Am I being a tool?

waldo8403

Addicted to Softballfans
Played catcher the other night and the other team got pissed at me for talking behind the plate. I never yelled or did anything to try and startle them. I would say things like "that's a nice pitch" or "oh that's strike three". I guess that kind of stuff has never bothered me, granted if I was yelling at the top of lungs it would be a different story but I don't even think the shortstop could hear me.

r8dr_rider

I’m usually chatting with the umpire. If I know the batter I’ll talk some smack. If the other team is complaining they are probably a bunch of lames

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I’m usually chatting with the umpire. If I know the batter I’ll talk some smack. If the other team is complaining they are probably a bunch of lames

Any professional umpire won't carry on conversations with the catcher or batter during at bats. It's distracting to all involved.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I talk to my pitcher and don't care what the batter wants. I do throw in some dad jokes most days. The umps do tend to ignore me.

r8dr_rider

Any professional umpire won't carry on conversations with the catcher or batter during at bats. It's distracting to all involved.

we are not chatting when the pitch is thrown. Before and after. I only play league and most umps around here play too so everyone kinda knows each other.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I dont get to catch much but I have fun when I do. I will talk to the hitters as they enter the box and say things like, There it is when its a perfect pitch or, Just missed, not gonna get another one that good. After we go through the order I might talk to them a little more and say things about the previous hitter like, you think you can hit it farther? bet you cant hit it farther. Yes Im trying to get in heads but its more like goofing with them. Ive been around long enough to tell who is the hardo and who is going to talk with me. Thats the best part of catching lol

dunkky

I personally, don't like to talk. so it's annoying when catcher constantly doing the talk and playing umpire. this ain't standup comedy and you ain't funny. occasionally, yes, but every freaking at bat, NOPE. go do your stand up comedy instead then. oh,not talking about u OP, just general opinion.

r8dr_rider

I personally, don't like to talk. so it's annoying when catcher constantly doing the talk and playing umpire. this ain't standup comedy and you ain't funny. occasionally, yes, but every freaking at bat, NOPE. go do your stand up comedy instead then. oh,not talking about u OP, just general opinion.
Lmfao! Slide at home next time the catcher is talking too much

Slider045

I don't like it. If a guy is chirping while I'm at bat I won't acknowledge it at all, as if I do he will know he's getting the best of me then.

Redsfan

45 years ago when I started playing baseball as a kid they would have you chatter at the hitter. "Swing batter batter" or something like that. Noise while I'm hitting has never bothered me and I'm surprised at the amount of people it does. I hope some of you never play in front of a crowd that's noisy.

dunno

Think its a control issue. Gettin in your head to distract.

The more pitchers/catchers say usu just step back out the box then they have to wait for me lol.

Just hit it hard and long they usu get the message and talk less.

Last edited:

dunkky

it's not just about being annoyed. big fight starts with small thing. if ump don't control in the beginning, the big mouth doesn't know the limit.
Also, when ball is released, you should shut up. the reason is, you are interfering with Ump and players. He may call, illegal pitches, strikes, balls. little talk before pitch is fine, but when it's in play, just zip ur mouth.

r8dr_rider

I had a catcher tell me mid-pitch that he saw a video online of me ****ing a chicken. I wasn't really mad that he was talking but I was kind of annoyed my wife posted the video.
I love this? I play catcher when I drink too much or I’m just lazy and need a break. I’m gonna use this one for sure