Other A different take on the Infield Fly Rule ( I know there's a sticky)

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
I would be interested to see comments on this definition of the Infield Fly Rule from the current SSUSA rulebook (posted below). Apparently, it has been revised in the last couple of years to simply define any fair fly ball that can be caught by any fielder (assuming the other criteria are met, i.e., less than two outs, runners on 1st & 2nd, or 1st, 2nd, & 3rd) as an infield fly.

Doesn't this say that a deep fly ball to an outfielder who is in position to make a routine catch could be an "infield fly," or am I reading something into it that isn't there?

1.41 • INFIELD FLY (From current SSUSA Rulebook).
A fair fly ball (not including a line drive) that can be caught by any fielder with ordinary effort when first and second bases or first, second and third bases are occupied with less than two outs. Any fielder can catch an infield fly.

lb16

the natural
You're probably reading into it too much the wording is probably too take into effect when teams are playing a 5 man infield to include the extra infielder. you're not going to see an INF rule called when a ball is hit deep in the outfield. And I think the heading in the rule " INFIELD FLY" means a ball hit in the infield.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
1.41 • INFIELD FLY (From current SSUSA Rulebook).
A fair fly ball (not including a line drive) that can be caught by any fielder with ordinary effort when first and second bases or first, second and third bases are occupied with less than two outs. Any fielder can catch an infield fly.

Just a side note, the highlighted portion has been a pet peeve of mine for decades. It is basically an indictment of the intelligence of those in the game of softball.

The highlighted portion is just outright ****ing stupid. If the highlighted portion is true, is it not so that the underlined portion is true?

Third base is irrelevant to the rule and has no place in the rule, but there it is.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Just a side note, the highlighted portion has been a pet peeve of mine for decades. It is basically an indictment of the intelligence of those in the game of softball.

The highlighted portion is just outright ****ing stupid. If the highlighted portion is true, is it not so that the underlined portion is true?

Third base is irrelevant to the rule and has no place in the rule, but there it is.

There was probably a lawyer involved in creating the rule set if you've ever seen how regulation construction goes. If they didn't put it in there (as stupid as it is) there would be arguments/protests saying that it doesn't apply because the situation (based loaded) isn't addressed. Common sense says one thing, but there's always going to be someone, somewhere to argue it since it isn't clearly and unambiguously addressed.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
You're probably reading into it too much the wording is probably too take into effect when teams are playing a 5 man infield to include the extra infielder. you're not going to see an INF rule called when a ball is hit deep in the outfield. And I think the heading in the rule " INFIELD FLY" means a ball hit in the infield.

Actually, what led to the discussion that made me aware of this rule change was a question I asked as to when an 11th player, which is utilized in 70+ senior ball, is an infielder and when is he/she and outfielder.

ureout

The Veteran
the only purpose for the rule is to protect the base runners--- do you really think a fielder not catching or purposely dropping a long fly ball would put the base runners in peril

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
There was probably a lawyer involved in creating the rule set if you've ever seen how regulation construction goes. If they didn't put it in there (as stupid as it is) there would be arguments/protests saying that it doesn't apply because the situation (based loaded) isn't addressed. Common sense says one thing, but there's always going to be someone, somewhere to argue it since it isn't clearly and unambiguously addressed.

Actually, this stupidity has been there since the beginning, but probably came about when someone read "first and second" and probably stated, "but what if it is first, second and third?"

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
the only purpose for the rule is to protect the base runners--- do you really think a fielder not catching or purposely dropping a long fly ball would put the base runners in peril

Of course not, but doesn't the SSUSA rule make it an "infield fly." It might have the reverse effect of rewarding the defense if the outfielder drops the ball (not all that uncommon in senior ball, especially the older age groups).

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
For the entire rest of the baseball and softball world, an infield fly must be routinely catchable by an infielder.

Note that I didn't say that it must be caught by an infielder, only that it must be catchable by an infielder. That does not preclude an outfielder from making the catch. An outfielder can run in and, say, catch the pop up right behind second base and could still be an infield fly.

My best guess would be that SSUSA was attempting to clarify the above point- that it's possible for even an outfielder to catch an infield fly- and botched up the wording. What they've written literally changes the definition of an infield fly as it's existed for over 100 years! As their rule is written, a fly ball to the outfield fence could be an infield fly. That doesn't make sense. Then again, I don't work that sanction and know nothing about it. Maybe this is precisely what they intended?

ureout

The Veteran
For the entire rest of the baseball and softball world, an infield fly must be routinely catchable by an infielder.

Note that I didn't say that it must be caught by an infielder, only that it must be catchable by an infielder. That does not preclude an outfielder from making the catch. An outfielder can run in and, say, catch the pop up right behind second base and could still be an infield fly.

My best guess would be that SSUSA was attempting to clarify the above point- that it's possible for even an outfielder to catch an infield fly- and botched up the wording. What they've written literally changes the definition of an infield fly as it's existed for over 100 years! As their rule is written, a fly ball to the outfield fence could be an infield fly. That doesn't make sense. Then again, I don't work that sanction and know nothing about it. Maybe this is precisely what they intended?

actually it's pretty cut and dry much like ASA's except they added.. (Any fielder can catch an INFIELD FLY.) it does specifically say INFIELD FLY not OUTFIELD FLY.. I'm not sure how the OP can confuse them

SSUSA RULE
1.41 • INFIELD FLY
A fair fly ball (not including a line drive) that can be caught by any fielder with
ordinary effort when first and second bases or first, second and third bases are
occupied with less than two outs. Any fielder can catch an infield fly.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
actually it's pretty cut and dry much like ASA's except they added.. (Any fielder can catch an INFIELD FLY.) it does specifically say INFIELD FLY not OUTFIELD FLY.. I'm not sure how the OP can confuse them

SSUSA RULE
1.41 • INFIELD FLY
A fair fly ball (not including a line drive) that can be caught by any fielder with
ordinary effort when first and second bases or first, second and third bases are

What do you expect from a bunch of old ****s who should have found another game by now? :)

ureout

The Veteran
lol... seriously have you ever seen some of those old sh***s play... scary some of the plays they can still make and the power they hit with

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
lol... seriously have you ever seen some of those old sh***s play... scary some of the plays they can still make and the power they hit with

Yes, I have. The great plays they make are relative to everyone's age and lessened ability. The seniors were the first group to go to the hot bats around the turn of THIS century. They were also the ones who tried to get ASA to change the rules to a maximum fence distance of 250' which obviously did not pass.

Country469

I will never understand why they need to use the equipment they do, 1 for safety issues, 2 cot damn your slower, slow the game down not speed it up

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans

SSUSA RULE
1.41 • INFIELD FLY

Believe me, I understand the rule, at least as it's been administered for the first 60 years I've played ball. And I don't think any reasonable umpire is going to call a flyball to the outfield an IF. But the rule as written defines an IF as "a fair fly ball that can be caught by any fielder ....." (1st sentence). Then it goes on to say any fielder can catch it (2nd sentence). I think BretMan was correct, they just really botched the wording.

Last edited: