arguing with umpires

Chapmandoo

Getting old guy
Umpires get paid to Ump, so therefore they are providing us with a service ... If their service SUCKS, then you should be allowed to let them know.

I swing at strikes ... I dont let them go by because I believe this is a hitters game. I had a ball come across my face and I hear strike and then the next is the same (because now the pitcher knows the ump is calling them high), the third one comes in same spot and I have to tomahawk the freakin thing in the field ... I let the ump know.

Yes it is a fun rec sport to play in but that does not mean it should be turned into a crap show because the umpires are not paying attention or just do not give 2 craps.

Synergy81

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpires get paid to Ump, so therefore they are providing us with a service ... If their service SUCKS, then you should be allowed to let them know.

I swing at strikes ... I dont let them go by because I believe this is a hitters game. I had a ball come across my face and I hear strike and then the next is the same (because now the pitcher knows the ump is calling them high), the third one comes in same spot and I have to tomahawk the freakin thing in the field ... I let the ump know.

Yes it is a fun rec sport to play in but that does not mean it should be turned into a crap show because the umpires are not paying attention or just do not give 2 craps.

Couldnt agree more! There are just right and wrong ways to go about letting them know.

oppo

Coach
Arguing and discussing are the same thing according to my dictionary Websters Collegiate " argue -to consider the pros and cons of : discuss :" So for me its all in how you argue /discuss the call, just be respectful. I think its respectful of an umpure to explain a call that someone is unclear of. Its not a sign of weakness but of strength. Allowing poor umpires and misplaced calls to go unchallenged leads to more negativity in the long run. Players will go home wishing they said something and feeling t taken advatange of. Poor umpiring is near to player abuse, don't let it happen, say something.

There is a big difference between discussing and arguing. I bet you be ok with your kids discussing something with you but I bet it wouldn't go over to well if they argued with you. The concept is similar but the execution is very different and you know that. I agree with challenging poor umpiring but on the field at the time, they have the say and going beyond a relatively short and respectful discussion will only create bad blood or get you tossed. If the ump is wrong and sticking to his call, protest. Protesting is how you get things changed. Protesting is the hammer that smart players have available to them to correct poor umpiring. Judgement calls are another matter. It is also something people whine about more than it actually happens but if the ump is really that bad or really does have an agenda, it is time to attempt to get the LD or UIC involved because they can actually do something about it. Constantly whining and complaining on the field only causes you to lose credibility and look like an ass.

Chapmandoo

Getting old guy
Couldnt agree more! There are just right and wrong ways to go about letting them know.

There is a big difference between discussing and arguing. I bet you be ok with your kids discussing something with you but I bet it wouldn't go over to well if they argued with you. The concept is similar but the execution is very different and you know that. I agree with challenging poor umpiring but on the field at the time, they have the say and going beyond a relatively short and respectful discussion will only create bad blood or get you tossed. If the ump is wrong and sticking to his call, protest. Protesting is how you get things changed. Protesting is the hammer that smart players have available to them to correct poor umpiring. Judgement calls are another matter. It is also something people whine about more than it actually happens but if the ump is really that bad or really does have an agenda, it is time to attempt to get the LD or UIC involved because they can actually do something about it. Constantly whining and complaining on the field only causes you to lose credibility and look like an ass.

Completely agree with both these statements

ss_jmac

Addicted to Softballfans
I never argue a call it's a waste of time, I just give them a really hard time the rest of the game.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
can't afford? haha, u trying to burn my town? oooooo, good one. the side fences end at the light poles on the side lines. catch was made mid way between hr fence and light pole. i'd say our fields are pretty damn nice. right along the river with great mountain views. they're even nicer than these old pics depict.

Walla-Walla-Point-Park.jpg

Just think how much nicer they would be with full fences down the side! I have seen crappy fiends with full fences. What is the deal with a half fences, bunch of cheap skates!

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
I umpire and play, so I get to see it from both sides... Most umpires are reasonable people that want to get the call right.... Sure, there are some morons out there that havent a clue...but there are also moron ballplayers that want to argue EVERYTHING...

Here is the thing... when I am umpiring.. if someone comes to me in a respectful manner, I am more opt to listen to them.... When I get some bozo running at me from the dugout or the field yelling.. "That was effing terrible, blue"... do u really think I will give him the time of day over the guy that comes to me in a respectful manner??

Also, all umpires have "those teams.. and those players" that they cannot stand..

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans
Might get slaughtered for this but...

I admit it when a call goes in my favor but was incorrect. It's happened twice, once when I trapped the ball and he ruled that I caught it in the air and another time (I will filling in in the infield... eeks!) and the ump ruled I had my foot on the bag when I did not. The first time he said "thanks for your honesty" and overturned his call and the second situation the ump did not. But I clearly explained to the other team that I admitted what the correct call was and tried to get him to change his mind. My teammates weren't very happy about it at the time but I've got my integrity and hopefully earned some respect.

Making a play that you know was called incorrectly (dropping the ball and picking it up again if the ump has a bad angle... diving into the stands and walking out with a empty glove when the ump thinks you have it etc etc) is just as bad as cheating in my book. At the end of the day it's up to the ump but at least have the balls to let him + the other team know what the right call was.

tchaos7

Addicted to Softballfans

I admit it when a call goes in my favor but was incorrect. It's happened twice, once when I trapped the ball and he ruled that I caught it in the air and another time (I will filling in in the infield... eeks!) and the ump ruled I had my foot on the bag when I did not. The first time he said "thanks for your honesty" and overturned his call and the second situation the ump did not. But I clearly explained to the other team that I admitted what the correct call was and tried to get him to change his mind. My teammates weren't very happy about it at the time but I've got my integrity and hopefully earned some respect.

Making a play that you know was called incorrectly (dropping the ball and picking it up again if the ump has a bad angle... diving into the stands and walking out with a empty glove when the ump thinks you have it etc etc) is just as bad as cheating in my book. At the end of the day it's up to the ump but at least have the balls to let him + the other team know what the right call was.

yeah that's pretty stupid.

oppo

Coach

I won't lie but i won't correct an umpire in this situation either for 2 reasons. 1 instead of appreciating your honesty, most umps will be upset that you pointed out their mistake. 2 instead of keeping the game fair, what you are actually doing is giving the other team an advantage because they certainly won't do the same. If you want to put yourself at a disadvantage, that is one thing, but it is unfair to put your team mates at a disadvantage.

bigbbrobro

Addicted to Softballfans
Why don't we just eliminate the umpires and let the players on the field make the calls, then we can argue with ourselves!