A little more 44 love. Some pics and a short review.

mpk

Extra Hitter
UPDATE (8/1/18) on post #12.

Nice to see more people here considering 44 when looking for a decent glove without having to spend too much.

I've had my 44 for a few months now. Just thought I'd share some thoughts and post a few pics as another data point for people to consider. Overall, it's just a really nice glove. Not the best, but really good. The leather is buttery smooth and came very stiff. Actually stiffer than my HOHs and A2000s. Out of the box it was extremely difficult to close with a standard grip. Fit and finish is very good.

I got it during the black friday sale so I paid around $150 after shipping. At that price, they are an excellent deal considering the customization options available. I think I've said this before in other threads but the signature series is probably 90-95% as good as a retail A2000 or Heart of the Hide.

My thought when building this glove was that it would be my beater to use on rainy days or muddy fields so it was as good a time as any to try something different. Usually, I'm a huge fan of traditional tan gloves. This time I wanted something that would clean up easy and I didn't have to worry about tossing around, etc. which is why I went with all black leather and deleted all the embroidery and got all stamped logos in their place. Design wise, I'm not sure that made for the most attractive glove. I think it would have made a big difference if I had got a two piece wrist rather than a single piece thumb/wrist. I wasn't sure on that but thought I'd give it a try. Oh well, next time I'll know. Otherwise, I like the blacked out look. Decided to give black split welting a try - I think I like it. Went with the RV web - really like it. Seems to work well for a 12.25" glove.

I read a fair number of negative comments from a few years ago before I decided to buy. Based on my experience, I think the company has worked out some of the previous problems and is making very nice gloves these days. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, especially on sale.

Got a question? Let me know.

MPK_6882-003.jpg

MPK_6884-003.jpg

MPK_6896-003.jpg

MPK_6901-003.jpg

MPK_6888-003.jpg

Last edited:

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Looks like a really nice glove, keep us updated on how the break in is going and if/when it gets floppy. I'm curious about how quick that happens

Reactions: NYC

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
For the first couple years, I believe the gloves were made in Mexico and the quality was as you'd expect. There was a distinct jump in quality when they moved production to Asia (Taiwan?).

mpk

Extra Hitter
Looks like a really nice glove, keep us updated on how the break in is going and if/when it gets floppy. I'm curious about how quick that happens

Will do. So far after a few months of once a week couch catch and a month of baseball coaching it's perfect. Softball season doesn't start til June for me, then I might coach fall ball after that so it should see a decent amount of work this year. Haven't broke out my other gloves yet, only been using the 44. Maybe I'll update in the fall after having it around a year.

That's a nice looking glove!

Thanks. I'm already thinking about a version 2.0 on next Black Friday!

Party mafia

Will do. So far after a few months of once a week couch catch and a month of baseball coaching it's perfect. Softball season doesn't start til June for me, then I might coach fall ball after that so it should see a decent amount of work this year. Haven't broke out my other gloves yet, only been using the 44. Maybe I'll update in the fall after having it around a year.

Thanks. I'm already thinking about a version 2.0 on next Black Friday!
what kind of leather is your 44?

mpk

Extra Hitter
END OF SEASON UPDATE

I've had my 44 Pro for about 8 months now. It was very stiff when it came but it was pretty easy to break in. Still lays fully open on it's side but it's easy to open and close now without being floppy at all. The leather has held up extremely well. I did not baby this glove at all so it was thrown in gear bags, crushed under stuff, and saw practice in the rain/mud as well as very dry dusty fields which cleaned up easily. Overall, I'm pretty happy and will be buying another, just in a different size. Look for this one on the buy/sell board soon.

IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1479.JPG IMG_1480.JPG IMG_1483.JPG