Bad Batch of Dudley Thunder TA's?

rkdgator

Addicted to Softballfans
I ordered a dozen Utrip Classic M Thunder Advanced for my team recently and was surprised to discover that the balls are as dead as fried chicken. We have hit TA's for years and they have always performed as well or better than any ball out there. After two games with us barely getting any HR's I decided to test them against a couple used Decker Sharks and X Rocks (Classic M's too). I bounced each off my garage floor and the Dudleys barely even bounced and sounded like duds. The Sharks and Rocks were about the same and bounced way higher. Now I know we don't hit with concrete bats but I've done this in the past and the balls were even. Has anyone else had this issue?

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
All you did was test the CoR relative to the others, and with the multilayer construction I'd expect the Thunder Advance to have a lower CoR value at such low velocities.

Basically you demonstrated that your Thunder Advances might be Thunder Advances.

rkdgator

Addicted to Softballfans
Understood. But my point was they were even in the garage test in the past. I know they are multi-layer but these balls are different than TA's we've bought before I'm sure of it. I was just curious if anyone else has had the same experience recently.

slipknot7801

Addicted to Softballfans
its possible the cor cracked. i had this happen in an all nighter last year, and the balls where flying then all of a sudden the ball was going max 250 and sounded slightly different

the classic m is the 40-325 ball.when subjected to heat,it turns into a sock.seeing your in jaks,fl, i'm guessing that they got hot and that is what is happening to them.

eHall

Base burglar
The COR cannot crack. It is a measurement not a physical part of the ball.

Bouncing a ball is not a good measurement of how lively the ball is. Ive had gold dots that bounced like golf balls where the TAs hardly bounce.

The multilayer balls have a softer outer layer that fools the compression test. they feel squishy but fly like none other.

FULKnSEEDS

Addicted to Softballfans
the classic m is the 40-325 ball.when subjected to heat,it turns into a sock.seeing your in jaks,fl, i'm guessing that they got hot and that is what is happening to them.

in this case the xrocks would have flown about the same.... but they are affected by temp and humidity big time

murc

I ordered a dozen Utrip Classic M Thunder Advanced for my team recently and was surprised to discover that the balls are as dead as fried chicken. We have hit TA's for years and they have always performed as well or better than any ball out there. After two games with us barely getting any HR's I decided to test them against a couple used Decker Sharks and X Rocks (Classic M's too). I bounced each off my garage floor and the Dudleys barely even bounced and sounded like duds. The Sharks and Rocks were about the same and bounced way higher. Now I know we don't hit with concrete bats but I've done this in the past and the balls were even. Has anyone else had this issue?

It's been hotter than crap all over the country. It's possible that they were subjected to ridiculous temps and humidity and were roon't during shipping.

rkdgator

Addicted to Softballfans
The heat has definitely been an issue for everyone. We've played some 8pm games where it was still 95 and 95% humidity. But the Rocks and Sharks still seem to fly better. Played a team hitting the Tattoo balls a while back and those things seem to fly. Then again it's always hot here and I've never noticed this issue before. I think I like the blame the UPS driver theory ;)

goodfella51

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you always keep your gameballs in the heat? I have found that if you keep your gameballs in cooler temp/ac until gametime they will perform much better.

rkdgator

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you always keep your gameballs in the heat? I have found that if you keep your gameballs in cooler temp/ac until gametime they will perform much better.

I keep 'em in my house and I do have an auto thermostat that turns up to about 80 during the day while we're at work. But that should be cool enough. I really do think they might have just gotten really hot during shipping or something. I actually threw one in last night when we ran out of HR's in our league game. No DBO's :rolleyes:

I keep 'em in my house and I do have an auto thermostat that turns up to about 80 during the day while we're at work. But that should be cool enough. I really do think they might have just gotten really hot during shipping or something. I actually threw one in last night when we ran out of HR's in our league game. No DBO's :rolleyes:

hey is this BO,this old guy bob from sigonella when you were there,hows it going.

rkdgator

Addicted to Softballfans
hey is this BO,this old guy bob from sigonella when you were there,hows it going.

Great to hear from you Bob and good to see you back down again this year for CST. Curt is still recovering from shoulder surgery but he's on the mend and will hopefully be back to full strength by CST 2012. You guys staying cool in Texas?

They may be the new classic m's without the multi-layer. The new ball is no where near as good as the old.

Aha. A little new info. I did hear rumblings in the past about the TA's getting tinkered with. When did they change them?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They may be the new classic m's without the multi-layer. The new ball is no where near as good as the old.

They haven't made TA's without the multi-layer though. I thought they called them something different.

If they are multi-layer TAs they could've just gotten too hot or been old.