baseball and/or softball rules

BruceinGa

always online
I thought it would be interesting to quiz some of us about baseball/softball rules. Granted these are about baseball rules, even "old" rules, from the 1940's and 1950's but still thought it would be fun. After reading some of these I wondered how they would apply to current softball rules.
These come from The Saturday Evening Post. This particular one was in the July 23, 1949 issue.
After a few days I'll post the answer. Some are quite humorous!
I believe this one will be easy to answer correctly.

So you know 7-23-49 q.png

longball101

Part Time Player
Ok, gonna give this one a shot and see if I can explain my theory...I was originally going to say run scores...but as I was typing my response I reconsidered and now say NO run scored... as essentially an inning ending dbl-play occurred

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Inning ending double play...that's an easy one. Since the batter/runner missed first base this would be treated as a force out. With there being one out already and then the put out at the plate that would make 3 outs. Since the 3rd out is a force out no run can score.

defos

Moss can't take 1st on a 3rd strike that got away from the catcher because 1st base is occupied. He's the 2nd out and Pellagrini is the 3rd.

BruceinGa

always online
my guess is that if a batting out of order violation isn't caught, it becomes the new legit batting order going forward.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
That should not be correct. The official batting order is the one which is on the line up card provided to the umpire at the start of the game. Seminick should be called out because he is the proper batter after Miller. The next batter should be Roberts. You can't call Jones out because a pitch has already been thrown to Miller.

Last edited:

longball101

Part Time Player
he can get a running start as long as he touches the bag properly, but no obstruction as that he is not running in the designated base path

tonys1

Only pitchers in slow pitch softball are allowed to take a walking start, but they're jerks if they do that.

BruceinGa

always online
So you know 4-19-52a.png
This is an interesting rule. I agree that the rule pertaining to this may have changed since 1952. I'm wondering if softball rules allow this.

40 years ago I went through a period when I would keep a foot on the base with my other foot 4 feet behind the base, giving my a one stride head start at getting up to full speed. I discontinued this after an umpire called me out for leaving early. My think at the time was the the umpire saw (out of the corner of his eye) some movement, thinking I had left early.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
View attachment 65228
I guess it's still too easy.

What's the rationale for allowing the batter to take first with one out, but not when there are two out?

And, BTW, the most disturbing thing about all the scenarios being described is that I recognize the players' names. In the just completed World Series, I hardly recognized any to the players.

I loved this column when I was a kid, but can't remember where I used to read it. Sporting News, maybe?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
What's the rationale for allowing the batter to take first with one out, but not when there are two out?

And, BTW, the most disturbing thing about all the scenarios being described is that I recognize the players' names. In the just completed World Series, I hardly recognized any to the players.

I loved this column when I was a kid, but can't remember where I used to read it. Sporting News, maybe?
You have it backwards, the batter is not allowed to advance to first with less than two outs if first base is occupied. It would set up an easy double play if it were allowed. The catcher would drop the third strike, throw to first, tag the runner there then step on the base.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
You have it backwards, the batter is not allowed to advance to first with less than two outs if first base is occupied. It would set up an easy double play if it were allowed. The catcher would drop the third strike, throw to first, tag the runner there then step on the base.

Good point, somehow I turned it around. Now I understand the rationale, too. Thanks..