ball hits runner on base

terry larkin

bases loaded. tow outs. Line drive stirkes runner standing on First. Pircher ?manager insists that the runner is out Game over.

It is senior ball so we self ump. Batting team says runner is not out bercasue that is a baseball rule.

batting team says it is a dead ball. BUT nobody know what happens next.

Pitcher manager agrees to drop the arguement becasue the batter agrees to take strike one.
Batter then flies out to end the game so nobody knows what the rule should have been.

ureout

The Veteran
SSUSA which are senior rules says if it did not pass a fielder (which is unlikely) who could make a play on it it's a dead ball.. BR awarded 1st base and all runners advance who are forced to advance .. if the 1B was playing in front of the bag it's a live ball play on

terry larkin - go to SSUSA (Senior Softball USA) website, there is a list of informational topics listed across top of home page, click on tournaments, drop down menu rules, see Rulebook, you can open and read rules, print out complete rulebook and put in your batbag, or download the pdf for your reference and share with other Sr softball players.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
There are four aspects to this play:

1. Was the ball fair or foul
A. If foul its a dead ball and strike on the batter
B. If fair, go to 2
2. Did the runner cause interference
A. If yes, dead ball runner out, B/R placed at 1st base
B. If no, then go to 3
3. Was the nearest defender located in front of the base or behind the base
A. If in front of the base, live ball as the defender had an opportunity to make a play on the ball
B. If beyond the base, dead ball, go to 4
4. Batter runner is placed at 1st base and any runner forced by this action will be moved up.

THERE IS NO OUT UNLESS THE RUNNER HIT BY THE BATTED BALL INTERFERED.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
We have the correct interpretations for SSUSA and USA. For USSSA, the only questions are: Was the the ball fair or foul? And did the runner intentionally interfere with the ball's flight? If it was fair and the runner did not intentionally interfere, it's a live ball, play on.

Absolutely nothing to do with this post specifically, but I wanted to voice my appreciation for this forum and those that participate to provide an accurate understanding of the rules and scenarios. Thank you.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Can it be considered interference in this situation where base runner is in contact with the bag when they are hit by batted ball

EA - I see DeputyUIC response and that is spelled out clearly in ASA/USA rules, we are all in agreement. I looked at USSSA 2020 rule book but don't see any reference to ball striking runner while still in contact with first base and remaining a live ball? Help with the Rule and paragraph so i will have this reference should this occur in an upcoming game, and thanks,

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Can it be considered interference in this situation where base runner is in contact with the bag when they are hit by batted ball

Yes, but, it must be an intentional act...i.e. throws his hip out ala Reggie Jackson (although Jackson was not in contact with a base).

Last edited:

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
EA - I see DeputyUIC response and that is spelled out clearly in ASA/USA rules, we are all in agreement. I looked at USSSA 2020 rule book but don't see any reference to ball striking runner while still in contact with first base and remaining a live ball? Help with the Rule and paragraph so i will have this reference should this occur in an upcoming game, and thanks,

Section 12, BASERUNNERS ARE NOT OUT:
L. When, while in contact with the base, the base runner is hit with a fair batted ball unless the umpire rules that the ball was intentionally interfered with, or a fielder interfered with, while attempting to field a batted ball.
EFFECT Sec. 12 L-M. The ball remains live with all runners continuing to be in jeopardy.

Sully - thanks for the rule reference, so it appears that USSSA rule set may be only rule book that matters not where the fielder is located when runner, on bag, in fair territory is hit by a batted ball, play on, ball is live. i would assume their approach is that this gives both the offense and defense equal opportunity to advance runners or make plays on the runners, interesting

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
And then in NSA, if the ball was fair and the runner didn’t intentionally interfere, the ball is automatically dead, and the batter-runner gets first base.

Funny how different sanctions can have completely different rulings on the exact same play.