ASA Ball 4 with stealing clarification?

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Tried searching and it's either not here or I just suck at searching. Scanned the rule book too and still not 100% sure.

Bases loaded
Ball 4 called on a pitch that landed well past the plate/strike zone (did not hit the plate)
Catcher returned ball to pitcher, but P was between HP and mound
P had his back to HP, moving towards the mound
R2 went to 3B and continued advancing to Home (I am not sure if he stopped at 3B then advanced due to P's back being turned or kept stride the entire time). I also am not sure where he was when P received the ball, but I would find it hard to believe he was past 3B at the time.

What is the ruling here and why?

I think it matters where R2 was when the ball was returned to the P and what R3 was doing (still advancing or stopped)....or does it not matter bc P was not on the mound in possession of the ball?

Thanks in advance.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I found an old thread from 2015 that cited this which sort of applies to the scenario.

PLAY: In Slow Pitch w/Stealing, R1 comes off of 3B when B2 draws a walk. B2 continues to 2B after touching 1B as R1: a) makes no effort to advance toward the plate OR b) moves 15 – 20 feet down the foul line toward home plate then retreats to 3B drawing a throw from F2.
COMMENTS: The original intent of the base stealing rule in Slow Pitch was to allow runners to advance with liability to be put out when the ball got away from the catcher. The Slow Pitch game was never intended to be played with an eight foot circle around the Pitcher’s plate and a “Look Back Rule”. Rule 8, Section 4F [2] states that “runners are entitled to advance with liability to be put out until the pitcher has possession of the ball in the infield and all immediate play has apparently been completed.” The batter was not a runner at the time the pitch was judged to be ball four. Therefore, when the Pitcher receives the ball and is in the vicinity of the Pitcher’s plate no one can legally advance. Time should be called and runners should return to their base.

If a runner comes off of 3B when the batter receives a walk and makes no attempt to advance to the plate or no throw is made to pick off the runner at 3B, a batter-runner cannot legally advance to 2B if, in the umpire’s judgment, all play had ceased before the catcher returned the ball to the Pitcher. This should be treated the same as any ball that is hit to the outfield and returned to the infield. Time should be called and runners returned to 1B and 3B. (Rule 10, Section 4I)

If so, then let me change the scenario a tad......lets say the catcher missed the ball and R2 was at 3B by the time the C returned the ball to the P. What factors then dictate sending him back to 3B vs allowing his run to count?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Tried searching and it's either not here or I just suck at searching. Scanned the rule book too and still not 100% sure.

Bases loaded
Ball 4 called on a pitch that landed well past the plate/strike zone (did not hit the plate)
R2 went to 3B and continued advancing to Home (I am not sure if he stopped at 3B then advanced due to P's back being turned or kept stride the entire time). I also am not sure where he was when P received the ball, but I would find it hard to believe he was past 3B at the time.

I think it matters where R2 was when the ball was returned to the P and what R3 was doing (still advancing or stopped)....or does it not matter bc P was not on the mound in possession of the ball?

Thanks in advance.

Dead ball, put R2 back on 3b

RNRPLZ

Bases loaded

Thanks in advance.
Unless there is a local rule run counts. If he had been thrown out, he would have been put. Runners are at risk until picture is on mound and beginning to start next pitch

Joker

Unless there is a local rule run counts. If he had been thrown out, he would have been put. Runners are at risk until picture is on mound and beginning to start next pitch
are you intentionally trying to be wrong with everything you post?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Simply not true. When the pitcher receives the ball in the infield and all obvious play is complete