240 PSI?

rkjunior

Laser show, RELAX.
Anyone else get wind that USSSA is changing bat standards (again) with a potential 240psi limit? Rumor was next year..

4xtra

Player/Coach
If that is actually true,
Miken, Worth and easton would have to RECALL all of their bats in stock because all of their bats after 2017 would fail NIW.
If they didnt, there would be a class action lawsuit
Demarini just settled one last year over another different situation.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
240 won't really do any good. If USSSA is serious about changing things they need to make it 275 or even 300 compression.

That said, I think all this is a rumor. I'd be in favor of deadening the bats though.

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
Someone on my team here in North Texas was spreading this rumor as well, but said 2021 at the earliest. I doubt they'd do it without about a 2 year warning, like they did the last time. That way bat manufacturers have time to adjust, players have time to buy new bats, and (more importantly) manufacturers wouldn't have to recall bats. In the end, money > everything.

However, I have no idea of the validity of this rumor. I heard it would be a new stamp and a new compression testing threshold.

To me, compression testing means almost nothing; 220 on one bat is different from 220 on another bat. If the whole 220 is 220 was true, the Easton Fireflexes would be outhitting every other bat by 50 feet once broken in because they test at 180. What really needs done is changing the 1.20 BPF standard to a lower number.

SwingTheD206

260 was originally proposed, but the agreement is 240. It won't go into effect until 2021 at the earliest. The only rumor is whether or not there will be a new stamp.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
260 was originally proposed, but the agreement is 240. It won't go into effect until 2021 at the earliest. The only rumor is whether or not there will be a new stamp.

I don't know why there'd be a stamp change if USSSA went with a higher compression standard. When the thumbprint stamp came out, compression testing wasn't even a thing.

I hope there isn't a New stamp, I wanna swing my OG lv1. Yes I think they'll pass at even at 240

Unless you have 3k swings on your LV1 you're probably good.

Redsfan

I'd be for higher compression. Not every player needs to be able to go yard. I would bet that more than half of the players in our league can hit it out on our 310 foot fences. Many of them wouldn't get it out of the infield in the aluminum bat days. Ugly swings.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody is going to have to recall bats. Utrip is one association. If they change their standard then the baybat compan can easily say they have to change their stamp because the bats in shelves were legal when they put the stamps on it, not my problem. If they don't change the stamps they're going to have one of those stupid fine page lists like asa.

I've seen plenty of fire flexes test over 240 in the wrapper. Utrip already gave them the stamp. They're covered. Utrip might give the companies two years, but they don't owe us anything. You can play something else if you don't like it. You've always had that choice.

260 would've been fine. My avarice tested at 265 and it's plenty hot. 220 has always been stupid. It didn't take the makers long to figure out how to beat this test.

lakeyale13

Manager
This whole thing is getting out of control. Fixing the problem isn't to make things more complicated...make things simpler. Go back to single wall aluminum bats and rocks. Problem solved.

4xtra

Player/Coach
""You can play something else if you don't like it. You've always had that choice""

That choice was already made,
Keep in mind that I do not play Utrip, (Except tournaments)
but the standards are out of wack, because these new sticks fail way too fast.
That is why I have NO ISSUE including "old school" bats in the mix with my gamers...

As a matter of fact
If they went with single wall bats, I would be OK with that .....

lakeyale13

Manager
""You can play something else if you don't like it. You've always had that choice""

That choice was already made,
Keep in mind that I do not play Utrip, (Except tournaments)
but the standards are out of wack, because these new sticks fail way too fast.
That is why I have NO ISSUE including "old school" bats in the mix with my gamers...

As a matter of fact
If they went with single wall bats, I would be OK with that .....

Easiest fix would be single wall bats and go back to original balls.

4xtra

Player/Coach

We have asked several LD's in several Utrip leagues (Tournament and League)
to at least consider the 52/275 Classic W and we were BLOWN OFF..
They are adamant about staying with that Classic M.....
Player Safety is significantly enhanced with the 52/275 vs playing with the Classic M

lakeyale13

Manager
Player Safety is significantly enhanced with the 52/275 vs playing with the Classic M

Player safety needs to be considered for sure. I think a mask, in the very least, should be mandatory for pitchers.
But, if you are playing in a competitive league against good athletes injury is always going to be a possibility. Injury is an inherent risk in all sports. If one cannot come to terms with that fact then another hobby might be a good option.

Bad hops are going to happen. Collisions in the outfield are going to happen. Base runners colliding with an infield player is going to happen. That is the risk that all sports have. A constant reduction in the performance of bats and balls will eventually change the game into something completely different at some point.

I am convinced that the majority of injuries (really really bad ones) are due to someone playing a position that has no business playing or incredibly poor positioning. For example, If you are playing in a competitive league against good athletes and you are playing 3rd, SS or 2nd base and you didn't play that position in High School I think you are being negligent to your own safety. You are taking a significant risk. Also, if you are playing 3rd or 1st and a Masher comes up to the plate and you aren't positioned close to the outfield grass that is on you and you are putting your personal safety at risk.

The percentage of injuries that happen outside of a player playing a position they never should be playing, or positioning themselves in a dangerous area have to be incredibly small and fall within the percentage of injuries / accidents that will happen with playing a sport.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Player safety needs to be considered for sure. I think a mask, in the very least, should be mandatory for pitchers.
But, if you are playing in a competitive league against good athletes injury is always going to be a possibility. Injury is an inherent risk in all sports. If one cannot come to terms with that fact then another hobby might be a good option.

Bad hops are going to happen. Collisions in the outfield are going to happen. Base runners colliding with an infield player is going to happen. That is the risk that all sports have. A constant reduction in the performance of bats and balls will eventually change the game into something completely different at some point.

I am convinced that the majority of injuries (really really bad ones) are due to someone playing a position that has no business playing or incredibly poor positioning. For example, If you are playing in a competitive league against good athletes and you are playing 3rd, SS or 2nd base and you didn't play that position in High School I think you are being negligent to your own safety. You are taking a significant risk. Also, if you are playing 3rd or 1st and a Masher comes up to the plate and you aren't positioned close to the outfield grass that is on you and you are putting your personal safety at risk.

The percentage of injuries that happen outside of a player playing a position they never should be playing, or positioning themselves in a dangerous area have to be incredibly small and fall within the percentage of injuries / accidents that will happen with playing a sport.
you are right..
I play 3rd alot and even playing the on the grass,
that ball comes at you in a flash with ANY ball in play.

Many guys do not like playing 3rd for that very reason.

But the risk, overall is real.
I have a ASA game today at a park where years ago someone at this same park was hit by a ball
and DIED the next day at work.
I know another guy who has to wear a helmet because he was also struck by the ball and
ended up with an aneurysm and had to have emergency surgery.

In regards to the 52/300,
Personally, I honestly feel that if you are a TRUE athlete,
you will play and perform in any scenario that is thrown at you and that includes the 52/300 in ASA
and any other rule changes that are made.

People complain about that ball and I was one of them,
but now, I actually I like hitting the 52/300.

Now in regards to the so called 240 PSI rumor,
I would be ok with that as well because almost all of my "old school" bats
would still pass and I game and rotate all of them on a regular basis.

Today, at our double header
I plan on gaming the
Easton USL4 ASA
Easton L6 ASA
Easton Ronin Dual action and
19Juggy ASA

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I am convinced that the majority of injuries (really really bad ones) are due to someone playing a position that has no business playing or incredibly poor positioning.

The problem is hitting ability has become so disproportionate to fielding ability because of technology. We end up with out of shape, un-athletic slobs hitting 90-100mph lasers at other out of shape, un-athletic slobs.

lakeyale13

Manager
you are right..
I play 3rd alot and even playing the on the grass,
that ball comes at you in a flash with ANY ball in play.

Many guys do not like playing 3rd for that very reason.

But the risk, overall is real.
I have a ASA game today at a park where years ago someone at this same park was hit by a ball
and DIED the next day at work.
I know another guy who has to wear a helmet because he was also struck by the ball and
ended up with an aneurysm and had to have emergency surgery.

In regards to the 52/300,
Personally, I honestly feel that if you are a TRUE athlete,
you will play and perform in any scenario that is thrown at you and that includes the 52/300 in ASA
and any other rule changes that are made.

People complain about that ball and I was one of them,
but now, I actually I like hitting the 52/300.

Now in regards to the so called 240 PSI rumor,
I would be ok with that as well because almost all of my "old school" bats
would still pass and I game and rotate all of them on a regular basis.

Today, at our double header
I plan on gaming the
Easton USL4 ASA
Easton L6 ASA
Easton Ronin Dual action and
19Juggy ASA

I agree with most of what you put out there. I just worry that some organizations / people are having the goal of taking all the risk away / trying to make the game 100% safe. I think that goal is impossible. Make the game safe for sure...just know you can only reduce risk not take it away.

On the financial end, (and I don't even have compression testing in my league) I think it is crazy to have people shell out good money for 2 bats and realize that after a couple of rounds of BP one could have nothing but a paperweight on their hands. Who has that kind of money? Also, I see your strategy of rotating bats so compression failure doesn't happen / is greatly delayed. That is a good strategy but man, I love having a "gamer" and sticking with her till she dies rather than having to switch out every game for fear of compression failure. Just seems ridiculous.

lakeyale13

Manager
The problem is hitting ability has become so disproportionate to fielding ability because of technology. We end up with out of shape, un-athletic slobs hitting 90-100mph lasers at other out of shape, un-athletic slobs.

This might sound harsh, but in the scenario you are using as an example (and I wouldn't want anyone seriously hurt), let softball's version of "survival of the fittest" play out. If you are an un-athletic slop and you're playing SS or 3B then I hope a laser comes at you and scares the He** out of you (not hurt you but scare you) and you quit playing that position.

4xtra

Player/Coach
I agree with most of what you put out there. I just worry that some organizations / people are having the goal of taking all the risk away / trying to make the game 100% safe. I think that goal is impossible. Make the game safe for sure...just know you can only reduce risk not take it away.

On the financial end, (and I don't even have compression testing in my league) I think it is crazy to have people shell out good money for 2 bats and realize that after a couple of rounds of BP one could have nothing but a paperweight on their hands. Who has that kind of money? Also, I see your strategy of rotating bats so compression failure doesn't happen / is greatly delayed. That is a good strategy but man, I love having a "gamer" and sticking with her till she dies rather than having to switch out every game for fear of compression failure. Just seems ridiculous.
When it comes to bats.....

My motto is

If you bring'em
SWING'EM

These all hold compression well but I figure if I spent money on them to get them,
I might as well get my moneys worth instead of letting them sit in the bat bag

They all perform very well..

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Easiest for whom? The companies have spent all this money researching composites. Building facilities to manufacture them.

I wouldn't mind then either, but I actually played with them for years, and I don't think too many people are going to be cool with going back to them. If you think they're mad about things now I want to be standing there when their new bat dents on the first swing.

lakeyale13

Manager
Easiest for whom? The companies have spent all this money researching composites. Building facilities to manufacture them.

I wouldn't mind then either, but I actually played with them for years, and I don't think too many people are going to be cool with going back to them. If you think they're mad about things now I want to be standing there when their new bat dents on the first swing.

No, I totally get it. I have no problem with the manufacturers. I have problem with the people that want to test bats down to such a stupid level that 1-5 rounds of BP can make a bat completely obsolete.

The efforts for player safety are getting close to absurd. I have seen multiple blown out knees and broken legs (broke my own fibula) playing flag football in the 4 years I played. I have yet to see any major injuries in 8 years of softball. I guarantee the number of softball related injuries is substantially less than any other recreation sport (basketball, soccer, flag football, etc.). It is freaking slow pitch softball for goodness sakes. What compression testing is doing to the sport and peoples pocket books is ridiculous. At least my $.02

Babynate

Coach
I think there is a lot of people that believe they can play the game better then they can, not to say anyone is bad at the game just know your own limits on the field. Changing the ball will not change the fact the sport we all love can and is dangerous when not respected. I've seen great players get hurt on the field an that will happen no matter what ball or bat we use. Jmo.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is technically true, but they're almost always weekend warrior thinks he's better than he is. I've also never seen one of these injuries caused by the equipment.

People are going to get hurt, but there is also a level where things need to change. Saw a pitcher get hit in the last game before mine this weekend. He walked it off, but I'd say I've seen as many hospital injuries playing softball as flag football, and I've had to go to the hospital because of flag football myself.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

CO USSSA switched to C+ for tournies a few years ago. Before that, they mandated that teams had to supply their own ZN classic Ms. CO is cold/cool for about half the softball season. ZNs were completely out of control, and even the TDs saw it. 300' fields became a total joke, and even average teams would hit 12+ balls out a game.

You'll still get the occasional guy who bitches about not using classic Ms, but most players don't mind C+s at all. Trust me, its still plenty easy to hit C+s out regularly here.

In a perfect world, USSSA would get rid of the classic M entirely and just go with the C+. Someone in their hierarchy is stubborn, and they keep holding onto it. The classic M is a turd of a ball. It doesn't perform properly unless its about 75-85 degrees. Anything outside of that and the ball is either rock hard or complete dead mush.

At least with a C+ you'll get a mush ball with some bounce to it. Classic Ms get mushy and become the deadest balls known to mankind.

On a side note, I swing almost the same exact ASA bats as you.... and I don't have any problems hitting .52 300s effectively with them.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
I've also never seen one of these injuries caused by the equipment.

In my 20+ years of playing this game, out of all of the real injuries I've seen (injuries that required actual medical attention, and not just a bruised shin or something)...only a handful were the result of a batted ball, and even less were the result of a ball that was hit so hard that the player didn't have time to react.