Any Advise for explaining a timing play

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Runner on 1st. Batter hits the ball down the line. The 1B touches first then throws to second. I call batter out and runner safe on first. They argued that the runner is forced to run. I explained once they touched the base that the force is negated (maybe too big a word for them) so no they didn't. They could not grasp this concept and argued until the end of the inning. How to best explain it to them?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If they can't follow that, they need to quiet down. Or they can ask someone to explain it to them in the parking lot.

Serious answer, Once the runner behind them is out, no one is "forcing" them to second.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Here's how it would go...

Bawt heeez gawtta rahn!
No, he doesn't. The force was removed when the player tagged first to retire the batter-runner.
Yuh huh! It's a fowusss he's gawtta go!
We are done talking about this.
*insert additional griping in whatever regional dialect you desire and the eventual ejection here*

*sigh*

As noted, some people you just cannot explain it to. Once the batter-runner was retired, though (stepping on first) all other forces were removed. Gotta tag somebody off the base at that point to get the out.

JN137

Here's how it would go...

Bawt heeez gawtta rahn!
No, he doesn't. The force was removed when the player tagged first to retire the batter-runner.
Yuh huh! It's a fowusss he's gawtta go!
We are done talking about this.
*insert additional griping in whatever regional dialect you desire and the eventual ejection here*

*sigh*

As noted, some people you just cannot explain it to. Once the batter-runner was retired, though (stepping on first) all other forces were removed. Gotta tag somebody off the base at that point to get the out.
Possibly the best post I have ever seen on this site.