Are some people just predisposed to being injury prone?

Sinsation

Starting Player
pulls, sprains, and straining muscles is most likely from being out of shape.
tears, ruptures, etc are probably just genetics.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO:

1. Genetics
2. Preparation....or lack there of
3. Other factors

Can I add Ken Griffey Jr to the list?

Hump77

Addicted to Softballfans
I am prone to pulled muscles. No matter how early I get there to start my stretching, somehow I always end up with a pulled calf or quad or hammy. Very frustrating!

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say 99% of it comes down to lack of stretching. I know this may sound ridiculous to some people, but even for league games I get to the fields an hour early. When I was in HS, we warmed up for at least 90 minutes. In college, true warm-ups including stretching, long toss, BP and fielding, etc. we were at 2 hours+. Just because its an hour long softball game versus a 2.5 hour baseball game, doesn't mean you should really be warming up less. Only injuries that I have come across in my days of playing were due to me being an idiot---tore ligaments in my leg sliding in to second in HS and had slightly torn Achilles from a runner sliding in to my feet at second during a double play. Both of which, I take the blame for.

I see it more in my league nights than at tourney games, but you have retards who get to the field at game time, grab a bat and then try to leg out an infield single to only pull a hamstring. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out to get to the game earlier and do some proper stretching, yet you see the same morons get hurt.

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
I am prone to pulled muscles. No matter how early I get there to start my stretching, somehow I always end up with a pulled calf or quad or hammy. Very frustrating!

Do you use bands to stretch? I am not saying that touching your fingers to your toes and all that jazz doesn't help, but it is impossible to get a complete stretch in without either bands or having someone put pressure on various body parts. Watch any pro athlete stretch and you will see they usually do it in pairs because of this.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
I was a tank in my youth and 20's. Football and baseball, to pickup tackle football games and basketball games. I can recall two injuries, but both I recovered from quickly and left no lingering effects. Fast forward to my 30's....increased bodyweight, sedentary all day at work, and less overall activity from day to day and the injuries are more frequent. Knee pain, foot pain, rolled ankles that didn't recover right. I think some of us who get older and less active, then go all out on the field a couple times a week are at higher risk. And when injuries do happen, they don't heal as fast or as effectively as they once did and can become nagging injuries.

bdubbew

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends like I have been playing baseball/softball for 20 years with football and other sports in the mix. Its a matter of time before ya body breaks down. I workout so that should help prevent injury. Play hard long enough you will get hurt but yes some ppl get hurt easier Because of bad genetics or diet or Because they don't workout etc.

BP35

Addicted to Softballfans
I was a tank in my youth and 20's. Football and baseball, to pickup tackle football games and basketball games. I can recall two injuries, but both I recovered from quickly and left no lingering effects. Fast forward to my 30's....increased bodyweight, sedentary all day at work, and less overall activity from day to day and the injuries are more frequent. Knee pain, foot pain, rolled ankles that didn't recover right. I think some of us who get older and less active, then go all out on the field a couple times a week are at higher risk. And when injuries do happen, they don't heal as fast or as effectively as they once did and can become nagging injuries.

Sounds like me (only I'm in my 40's :D). 2009 = ruptured elbow tendon and 2010 = torn plantar fascia were the worst years. 2011 = so far so good!! Just jinxed the hell out of myself didn't I. :rolleyes::D

ETDave

Old School
Some of it is conditioning, some of it is bad luck, and some of it is just stupidity lol.

My past injuries due to conditioning:
herniated disc between L4 and L5 in the back
Pulled groin
Pulled quads
Strained oblique
Partially torn rotator cuff
Tennis and golfers elbow

Injuries due to bad luck:
suspected hernia turned out to be chronic appendicitis
osgood schlatters disease in the knees

Injuries due to stupidity:
broken clavical from snow boarding
broken wrist from boxing
bad ankles from playing on too many sprains

This is all in the last 5 years lol, other than the herniated disc and my knees, I finally feel GTG again lol. I'm hoping to stay this way knock on wood!

All of this and you chose LuckyMatthews as a SBF nickname? :p

-Six-

Weiner
we had a guy on our team for three years. Every year he went out with a hammy. No matter his preparation. He finally quit. I dont blame him.

n8ss03

im injury prone. I contribute that to lack of flexibility and I seem to havea hard time staying loose when im playing. i pull a hammy once a yr it seems like. ive started wearign full length compression pants until the hottest of the hot months.

Strat

I always read on here, "I tore this...............", "I ruptured that........" Are some people just more injury prone than others?? Is it a lack of conditioning?? Both?? Some people roll on and on and on....Others are always laid up....What's the dealio?

pussification of America

bigcountry77

Addicted to Softballfans
Some of it is conditioning, some of it is bad luck, and some of it is just stupidity lol.

My past injuries due to conditioning:
herniated disc between L4 and L5 in the back
Pulled groin
Pulled quads
Strained oblique
Partially torn rotator cuff
Tennis and golfers elbow

Injuries due to bad luck:
suspected hernia turned out to be chronic appendicitis
osgood schlatters disease in the knees

Injuries due to stupidity:
broken clavical from snow boarding
broken wrist from boxing
bad ankles from playing on too many sprains

This is all in the last 5 years lol, other than the herniated disc and my knees, I finally feel GTG again lol. I'm hoping to stay this way knock on wood!

and years of having a good time instead of sitting on a couch = $$ PRICELESS $$

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Some of you guys really need to look into foam rolling. It's great for loosening up tight muscles and knots. The body truly is like a chain. If something is too tight it might cause an injury to another nearby body part.

second2noone

Some of you guys really need to look into foam rolling. It's great for loosening up tight muscles and knots. The body truly is like a chain. If something is too tight it might cause an injury to another nearby body part.

you mean like bat rolling?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Yeah interesting. I've seen it before but didnt' know what it was called. I like that poor man's massage. :D

It's a deep tissue massage though. The first few times you do it will be very painful on some muscles. It's a good kind of hurt.:D

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
Foam rolling is awesome. I definitely vouch for it. That, and a dynamic warmup, are part of my pregame routine now.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
Im 28 with a shattered sesimoid bone in my left foot, gout in my right foot, gangliatic cysts in both my wrists, bicep tendonitis in my right throwing shoulder, and some weird feelings in both my elbows occasionally. I just man up and playball, snowboard, and work on heavy diesel equipment at work. I may ***** every once in awhile about the pain but I still do my thing in all areas of life. Then Ice when Im done. This winter will be surgeries to fix the shattered bone and cysts and then months of rehab to play ball next spring.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
I say yes....I see certain guys get hurt every single week in some fashion.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.

I sell a boatload of these foam rollers and they are fantastic and really work Who would have thought a piece of foam could be so effective in healing your sore muskels :D

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
Foam rollers are good and definitely help but I use them after physical strain. As I said in a previous post, elastic bands and a real good stretch are where its at. If you foam roll at your house and then drive 15-20 minutes to your game, through your cleats on and BS before you get started you have already allowed your body to tighten up some. However, after playing a few games, I definitely shower and spend another 15 minutes on the roller.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
All of this and you chose LuckyMatthews as a SBF nickname? :p

Yup, despite all that I've been through, I'm still playing and getting better every year.....This seems like luck to me:D

and years of having a good time instead of sitting on a couch = $$ PRICELESS $$

Exactly! I don't think I could be happy in life without sports and adrenaline rushes. When that day comes, I'm ready for the big nap!

I've been rehabing my elbow for tendonitis and part of it is foam rolling the tricep. The guy also said that foam rolling any body part is very helpful even though it is kinda painful, especially when you are already sore!

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
I always read on here, "I tore this...............", "I ruptured that........" Are some people just more injury prone than others?? Is it a lack of conditioning?? Both?? Some people roll on and on and on....Others are always laid up....What's the dealio?

I grew up with a guy named Tom. Actually more than one but I mean one specific Tom. Played baseball in town and was actaully decent. This guy was a walking injury. I swear he never finished a season. It was a running joke counting down the time till he got hurt.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator

This is why playing hurt is such a bad idea. You start to compensate and then you injure another part of your body. Not that I would heed this advice, IJS though. :rolleyes:

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
I want to know what health/workout/diet routine Cal Ripken Jr. was on. How is it that a guy can go a decade plus without missing a game, yet guys who make far more money than he ever did cannot play a month straight without needing a rest???