Anyone else not a fan of Kip leather?

NYC

Swag on 100.
Its supposed to be better and higher quality but for some reason I just don't like it. It feels too slippery for some reason, I just prefer HoH leather a lot more. Am I crazy for saying this?

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Don't like Rawlings PP, used one for a season, got floppy way to quick, and the sheepskin lining was way to slick with my hand sweat, and after that I knew kip gloves weren't for me. I've always wanted to try out one of the Wilson "pro stock kip" gloves though, like the K86.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I think kip CAN be higher quality than steerhide, but not necessarily (tanning process is still the most important factor). I have not been overwhelmed by the kip gloves I have seen though. Different story if I were re-upholstering a chair or buying a jacket.

502 to Right

Manager
Its supposed to be better and higher quality but for some reason I just don't like it. It feels too slippery for some reason, I just prefer HoH leather a lot more. Am I crazy for saying this?

I agree with you on all points. I find kip leather to be less durable than standard HOH leather at a $100 upcharge. No thanks.

yardballz

Part Time Player
Best gloves ive ever had on my hand- rawlings pp pi custom, mizuno pro pi custom, nike pi custom. Best non-pi gloves ive ever had on my hand- japanese mizuno pro and nike shado elite j. All gloves made of kip leather. All gloves advertised as using kip leather are not created equal.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Kip?

Kip?

kip-dynamite-hot-babes.gif

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
All depends on the brand and quality of the kip, IMO.

Rawlings PP
I'm not a fan of. Not sure why, I like the older HOHs better.

Mizuno Kip (JAPAN) 2GWs
North European Kip, Absolutely the best. Seems the closes to
Old school Horween HOHs.

Mizuno Kip (USA models) GMP000s
Not as good, the kip feels very soft, very little break in required.
Not a fan.

Nike Sha/do (Vapor Elite)
So far so good. "Tender Kip" is softer than the Mizuno (NEK) but still stiff
in all the fingers and thumb. That doesnt seem like it will get too soft.
Probably take a couple weeks to get this game ready (with only catch on the weekends).

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
i like my easton kips.

I forgot about those.

Phenomenal GLoves for the cost.
I had a few of those Easton Premier Kip gloves,
only broke in pone of them, leather was awesome.
The fit was not perfect for me though.

It was a E-PRO82 like this
$_57.JPG

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
My steer-hide Vinci BR-45 is the best glove I have ever owned. So good that, when it began to show signs of age, I ordered a new one (then designated the BR-45s) to begin breaking in. The new one was kip leather and has never formed up and held its shape like the original. So much so that I paid Golcomb, to repair the old one and continue to use it. Personally, I will avoid kip leather in any future purchases. Hovever, since I am 70, that may be a moot point.

By the way, does anyone know why Vince discontinued this model?

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you mean John Golomb? Great work, my go to recommendation if a new lining is needed (unless it is a Nokona).

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
My steer-hide Vinci BR-45 is the best glove I have ever owned. So good that, when it began to show signs of age, I ordered a new one (then designated the BR-45s) to begin breaking in. The new one was kip leather and has never formed up and held its shape like the original. So much so that I paid Golcomb, to repair the old one and continue to use it. Personally, I will avoid kip leather in any future purchases. Hovever, since I am 70, that may be a moot point.

I think they are letting the CP line go, being replaced by the Optimus line. Just my guess. Can get the BR46 pattern (basically same as the BR45) in the Optimus grade glove, real similar IMO.

yardballz

Part Time Player
All depends on the brand and quality of the kip, IMO.

Rawlings PP
I'm not a fan of. Not sure why, I like the older HOHs better.

I know the retail pps can be hit or miss but the pi pp customs are comparable to the japanese mizuno pro nek gloves. Its like theyre a completely different line of gloves and ive never seen a rawlings retail glove like it.

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
If anyone has a pro preferred 504 they don't like by all means let me know. I have over 500 games on my pro preferred and I find it extremely difficult to find anything that compares for me.

MaverickAH

Sounds like your issue is not the kip leather but the fact that you purchased the "s" version. That "s" designates that the glove is pre-worked in & softened for easier break-in. I have regular Custom Pro Kip's with none of the issues you describe.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like your issue is not the kip leather but the fact that you purchased the "s" version. That "s" designates that the glove is pre-worked in & softened for easier break-in. I have regular Custom Pro Kip's with none of the issues you describe.

Thanks. Didn't realize that's what the "s" designated. I actually talked to someone at Vince when I ordered the glove because I couldn't find the steer-hide version on the website. He directed me to the BR-45s as being the same model. Probably a moot question for me now. With all the gloves i already have, anything I might buy now will just be sitting around in a box for my grandsons to find when they clean my house out. :)

Last edited: