Advance on foul ball

Z1k05

Star Player
utrip league, batter has 1-2 count and none to waste with 1 out. Hit foul ball down left field line, outfielder catches it and runner tags from third to score, umps counts the run and states runner can advance, it this correct or I was under the impression it's a dead ball with no runner advancement

Thanks for input

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
utrip league, batter has 1-2 count and none to waste with 1 out. Hit foul ball down left field line, outfielder catches it and runner tags from third to score, umps counts the run and states runner can advance, it this correct or I was under the impression it's a dead ball with no runner advancement

Thanks for input

In real softball, the umpire was right. U-trip, maybe not :)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire was incorrect for USSSA. A foul ball that would result in a strikeout is called before a catch can be completed. The ball is dead and no runners may advance.
What was the result of your protest?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire was incorrect for USSSA. A foul ball that would result in a strikeout is called before a catch can be completed. The ball is dead and no runners may advance.
What was the result of your protest?

What do you mean by the catch being completed? Just exactly when is the ball declared foul?

Joker

As soon as the ball makes contact with a player in foul territory it would be a foul ball. If you really want to break it down in slow mo replay the ball touches the glove before being secured as a catch

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Then why is it they can advance if, say, the first pitch is hit into foul territory and caught?

I think it's a stupid rule. All it does is take away the chance for the offense to advance runners, and the defense to get outs.

Just play the game.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
What do you mean by the catch being completed? Just exactly when is the ball declared foul?

FOULBALL is any batted ball that stops or settles in foul territory without first being touched in fair territory, or which is first touched in foul territory, or that first touches some out-of play object or area in foul territory, or that first touches foul ground beyond first and third base, or which does not conform to the requirements that would make it a fair ball.

Joker

Then why is it they can advance if, say, the first pitch is hit into foul territory and caught?

I think it's a stupid rule. All it does is take away the chance for the offense to advance runners, and the defense to get outs.

Just play the game.
I think it's a dumb rule too

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer

Just play the game.

In NSA, and U-trip, they're allowed to advance before the third strike because a foul ball that is not caught in that scenario would not result in an out. The reasoning I can see behind declaring the ball dead when the foul ball would result in an out regardless of a catch is to move the game along and not waste time. It's quicker for the ball to be caught and runners not move than it is to let the ball fall to the ground, waste time walking after it, and then getting the ball back in to the same result as not allowing the runners to advance on the catch.

This rule isn't dumb, but it is different than that of traditional baseball and softball which makes people think it is dumb. Really, this is no dumber than the hit-and-sit rule, or the IBB without a pitch. Now, what's dumb is having the players not know this rule to allow the "foul ball, let it drop" stuff continue and waste time when in the field.

Country469

you say that like all umpires know that rule though........I've seen it called wrong 2-3 times now in league (yes, its just league bro)

Joker

hit & sit or IBB does not deny the offense from advancing or the defense from getting another out

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
In NSA, and U-trip, they're allowed to advance before the third strike because a foul ball that is not caught in that scenario would not result in an out. The reasoning I can see behind declaring the ball dead when the foul ball would result in an out regardless of a catch is to move the game along and not waste time. It's quicker for the ball to be caught and runners not move than it is to let the ball fall to the ground, waste time walking after it, and then getting the ball back in to the same result as not allowing the runners to advance on the catch.

This rule isn't dumb, but it is different than that of traditional baseball and softball which makes people think it is dumb. Really, this is no dumber than the hit-and-sit rule, or the IBB without a pitch. Now, what's dumb is having the players not know this rule to allow the "foul ball, let it drop" stuff continue and waste time when in the field.

That's not the biggest waste of time in the game. Personally, it's the 13 minutes guys waste by throwing the ball around before every half inning.

You want to speed things up? Cut all that out, and you wouldn't have to worry about the clock running out in a close game anymore.

Still say it's a dumb rule. Let's get more chances to get more runs or outs.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
The only thing I can see is that if you can advance on the caught foul ball where is the penalty for the offense? It would be no different than a fair fly ball, or foul ball with only one strike. Not being able to advance on a deep fly ball prevents the offense from getting any benefit to the play.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I can see some logic to it.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
By not allowing the offense to advance on a caught fly ball (fair or foul) you take away their opportunity to score. Why should a foul fly ball be any different than any other caught fly ball?

swampdonkey1

Star Player
Can someone speak to whether this rule applies in ASA? We had an umpire call dead ball/foul ball on a 3-2 count in league. No one was advancing, but he still made it known that it was a dead ball... Was this correct for ASA?

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Can someone speak to whether this rule applies in ASA? We had an umpire call dead ball/foul ball on a 3-2 count in league. No one was advancing, but he still made it known that it was a dead ball... Was this correct for ASA?

In ASA, the ball should have been live following the catch. However, if your league has a rule that the foul to strike someone out creates a dead ball, then that supersedes the ASA rules.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Was the ball caught? If caught, it's still a live ball unless carried into Dead Ball Territory. If just a foul ball, yes, ball is dead, batter is out. (unless league rule is giving a foul with two strikes)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The ball is declared foul as soon as it's touched by a fielder over foul territory. The ball has to touch the glove before being caught.

I always declare "Foul Ball, Batter is out." When this happens. So many guys play both associations that most let it drop anyway.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Which makes NO sense to me. What's the difference between catching it in foul territory on the first pitch vs catching it when the batter already has a strike on him?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Which makes NO sense to me. What's the difference between catching it in foul territory on the first pitch vs catching it when the batter already has a strike on him?

Because it is bull****, player-initiated rule and interpretation. Much like what happens in the NCAA, somewhere along they way someone probably got butt hurt because the opponent tagged up and scored on a caught fly ball.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
The ball is declared foul as soon as it's touched by a fielder over foul territory. The ball has to touch the glove before being caught.

I always declare "Foul Ball, Batter is out." When this happens. So many guys play both associations that most let it drop anyway.

Well, I hope you keep that in U-trip, since USA does not recognize a ball caught in flight as fair or foul, but simply a caught fly ball.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I sort of look at it as punishment to the offense for sucking at the plate. It's slow pitch. If you want to sac fly a run in, hit popcorn to dead center, not a foul out down one of the lines.