ASA Ball Thrown Out of Play

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Well, I *thought* I knew this rule, but apparently not.

I'm on 1st. Slow roller hit to 3rd. Runner is slower than the ball is hit. Defense attempts to turn the double play. I beat the throw to 2nd, and am called safe on the play. SS gets the ball from 3B and throws to first wildly. Ball goes out of play.

The umpire said since I was still on the bag and not attempting to move to third when throw was made I only get one base. So at the end of the play, I end up on 3rd and the batter ends up on 2nd. Now, I *thought* that it's 2 bases from the time of the throw - but that may have just been the simplified interpretation I've always heard, where the verbiage of the rule is a bit more verbose and specific.

What is the actual rule, and was the call made on the field the correct call?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

I'm on 1st. Slow roller hit to 3rd. Runner is slower than the ball is hit. Defense attempts to turn the double play. I beat the throw to 2nd, and am called safe on the play. SS gets the ball from 3B and throws to first wildly. Ball goes out of play.

The umpire said since I was still on the bag and not attempting to move to third when throw was made I only get one base. So at the end of the play, I end up on 3rd and the batter ends up on 2nd. Now, I *thought* that it's 2 bases from the time of the throw - but that may have just been the simplified interpretation I've always heard, where the verbiage of the rule is a bit more verbose and specific.

Two bases from the runner's/batter-runner's position at the time of the throw. If you were on 2B at the time of the throw, you would get home. If the BR still had not reached 1B at the time of the throw, s/he would be awarded 2B

CrashDavus

This is interesting, because this happened last night to us as well. Team tried to turn a DP and overthrew first and they only gave the batter 2nd base.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is interesting, because this happened last night to us as well. Team tried to turn a DP and overthrew first and they only gave the batter 2nd base.

Well, this call would be correct. If the batter-runner hasn't yet reached first base when the throw is released, then he'd get second base.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

You knew the rule. Umpire didn't.

Damn it, people... protest! :)

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
I doubt the runner would have been at first before the ball was released from the defensive players hand or there was no reason for the throw to ever happen...

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
You knew the rule. Umpire didn't.

Damn it, people... protest! :)

It was co-ed. It was league. We don't even have uniforms. I didn't care that much to protest, I just like to know the rules. (Just not enough to spend $14.99 on the app)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It was co-ed. It was league. We don't even have uniforms. I didn't care that much to protest, I just like to know the rules. (Just not enough to spend $14.99 on the app)

Great... so because you're cheap, I have to do the research for you! I see how it is...

Just messin'. You guys give me crap all the time out on the field, so on here, it's my turn.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Great... so because you're cheap, I have to do the research for you! I see how it is...

Just messin'. You guys give me crap all the time out on the field, so on here, it's my turn.

If ASA would make their rule book available to registered players I would look it up myself! :)

I make it a point to try and not argue with an umpire on the field. I will ask what he saw, or why he called something, or an explanation of why. But as far as I go on saying he blew a call is "it looked different from my angle." The exception to that is when it's a single umpire system and he never moves out from behind the plate, has a horrible angle, and blows the call (although with those umpires it's always more than one) bad enough that both teams agree he blew the call. At that point I will usually say "If you get out from behind the plate, you can actually see what everyone else saw." I know it won't win my any brownie points, but damn dude, you got legs, use em.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If ASA would make their rule book available to registered players I would look it up myself! :)
They're not giving you a book? Someone is shortchanging you, then. Every team and umpire who registers with ASA is supposed to receive a copy of the rule book. Perhaps ask whoever registered you for one?
I make it a point to try and not argue with an umpire on the field. I will ask what he saw, or why he called something, or an explanation of why. But as far as I go on saying he blew a call is "it looked different from my angle." The exception to that is when it's a single umpire system and he never moves out from behind the plate, has a horrible angle, and blows the call (although with those umpires it's always more than one) bad enough that both teams agree he blew the call. At that point I will usually say "If you get out from behind the plate, you can actually see what everyone else saw." I know it won't win my any brownie points, but damn dude, you got legs, use em.
Oh, amen to that. All of that. All of the above of that. Everything posted here? Yep, that.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
They're not giving you a book? Someone is shortchanging you, then. Every team and umpire who registers with ASA is supposed to receive a copy of the rule book. Perhaps ask whoever registered you for one?

Oh, amen to that. All of that. All of the above of that. Everything posted here? Yep, that.

Our travel team has one, but I do not have it in my possession.

I've been a referee in football, basketball, and volleyball. I know calls will be missed, no point in berating someone over what they (think) they saw. Whenever I'd call captains, or sometimes the whole team, over before a game I'd look at their uniforms and ask them if they had NFL/NBA patches on their uniforms. They would answer no. I'd say "neither do I, and if any of us did we wouldn't be here right now because you'd be getting paid, and I'd be getting paid a lot more. You're probably going to botch a play or two, I/(we) will probably miss a call or two. You do your best, I'll do my best and the world isn't going to end because of what happens in the next hour."

Even the guys that were notorious for arguing and complaining to other referees never complained even when I screwed the pooch on a call.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Our travel team has one, but I do not have it in my possession.

I've been a referee in football, basketball, and volleyball. I know calls will be missed, no point in berating someone over what they (think) they saw. Whenever I'd call captains, or sometimes the whole team, over before a game I'd look at their uniforms and ask them if they had NFL/NBA patches on their uniforms. They would answer no. I'd say "neither do I, and if any of us did we wouldn't be here right now because you'd be getting paid, and I'd be getting paid a lot more. You're probably going to botch a play or two, I/(we) will probably miss a call or two. You do your best, I'll do my best and the world isn't going to end because of what happens in the next hour."

Even the guys that were notorious for arguing and complaining to other referees never complained even when I screwed the pooch on a call.

Please move to NC.