Anchorage Softball

Dreis11301

Addicted to Softballfans
My wife and I will be moving to Anchorage in October and will be looking to play some ball (probably not till the following spring;)). At any rate looking for any info on the leagues over there. ASA or USAAA? Old ASA stamps allowed? Just curious if I need to move some of my old stamp bats before I get there or if I will still be able to use them.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Ain't many of us on here, but I think I can help.

Leagues here are all ASA only. And for the most part, they follow the national ASA rule book to a T so all ASA normally-approved bats are allowed. Seasons here are pretty short and run from early May to mid-August at the latest. There's a short fall-league that runs for about a month after that. And if you can find your way onto a team for the snowshoe softball tournament in February, that's a lot of fun.

Competition-wise it's pretty thoroughly monitored. Sandbagging doesn't really happen here. If you've played anything competitive elsewhere you'll want to play at least C level here. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Dreis11301

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm nothing to write home about, but my wife is pretty good. Is there a strong woman's league? We also like to play coed ball, any of that happen on the regular? Glad I can hold onto my old sticks.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
The anchoragesports site is fairly informative. And there is a women's league...not sure how competitive it is though. I suppose the ladies that play there are pretty serious about it.

Coed is really popular here...moreso than the men's leagues. The lower levels of coed have divisions playing multiple nights during the week.

2Legit2Melee

Star Player
If you are in the military there are intramural leagues on base as well. All depends on what unit you are in and everything. I've still yet to get on a downtown league but there are quite a few people from base who also play downtown.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
If you are in the military there are intramural leagues on base as well. All depends on what unit you are in and everything. I've still yet to get on a downtown league but there are quite a few people from base who also play downtown.

The base league SUCKS! It's an excuse to play, but such a poorly organized one that it's almost not worth it. I played in it a couple years (and coached my squadron team one year), and there's virtually nothing good to say about it.

If you're looking to get on a team downtown...have you tried the player finder thingy at AnchorageSports?

2Legit2Melee

Star Player
No i never went on there but I am in good with some people now who play downtown so next year I will be down there hopefully more than on base. It was ran really poor this year and I really hope I don't have to play there next year.