Ankle Brace or Not?

madmark33

Athletic Supporter
I've always had weak ankles from playing a ton of basketball.

So, yesterday I took a bad step and barely rolled my ankle. Its a little tender, but I can walk on it like normal, and its not swollen today or anything. I iced it last night and took Ibuprofen for any swelling ect...Today, I've been flexing the ankle up and down, making circles, ect...to see if it hurts at all and seems fine.

Question, I have a game tonight. Would it be a good idea to wear a brace as a precaution for the game since I don't know how its going to react to actually planting and running around the bases?

I don't normally wear a brace and my cleats are mid-top, so they have some support, I just don't want to go up, get a hit, take off to run and then all of sudden feel that twinge that I didn't know was there....

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
That would not stop me from playing. However, search the net on how to properly tape an ankle. Properly taping the ankle is far superior to the brace.

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
I'd rather be safe than sorry. Ankles can get worse in a hurry...I'd wear a brace if you are planning on playing.

madmark33

Athletic Supporter
It's really not even sprained or anything. When I stepped in that hole, more of divot, it began to roll, like a 1/2 roll, and I went down...lol...instinct on my part.

I guess I'm just asking if I should be extra cautious...for instance...there's no soreness, I can rotate it and feel no pain, walk fine, ect...just wondered if it would be a good idea to have a little extra support...i.e. tape or brace?

Last edited:

ethanan

I've always had weak ankles from playing a ton of basketball.

So, yesterday I took a bad step and barely rolled my ankle. Its a little tender, but I can walk on it like normal, and its not swollen today or anything. I iced it last night and took Ibuprofen for any swelling ect...Today, I've been flexing the ankle up and down, making circles, ect...to see if it hurts at all and seems fine.

Question, I have a game tonight. Would it be a good idea to wear a brace as a precaution for the game since I don't know how its going to react to actually planting and running around the bases?

I don't normally wear a brace and my cleats are mid-top, so they have some support, I just don't want to go up, get a hit, take off to run and then all of sudden feel that twinge that I didn't know was there....

That's right, my suggestion is that you should temporarily stop playing basketball. Your ankle is likely to have been sprained, and you should handle it as soon as possible. The belt protector can only provide a preventive effect, it is more suitable for use during the recovery period, and the alternative compression ankle support is a good choice.

superfli18

Addicted to Softballfans
Same scenario last year. Had a weak ankle that had given me off and on issues for several years. Kept ignoring it and playing. It finally gave out when I was running and stepped on base. Severe inversion sprain with avulsion fracture medialy. Still not 100%. Wish I would have braced up earlier. I bought the one steph curry wore after his bad sprain. Its been a game changer. Pricey but worth investment. Wear it every game now!