Any Assisting the runner

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Last night I was watching a game (USSSA). Runner on 1st, no outs.
Ball hit to the fence in Right. R1 trips over the bag rounding 3rd. Base coach picks him up and he comes in to score. BR continues to 3B when the play stops.

After the play, the umps call R1 out, run does not score.

The defensive team was arguing that BR had to go back as it is a dead ball as soon as the assistance was given. Play continued after a short discussion.

Good job by the umps. Not only did they get it right, but they handled the questioning of the ruling very professionally. Granted it was not that complicated of a call, but I figured I would give an Atta Boy on this board, just to be different :D

fldiverr

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a similar incident occur in a game a few weeks ago and they made the same correct call. Umps get a lot of grief when they get things wrong, so I don't mind jumping on the Atta Boy bandwagon when they make good calls.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not aware of any rule set- in either baseball or softball- that makes the ball dead on an "assisting the runner" violation. It stays live, other runners can continue advancing and- more importantly- the defense can still play upon and retire those other runners.

A few weeks ago, I ended a game in the bottom of the seventh on this call. Just to make it more interesting, the assisted runner at third base represented the tying run in a semi-final playoff game!

Runner on first, two outs, home team at bat, down one run and they either win and make it to the championship game or go home. Batter hits a long single and the runner heads for third.

The runner trips and overruns third base, running right into the base coach. The base coach then grabs the runner, spins him around and pushes him back toward third. I called the out, game over.

Lot's of grief from the stands, but not a peep from the coach. He later spoke with me and said that he realized this was the right call.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm not aware of any rule set- in either baseball or softball- that makes the ball dead on an "assisting the runner" violation. It stays live, other runners can continue advancing and- more importantly- the defense can still play upon and retire those other runners.

A few weeks ago, I ended a game in the bottom of the seventh on this call. Just to make it more interesting, the assisted runner at third base represented the tying run in a semi-final playoff game!

Runner on first, two outs, home team at bat, down one run and they either win and make it to the championship game or go home. Batter hits a long single and the runner heads for third.

The runner trips and overruns third base, running right into the base coach. The base coach then grabs the runner, spins him around and pushes him back toward third. I called the out, game over.

Lot's of grief from the stands, but not a peep from the coach. He later spoke with me and said that he realized this was the right call.

That's the biggest "oh, ****" moment right there!

You KNOW you have to make the call. You KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT that it's the right call. Everyone saw it happen. You know for a FACT that all hell is going to break loose.

But you steady yourself and, without passion or prejudice, make the call that you are there to make.

It's no wonder our numbers are dwindling. People are too afraid to make tough choices and sell tough calls. They'd rather tuck tail and chicken out.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Call the out right when it happens. That prevents any confusion from the defense trying to play on that runner if he continues to advance after he's already out. This is especially important if there are multiple runners.

NC, the "Oh, ****" look was on the third base coach's face! He knew what he did and knew it was the right call. Told me later that it was just a natural reaction in the heat of the moment.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I was 3B coach a couple times where guys tripped or over-ran,
I stayed away and far enough back... Only picked them up
after time is called, and my team-mates chided me
for being cold-hearted :D

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Can a base runner assist another runner, as long as he doesn't pass him?

That is in the back of my mind somehow.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran

Correcto...

L. When anyone other than another runner physically assists him while the
ball is in play.
EFFECT Sec. 5. L-R. In these situations, the ball remains live and in play, the involved base
runner is out and other base runners are in jeopardy.

However, the last time I had this call, I had to call the other guy out because he PASSED the guy that fell down when he tried to help him up... Third out, Ball Game... There were some pretty unhappy folks that day too.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

During a live ball, yes. During a dead ball, ANYONE can assist the base runner, even another coach.

The rule only pertains to when the ball is live, not dead.

This is VERY specific to ASA. Other organizations may rule differently.

USSSA

The Veteran
Last night I was watching a game (USSSA). Runner on 1st, no outs.
Ball hit to the fence in Right. R1 trips over the bag rounding 3rd. Base coach picks him up and he comes in to score. BR continues to 3B when the play stops.

After the play, the umps call R1 out, run does not score.

The defensive team was arguing that BR had to go back as it is a dead ball as soon as the assistance was given. Play continued after a short discussion.

Good job by the umps. Not only did they get it right, but they handled the questioning of the ruling very professionally. Granted it was not that complicated of a call, but I figured I would give an Atta Boy on this board, just to be different :D

good job chief!!!