Any appeal

johnsonrod

Starting Player
i tried searching but couldnt find it but there was discussion in a thread recently having to do with appealing a missed base.

someone was fairly adamant that you could do so mid play, ive only ever seen it done after a play.

lets say runner on 1st 2 outs, playing on an open field and the batter hits a HR, but the runner misses 2nd base. if the defense, after the play, appeals the missed base, my understanding is the run still counts bc its a timing play.... can you appeal the missed base mid play as to do so before the run scores?

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Live ball appeals are tricky, as you have to explain to the umpire exactly WHAT you are appealing.

"Open field" means there is no fence? If no fence, then the ball is still live as the HR is of the "in the park" type. Once the Batter/runner touches Home, it becomes a dead ball, so it would be a dead ball appeal anyway...

In either case, the runner missed 2nd, if properly appealed, he would be OUT and the run would not score as he is OUT. If the B/R missed 2nd, the run may score or may not, depends on if you were able to properly appeal his missed base prior to R1 touching home.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
first off, if you appeal after the play is over, the batters run still counts right?

secondly, is there any possibly way to appeal the runner missing 2nd base during the play to prevent the batters run from counting?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
first off, if you appeal after the play is over, the batters run still counts right?

secondly, is there any possibly way to appeal the runner missing 2nd base during the play to prevent the batters run from counting?

If a runner is out on an appeal play, making it the third out, then no trailing runners may score. So if they hit an in-the-park home run when bases are loaded, and the runner from 2nd misses home plate and the defense appeals, then the runner from 3rd will still score, but none of the other runners score.

If you appeal a runner for missing a base that they were forced to advance to (such as, in this case, the runner from 1st who missed 2nd), then it's a force out. No runs score, even if you had runners on 2nd and 3rd as well.

In all other cases, appeals are timing plays, whether the ball is dead or live.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
thanks for the help. part of my confusion was the umpire, who is the best one in my league, kicked the call on the scenario i was describing...

for a proper live ball appeal on a missed base, can it be verbal? or does a fielder have to be in possession of the ball on the base? or is there another way to live ball appeal? lets say its a batter going for a triple and misses 2nd, at what point in time can a fielder simply touch 2nd with the ball and not have to tag the runner. (im thinking of a runner stopping halfway between 2nd and 3rd bc he knows he missed 2nd)

just a recap for me, since my brain isnt working 100% right now.

2 outs runner on 1st, batter hits an over the fence HR in a must run the bases league. R1 misses second, defense appeals after a new ball is thrown in, neither run counts

2 outs runner on 1st, batter hits an over the fence HR in a must run the bases league. R1 misses third, defense appeals after a new ball is thrown in, batters' run counts, runners' run does not count.

2 outs, runner on 1st, batter hits a triple, batter misses second. defense properly live ball appeals before R1 touches home, the run does not count.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
thanks for the help. part of my confusion was the umpire, who is the best one in my league, kicked the call on the scenario i was describing...

for a proper live ball appeal on a missed base, can it be verbal? or does a fielder have to be in possession of the ball on the base? or is there another way to live ball appeal? lets say its a batter going for a triple and misses 2nd, at what point in time can a fielder simply touch 2nd with the ball and not have to tag the runner. (im thinking of a runner stopping halfway between 2nd and 3rd bc he knows he missed 2nd)

A live ball appeal can be done one of two ways: tag the runner or tag the base. The defense, however, must make it clear that they are appealing a missed base or a failure to tag up on a caught fly ball.

just a recap for me, since my brain isnt working 100% right now.

2 outs runner on 1st, batter hits an over the fence HR in a must run the bases league. R1 misses second, defense appeals after a new ball is thrown in, neither run counts

Correct. This is a force out for out #3, so no runs would score.

2 outs runner on 1st, batter hits an over the fence HR in a must run the bases league. R1 misses third, defense appeals after a new ball is thrown in, batters' run counts, runners' run does not count.

Not quite. R1 is being appealed for the third out. Since the batter is trailing R1, their run does not count.

2 outs, runner on 1st, batter hits a triple, batter misses second. defense properly live ball appeals before R1 touches home, the run does not count.

Correct.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
thanks again, i knew i was messing up something in those scenarios........

ive reviewed 8-3-f and 8-7-g...

one last question, 8-3-f, the rule about trailing runners not scoring when a previous runner misses a base is the 3rd out, different in baseball?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
thanks again, i knew i was messing up something in those scenarios........

ive reviewed 8-3-f and 8-7-g...

one last question, 8-3-f, the rule about trailing runners not scoring when a previous runner misses a base is the 3rd out, different in baseball?

Wrong forum. ;)

Actually, I believe BretMan may have the answer, but he may still be on vacation.