ASA Are Fast Pitch Bats Legal in Slow-Pitch?

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I would have thought not, but just saw in another thread that they are (or someone thinks they are). Seems odd. Are FP bats less lively?

Assume it has an ASA stamp on it, but then also says Fast Pitch.

GTG?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
ASA makes no differentiation. If it's ASA Approved, it's ASA Approved. Some local leagues decide to ban FP bats in SP, though for some odd reason.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Reason = Ignorance.

True. My company's team plays in a "work" league that has some of the strangest bat rules you could think of. They did the same thing (banned any bat with "FP" in the model number or "Fast Pitch" written on it. Ultimately, they finally went with, "You can only use these models" but the list seems arbitrary.

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting...

So, as far as ASA is concerned, there is no difference then?

Are FP bats less lively (since pitch speed supplies extra energy), and so that is why they do not care, or do they meet the same max 98MPH standard, too?

I will need to ask our League Elders what our rule is...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Interesting...

So, as far as ASA is concerned, there is no difference then?

Are FP bats less lively (since pitch speed supplies extra energy), and so that is why they do not care, or do they meet the same max 98MPH standard, too?

I will need to ask our League Elders what our rule is...

As far as ASA is concerned, there is no difference. All bats with the ASA stamp that are NOT on the ASA Non-Approved Bat List comply with the same 98 MPH standard.

Marking a bat as "fast pitch" is simply a marketing tool to help parents identify what bat might better suit their daughter who plays fast pitch.

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
All we use is fastpitch bats really. I'm still a firm believer in bat speed...and since I'm a small guy, I like the lighter bats... aka... (I think fastpitch bats are made hotter because women use them more often:) )