Advice on Breaking in a HOH

lakeyale13

Manager
Got a great deal on a 13" Bryce Harper HOH. I've never owned one and would love some advice on recommended break in methods.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
Use a glove mallet, 5 lb dumbbell, or a short wood bat to help create the pocket. I'll work the heel, break points, and web area with my hands just moving/folding leather back and forth to work it in. I try to avoid conditioning a brand new glove, but I will use Wilson Pro Stock on the hand stall and palm liner to prevent sweat from ruining that area. If the lace is plastic-like-hard, I'll condition it as well. Once broken in, I'll only condition once a year. Once you can close it some, start playing catch and enjoy the process. Good luck!

lakeyale13

Manager
Use a glove mallet, 5 lb dumbbell, or a short wood bat to help create the pocket. I'll work the heel, break points, and web area with my hands just moving/folding leather back and forth to work it in. I try to avoid conditioning a brand new glove, but I will use Wilson Pro Stock on the hand stall and palm liner to prevent sweat from ruining that area. If the lace is plastic-like-hard, I'll condition it as well. Once broken in, I'll only condition once a year. Once you can close it some, start playing catch and enjoy the process. Good luck!

Thanks Wally! I have a ball wrapped tightly in the glove currently. Look forward to making this thing my own with a great break in. Such a fine piece of craftmanship.

tonys1

Thanks Wally! I have a ball wrapped tightly in the glove currently. Look forward to making this thing my own with a great break in. Such a fine piece of craftmanship.

I have the red one and don’t recall it needing a ton of work. Maybe a couple of rounds of shagging fly balls and it felt game ready.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
I dunked my custom PRO303 (same as Harper 13"). Whole process was about a week to have it fully dry and I conditioned it with Lexol. It is the only stuff I use on my gloves so they don't get greasy or heavier. Was game ready with TIP quick. This process has worked great for myself 3 times and a few buddies as well.

Batalot

I dunked my custom PRO303 (same as Harper 13"). Whole process was about a week to have it fully dry and I conditioned it with Lexol. It is the only stuff I use on my gloves so they don't get greasy or heavier. Was game ready with TIP quick. This process has worked great for myself 3 times and a few buddies as well.

I didn't dunk, but just let about a half a cup of warm to hot water down the finger holes and drained it fast. Formed perfectly around my hand and gave it a good foundation to break it in...TIP