Bat testing gone wild

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
Our utrip league had bat testing on the weekend. New ASA testers were used that were in theory properly calibrated and able to test/gauge both ASA and utrip. Well many teams had NIW fail or on the line. Also many teams had 60%-75% fail.

They are going to send info to the maker of the testers but I have a hard time understanding that the process was handled correctly or the testers being faulty. The fail rate is outrageous.

I heard of leagues test with asa testers and then use a utrip tester and the results yielded high pass rate testing utrip bats with a utrip tester.

I could upload a link of a video but there is language issues so probably can't.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Joker

i think you shouldn't have started this terrible thread. holy **** language issues, are you 12? grow the **** up

Pretty

Softball is cool
He means that they speak Canadian where he is from. Thus most people on the forum wouldn’t understand what people were saying in the video.

Outside of French Canadians, I am pretty sure they speak English. I have been there a few times.

Stump

Addicted to Softballfans
My first thought would be whether or not they were using the non-linear threshold list vs the traditional 1450 psi for USA Softball. About 80% of new bats are non-linear and many have a much much lower threshold.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
My first thought would be whether or not they were using the non-linear threshold list vs the traditional 1450 psi for USA Softball.

Our utrip league had bat testing on the weekend. New ASA testers were used that were in theory properly calibrated and able to test/gauge both ASA and utrip.

Sounds like they were using ASA testers on USSSA bats and converting the numbers over. The testers may not have been calibrated, the conversion may have gotten screwed up, or most likely: new bats suck and the whiners got what they asked for; hot out of the wrapper bats that fail when you breathe on them.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like they were using ASA testers on USSSA bats and converting the numbers over. The testers may not have been calibrated, the conversion may have gotten screwed up, or most likely: new bats suck and the whiners got what they asked for; hot out of the wrapper bats that fail when you breathe on them.
My thoughts exactly! Also would have to take used bats into consideration 60%/75% fail rate on used bats would be pretty darn good imo :)

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My thoughts exactly! Also would have to take used bats into consideration 60%/75% fail rate on used bats would be pretty darn good imo :)
That would be damn good in an area that has never tested. People don't realize how quickly even the year old bats fail, and especially don't realize how long they last between failing and cracking.

hitsone

Your bat pict looks like my garage. I see you appreciate some of the best old timers as I still do.