ASA ASA knob cuff question

flatstick96

Addicted to Softballfans
It is my understanding from the 2010 ASA changes that knob cuffs are now legal in ASA. In a game on Monday night, the other team tried getting my NRG 500 thrown out because I had a knob cuff on it (not sure why they were bitching, I was hitting the ball horribly on Monday...but, whatever).

The ump didn't say one way or the other whether it was legal, but he did tell the other team: "I'm going to allow it, because I don't think it offers any competitive advantage."

Anyhow, I was just hoping someone could confirm quickly whether I'm OK to keep using the knob cuff in my ASA league.

Thanks...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It is my understanding from the 2010 ASA changes that knob cuffs are now legal in ASA. In a game on Monday night, the other team tried getting my NRG 500 thrown out because I had a knob cuff on it (not sure why they were bitching, I was hitting the ball horribly on Monday...but, whatever).

The ump didn't say one way or the other whether it was legal, but he did tell the other team: "I'm going to allow it, because I don't think it offers any competitive advantage."

Anyhow, I was just hoping someone could confirm quickly whether I'm OK to keep using the knob cuff in my ASA league.

Thanks...

Assuming there are no local rules that say otherwise?

They're fine. You may need to put tape over them. See this post here for clarification.

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
Rule 3, Section 1D Safety Grip: Covers the handle region of the bat. The safety grip shall not be less than 10 inches and not more than 15 inches. There shall be no exposed metal in the 10 – 15 inch area. The safety grip may be a molded finger formed grip as long as it is permanently attached to the bat, or attached with safety tape. Resin, pine tar or spray substances are permissible on the safety grip only. Any tape applied to the safety grip must be a continuous spiral. A bat having a flare or cone shaped grip attached is legal.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Rule 3, Section 1D Safety Grip: Covers the handle region of the bat. The safety grip shall not be less than 10 inches and not more than 15 inches. There shall be no exposed metal in the 10 – 15 inch area. The safety grip may be a molded finger formed grip as long as it is permanently attached to the bat, or attached with safety tape. Resin, pine tar or spray substances are permissible on the safety grip only. Any tape applied to the safety grip must be a continuous spiral. A bat having a flare or cone shaped grip attached is legal.

That is fine, but it isn't on point. The knob cuff is about the knob. What you are quoting is about the handle. They are now covered by two separate definitions.