ASA/USA Rulebooks and FAQ's

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah i will take your word for it, thanks! The question on the over throws is ask so much because iam sure alot of umpires screw it up.
As for the guy being on the roster i dont know but i guessing hes not have not seen him down there all year! owell thanks for your thoughts.

Yeah......us umpires screw it up.....but you weren't sure....so you asked.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yeah......us umpires screw it up.....but you weren't sure....so you asked.

8518869474_18e8bbe9c3_m.jpg

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
anyone know where I can purchase around 20 ASA rules book (2013 or 2014) for a league I run in a federal prison. I tried ASA and they directed me to my local director

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm thinking that ASA would rather sell a few rule books than have the players educated via the internet. No wonder there are so many stupid questions in the Ask The Umpire section :rolleyes:

I've been searching for a while online and can't find squat. Their website says they don't sell the books but you can get one when you register your team.

Someone should point out to them that this is 2014. I wonder if they still use the yellow pages?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm thinking that ASA would rather sell a few rule books than have the players educated via the internet. No wonder there are so many stupid questions in the Ask The Umpire section :rolleyes:

I've been searching for a while online and can't find squat. Their website says they don't sell the books but you can get one when you register your team.

Someone should point out to them that this is 2014. I wonder if they still use the yellow pages?

And yet the same stupid questions appear for USSSA and NSA, and those associations do make their rule books freely available online. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying ASA shouldn't make the rules more readily available. I think they should. But let's be honest - if the goal is to educate the players and coaches, then USSSA and NSA should have some brilliant ****ing players.

milesej05

The Rookie
were can I get/purchase copies of latest ASA rulebooks I will be needing it for a league

Most leagues hand them out for free (after you pay for the league) so that way you know the rules. Not quite sure why your league director wouldn't give you a rule book.

Most leagues hand them out for free (after you pay for the league) so that way you know the rules. Not quite sure why your league director wouldn't give you a rule book

league coordinators don't hand out rulebooks here I'm in the process of running leagues here and I would like to give all teams that participate in our league a rulebook

stormglove

So is there still no way for access to the rule book? I'm playing on military installation on base in Korea and they say we are following ASA rules but I have no way to educate myself or my team on what those rules are. For instance they are just making up strike zone it appears in the one game we've played. Does ASA not use the normal mat addition to the plate for strike zone? I have no idea and can't seem to find any information.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
So is there still no way for access to the rule book? I'm playing on military installation on base in Korea and they say we are following ASA rules but I have no way to educate myself or my team on what those rules are. For instance they are just making up strike zone it appears in the one game we've played. Does ASA not use the normal mat addition to the plate for strike zone? I have no idea and can't seem to find any information.

There is not a free online copy if that's what you are looking for. Like Joker said, if you look up USA Softball Official Rules there is an app for $15 and then you always have a rule book with you. Also, real ASA tournaments call the ball where it crosses and don't use a mat. The last time I was in Okinawa, the umpires called a real ASA strike zone (no mat). Mat ball is a modification to ASA rules local leagues use (or Seniors use) to make it easier for the umpires to call strikes. I've played a few of the Yongsan Pacific Wide tournaments and they were also regular ASA, no mat. Maybe you are just not used to an actual ASA strike zone. It's very possible for a ball to not land behind the plate that is a strike.