ASA Modified Pitching Rules

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
The warriors aren't really a 10 man they are a true 9 man team same thing with the sPeed boys!!!

Well that sucks! Learn to throw legal and make a run at the nationals next year! I would love to see some other states and will be working on Iowa and maybe we can keep expanding this. I could care less if we had a cobb pitcher ya got to hit and make the plays in the field :) Look at LCBC they went pretty far and their pitchers were BP speed if that. I was impressed they kept winning along the way beating team stats even. Just pitch legal wether it is hard or slow get in it and see how you rank with some of the best. That is why we play right? To compete against the better teams and have a good time doing it?

I never had this much fun at a tourny with the guys we met and drank with after the games.

gofisch, a few years ago printouts were provided to our league by our ASA umps. It was an explanation and demonstration of the differences between "9-man" and "10-man" pitching. The document was written by an experienced pitcher named Sal Guerriero, never met him but he seems to know what he is talking about.
http://10manmodified.com/Web/types_of_pitching/types-of-pitching-styles/
My two cents. If the pitchers arm (humerus/shoulder) rotates/opens up then the ball will be outside of the wrist, the hips will open and there is a good chance that your feet will cross over. The shoulder/humerus is one of the sources (also legs, hips, wrist snap) where greater power/torque comes from. Watch a fast pitch delivery from about 1:00 to finish compared to a (9-man, "slinger") delivery, they are alike. 10-man is supposed to restrict that motion (shoulder/humerus). Just because a pitcher can square up at the delivery and doesn't cross over doesn't mean he is 10-man legal. I love fast pitch, 9-man and 10-man and I hope they can make a comeback and become more popular but there are differences. In my opinion. Play on!

i play in a league with Sal weekend nights for the last few seasons and i had no idea until last season how much of a passion he has for keeping the integrity in 10-man modified. It's actually impressive, the lengths he has gone through to document the slippery tricks that often get by or looked away from by the most experienced of umpires. a lot of Bull is allowed and looked away from and that ultimately is what ruins pitchers, and as said before will ruin the game. The problem is that it's overlooked in league after league because nobody wants to hear 35 grown men crying and whining, and at the end of the night if you guys can hit it, they'll allow it. thats not the point, because then come the tournaments and these guys who's style is completely 9-man show up and get called illegal until they're forced to sit or walk a mercy because illegal gives batter 1st, and the team with the strictest pitcher wins by default. now you may argue well, they had the pitcher that actually threw by the rules, so they deserve it - but any other team with an equal pitcher, Not an outfielder who got thrown to the wolves and learned that day might have been the better team. teams just assume they are legit, and it all falls back on the umpires in league for looking the other way or allowing them to sneak in if the other team is making good contact through the 1st and 2nd innings. It IS possible to be a phenomenal modified pitcher and throw within the restrictions of 10-man. i've seen it. and Unfortunately until it becomes as important to the umpires in leagues as it is in tournaments great pitchers will continue to mix mechanics and throw off the 10-man game.

Sal is very passionate about keeping it legal in 10 man modified. I hope Labor Day at Drifton continues under Sal's vision of what that tournament should be. The last two years have been a great improvement.