lower end of the skill level especially with players who are either just starting out or are uncoordinated.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I've called it in slow pitch. One dude in the Special Olympics tipped three on two separate at bats. But the pitcher was throwing with little arc (called them illegal) and the batter swung through tipping them each time. Catcher actually hung on to them each time.

But in practice and on average, it is rare in a slow pitch game for sure.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I understand that USA Softball has officially stated that a foul ball/ foul tip must go over the batter's head in Slowpitch to be out. Does anyone have access to the official Rules to post here? I know that over the last decade, organizations have had discrepancies.
I think you are confused, it was not USA Softball that changed their definition, but USSSA. USSSA now expressly states that anything that does not clear the batter's head and is caught by the catcher is a foul tip in slow pitch. I will be getting clarification in about a month on whether that is still true if it hits the catcher somewhere other than the hand or glove. There is nothing in writing yet, 2024 rulebooks have not been printed or uploaded yet.