44 375's vs. 52 300's

jayclaxtowne

Addicted to Softballfans
my league is deep into our first season with the 52 300's.
there is no question that these balls dont carry like the 44 375's
jutst wondering how many feet you guys think these balls are taking away

[we used zulus our last year with the 44 375 and the new zulus this year [so the comparison is accurate]

im not looking for answers like " a good hiiter can hit any ball,etc..] im talking about feet.

RSTLNE

Addicted to Softballfans
What I have noticed as far as distance is concerned, a good hitter can REALLY hit just about any ball and it'll fly. In my league, with the teams that I've played against and am more familiar with, the dudes who smash still smash and the base hitters/warning track power guys are still doing what they do. For me, my spray chart is still the same regardless of the 44/375, 44/400, 52/300, and whichever ball ASA/NSA has used. The manager of my team has been sticking with the Dudley Thunder SY through all the compression changes that we've gone throughout the years. Actually, what I have noticed, is the ball/brand matters more than anything.

The thing I have noticed MOST about the 52/300 balls is that they bounce and take crazy hops like a mot*******er. Even fielding in the outfield I've noticed the balls taking some crazy hops when rolling and bouncing through to me.

jayclaxtowne

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont know man, the scores are down and and its the same players, the only guys that are hitting hr's are the real power hitters, period, its the balls.

bgw223

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the 52"s fly very well. Have not had a problem hitting them out. With new line miken or worths. What kind of bats are you all hitting them with?

The quality matters more than the specs.

A good .52 will go farther than a garbage .44....at least speaking NSA balls. I know you are talking ASA, but I don't think the results would be much different.

My local complex went from .44 SY's to .52 SY's and the difference was pretty noticeable. Scores were down at least 10 runs a game - usually more. The lower leagues were the most upset because the was no offense any more. There was push back from the teams over the ball and now the .44s are back. I figure similar things to happen with that (quality) level of ASA balls as well.

My guess on decreased distance in my games was 30-40 feet. Very few balls even made it to the fence when the league was used to 3-5 HR's a game per team.

Edit: My tournament team uses Tattoo .52s and they fly just fine.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a ball that punishes the hitters that square it up.....the ones that have the HR spin swing will still air it out.....someone is going to lose their face due to the crazy hop/spins of the ball somewhere along the way, only a matter of time before the 1st big lawsuit.....

jayclaxtowne

Addicted to Softballfans
we are hitting with all the new line demarini's , etc... im just comparing zulu to zulu, the 44's go farther than the 500's, forget abot spin,hops etc.. i wasjust wondering if anyone had an opinion on how mch farther they travel, cause they do,period... if you really play with them let me know,

justwhippin

Addicted to Softballfans
The quality matters more than the specs.

A good .52 will go farther than a garbage .44....at least speaking NSA balls. I know you are talking ASA, but I don't think the results would be much different.

My local complex went from .44 SY's to .52 SY's and the difference was pretty noticeable. Scores were down at least 10 runs a game - usually more. The lower leagues were the most upset because the was no offense any more. There was push back from the teams over the ball and now the .44s are back. I figure similar things to happen with that (quality) level of ASA balls as well.

My guess on decreased distance in my games was 30-40 feet. Very few balls even made it to the fence when the league was used to 3-5 HR's a game per team.

Edit: My tournament team uses Tattoo .52s and they fly just fine.

Yes this^^^^^^^^^^ get a good 52 and they will fly ok. The dudley sy 52's really suck compared to the zn hycon's so spend the few extra bucks and get a good 52 ball. The cover matter's alot as well and for me i would get a composite cover over anything else than leather.... stay away from sythetic cover 52's they just suck

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen the 52 go 350+ up here already (wind may have helped but still). A lot less miss hit HRs tho

jayclaxtowne

Addicted to Softballfans
i agree, a lot less miss hit homeruns... great hitters are gonna hit regardless, but these balls have definitly taken hr's away from average hitters with sneaky power, i think that's fair, [i can only speak to the zulu 500's havent hit any other of the new balls...

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
i agree, a lot less miss hit homeruns... great hitters are gonna hit regardless, but these balls have definitly taken hr's away from average hitters with sneaky power, i think that's fair, [i can only speak to the zulu 500's havent hit any other of the new balls...

Here is the plain truth. Comparing a decent 44/375 you get better true hops on the ball, the ball has feedback when you hit it and the game is more enjoyable with offense. The 52's are a sponge, their bounces are ridiculous, and the offense goes way down. There is a 20% distance in balls and the 52's punish you unless you cut or spin a ball.

sscroggin

Yada Yada Yada
Here is the plain truth. Comparing a decent 44/375 you get better true hops on the ball, the ball has feedback when you hit it and the game is more enjoyable with offense. The 52's are a sponge, their bounces are ridiculous, and the offense goes way down. There is a 20% distance in balls and the 52's punish you unless you cut or spin a ball.

Roger that.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the ball is fine, it just shows who can hit and who can't

It's really indicative of who is willing to make the necessary adjustments to be successful against that ball. For the majority, in order to make these balls fly, you will need to cut them. [/Logic]

Figured I would throw my two cents in.
I have seen more mis hit and non power hitters hit HRs this year than ever before. With the new bats and 52's, they just pop really well. Those who didn't have much power, but still cut the ball, it just sails.
On the flip side, I have seen less line drive HR's than with the 44's.
Consensus: quality of balls and the way it is hit determine overall distance. Personally, I'm getting better with the 52's but would still rather use the 44's all day long.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
When they first came out were still using older bats and the quality of the 52 were not as good HR were way down but with all these new asa only bats I see more HR's and deep balls than ever before . A few weeks ago play short I saw the hardest hit ball I've ever saw in any league or tournament came right at me didn't even have time to hardly move my glove at just sailed right by my head .

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is not what I've seen, but I started playing in the early 90's.

If you think a 44/375 has a true hop, then I can understand that point of view, but I've always disliked the way the 44s hug the ground and then hop up for no reason. The M's are even worse.

Except for a couple of outlaw tounaments we have limited homeruns. The offense is only going down here for people that don't know their role.

I have not seen anywhere near a 20% reduction in distance. I haven't seen any reduction in distance when the hitter doesn't know what's coming, so it leads me to believe any perceived reduction is all in their heads.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Jay, Im out here in the 413, Im happy to send you a couple Evil ASA52s to hit if you like. Just let me know

pontiacfb78

Star Player
New question for the thread.

How do the new .52-300s stack up against the .44-300s?

Our league uses (no idea of the quality) Crusher .44-300s, and a lot of the guys complain that they don't carry like the .44-375s (duh, right?). Would the average hitters still see the same distances, but the good hitters might be able to get more from a .52?

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
if the fence is 300' does it make any difference if the ball goes 310 or 375? OR are we looking to make every schlep that every picked a bat able to hit dingers on every at bat....really? Come on....

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Nobody has mentioned a huge factor when hitting 52's for distance, wind. On a hot day with the wind blowing out, it's my experience the 52 will fly further than a 44. But, trying to punch one >300' into the wind is extremely difficult, you can't drive it like the 44's and spinning it into a strong wind is like hitting into a net. Lot of retards chasing kites in the OF when a strong wind is blowing in and 52's are being served.

seasonedvet16

The Veteran
We use a tattoo 52 300 with wood and the ball flies just fine, regardless Of temps. No noticable difference between the tattoo 44 375 that we used last year. I've used a 52 300 Zulu on a hot day 80+ and it was a sponge. The white steels were hitting the ball better than composites. I'd be curious to see how the evil 52 and hycons perform.