Basic Pitching Mechanics?

mpk

Extra Hitter
I manage a rec level co-ed team. A couple of our pitchers can't play this season and our one bona fide pitcher has work that takes him out of town occasionally so I'm needing to develop some pitchers out of the players already on the team. I have 3-4 guys willing to learn that have solid baseball backgrounds but have never pitched slow pitch before. I've never pitched slow pitch either so I don't have first hand experience to share.

What I'm looking for is a set of basic mechanics to teach and help them throw strikes consistently. I've looked around here and googled it but haven't found anything real basic like foot work, grip, arm/wrist action, etc. I'm not looking for how to throw curveballs, knuckleballs, etc. We'll get there but these guys just aren't to that point yet. We need to throw just basic meatball strikes at this point. We had a weekend last year where all our regular pitchers were unavailable and it was brutal with all the walks.

Any good resources out there to help build the foundation of a decent pitcher?

Normy

Like he said at the end of the video, just get out there and practice. In rec league the main concept is throw strikes and defend yourself.

dunkky

beautiful flowthru, great arm extension standing still. PERFECT post pitch SETUP

ONLY to get annihilated by 100 mph bullet in 0.023 sec. :):)

hitsone

Well no video here but as has been mentioned there are a lot of really good dvd's and videos out there.
I stand facing the batter with my palm facing my hip that is the most natural, easy feeling. the ball is gripped fingers on the outsde of the ball and the thumb on the inside. The front foot is facing straight at the batter. The arm is raised and the ball is released on the upward swing. The old adage of practice, practice, practice is gold. Chose a candidate who is willing to spend his own time to improve his ability. You just don't show up and throw. Have him talk to other more acomplished pitcher's, This will take time, don't loose track of improving gradually stick to gettin the feel down, have a go to pitch you can use to throw strikes at will. Fancy piches are great but almost any coach or teammate would rather not have walks given. remind them they are a defensive player also, get ready to protect yourself and field the ball. Many coachs have reminded me that there are 9 guys behind me to support me, throw strikes and they can field easier hits.

basilray

I'm no ace, but ended up offering to play for my church team when I can, as they do not have anyone else who has ever pitched before (wife is not thrilled). As I've been thinking about how I can help prep some other guys, here's things I've been thinking about:

1. You have to practice until you're comfortable
2. You need a basic understanding of batting tendencies based on pitch location, and how to use them
3. You should almost never throw the same pitch intended for the same spot twice in a row - It's slowpitch, not MLB
4. You should focus on throwing strikes first and foremost, before trying to be "fancy"
5. You should be able to do more than stand there an lob the ball straight-away: Spin, angles, etc

I think the most important thing for a new pitcher to understand, is that you're going to give up hits. It's inevitable. Dingers, extra bases, walks, they're all things that WILL happen. You can't let that cause you to implode.

Redsfan

[QUOTE
I think the most important thing for a new pitcher to understand, is that you're going to give up hits. It's inevitable. Dingers, extra bases, walks, they're all things that WILL happen. You can't let that cause you to implode.[/QUOTE]

Good advise. I couldn't believe the amount of new pitchers that think they will not get shelled. All pitchers give up hits. From Major down to Rec league.

SandyWH

#Delicious
Two tips to give to novice pitchers:
- try not to fully extend the arm in the wind up. Its easier to control the pitch if the elbow isn't locked out
- don't just let your arm and shoulder pitch, use your legs/feet to propel the ball toward the plate

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't step. It's just one less moving party to deal with, especially if you want to carry your delivery or the field conditions are bad. I've watched steppers walk in tons of ribs in the rain because they're slipping all over.

Look at Purcell. Pitching foot back, twist the hips if you need a little more push, but you should be able to pitch all arm too.

Don't over think it. Your throwing the ball underhanded. Just try and do the same thing every time until you've got it dialed in.

mpk

Extra Hitter
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Took the advice here and did my best try train my prospects. Two of the guys we tried out stuck pretty well and one of them is consistent enough that he's been experimenting with backspin, knuckles, and curves with decent results.

XarmyBaller

Addicted to Softballfans
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Took the advice here and did my best try train my prospects. Two of the guys we tried out stuck pretty well and one of them is consistent enough that he's been experimenting with backspin, knuckles, and curves with decent results.

Try to MASTER 1 pitch at a time, meaning it can be thrown for a strike 8 of 10 times. Then work on location, preferably borderline pitches(inside, outside), then height, then speed. After you have like MASTERED 2 pitches then try throwing them one after the other. Then you add another MASTERED pitch....... But the key to is to MASTER 1 pitch before trying multiple.

The best sports technique I can give is the pitching motion is almost identical to bowling. Same back swing and forward release motion. The more practice the better. Do lots of bp sessions. If you've got a screen, until they are consistent and comfortable backing up and preparing themselves, use it. After they are consistently hitting the strike mat or zone pending on your leagues rules and association they follow hit middle on them so they are comfortable being hit at because it will happen. I pitch on occasion and I've been hit in rec leagues by guys I played in comp leagues with that have excellent bat control. They need to be ready to defend themselves. Getting hit hurts a lot.