Bat weight

limber15

Banned User
Ok first of I'm a big guy 6,3 280. I was e
Wondering what would happen if I jumped up to a 29 oz bat vs 26or27 oz sticks. I doubt I will have any issues controlling the different weight. Or even going to a 30oz stick.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
swing the heaviest bat you can without losing bat speed. I'm 5'10" 165 and i swing a 27oz booger. Last year i was struggling and switched to a 30oz booger and that was the best i've ever hit.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
I'm about your size, and 29 is my preferred weight. They're getting more and more difficult to find nowadays.

wink

Winkleton
swing the heaviest bat you can without losing bat speed. I'm 5'10" 165 and i swing a 27oz booger. Last year i was struggling and switched to a 30oz booger and that was the best i've ever hit.

exactly^^

I still swing a 27 or 28, but last year I swung a 30oz. It was a very good feel and hit great with it. I don't want to swing a heavy bat all the time, so I stick with the 27-28ozers, but it felt great and I am only 6 even 180. So a 29 should feel very nice!

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
It honestly has little to do with how big you are. Its how strong your forearms are. Guys have intense upper body strength that are little, can swing 30oz bats no problem. I mean, little guys swing 31oz in baseball all day long. With that said, big guys are generally stronger, but not always.

Its all about mass and inertia. If you can swing a 30, and not lose bat speed, then swing the 30. Its not easy though, in game #8 in a tournament.

limber15

Banned User
I can't wait to find out I swing 27s like they are broom sticks years of hockey have given me very fast hands

thepiombino

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not just bat speed, but bat speed THROUGH contact. Try all different weights and see what works for you. But simple physics dictates that if you can swing a 30oz bat just as fast as a 26oz bat through contact, the ball WILL go farther.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Man up and swing a 30oz. Light bats are for girls and girly men. No offense. Oh, and if you (general "you", not the OP) can't keep the bat speed through contact, :rolleyes: then get your fat (or frail) butt in the gym and move something heavy for a while and get strong. Problem solved. You'll be droppin bombs in no time.

thorrider350

Addicted to Softballfans
Man up and swing a 30oz. Light bats are for girls and girly men. No offense. Oh, and if you (general "you", not the OP) can't keep the bat speed through contact, :rolleyes: then get your fat (or frail) butt in the gym and move something heavy for a while and get strong. Problem solved. You'll be droppin bombs in no time.

6' 3" 315lbs = 275x10 reps bench press.. not sure on max

I swing a 34/26 ssr2 mainly cause of the pop but prefer my 34/24 ssr3b fp cause of how good it feels when i swing.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6' 3" 315lbs = 275x10 reps bench press.. not sure on max

I swing a 34/26 ssr2 mainly cause of the pop but prefer my 34/24 ssr3b fp cause of how good it feels when i swing.

1. I guess it's all personal preference, but if your goal is to hit the ball as hard and far as possible, you should be swinging heavier bats.

2. Bench Press is lame. A better strength benchmark would be how many handstand push ups you can do, or pull ups, or heck even how much weight you snatch balance.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
It honestly has little to do with how big you are. Its how strong your forearms are. Guys have intense upper body strength that are little, can swing 30oz bats no problem. I mean, little guys swing 31oz in baseball all day long. With that said, big guys are generally stronger, but not always.

Its all about mass and inertia. If you can swing a 30, and not lose bat speed, then swing the 30. Its not easy though, in game #8 in a tournament.

I wouldn't even say it's that simple. I really don't have a ton of upper body strength, but prefer heavier bats. They just seem to fit my swing better than light bats.

RT Addict

\m/NEED MORE COWBELL\m/
Ok first of I'm a big guy 6,3 280. I was e
Wondering what would happen if I jumped up to a 29 oz bat vs 26or27 oz sticks. I doubt I will have any issues controlling the different weight. Or even going to a 30oz stick.

Should not be a problem. Just don't think about the weight and make sure you are getting full use of your wrists in your swing.

Guys who go up in bat weight sometimes tend to overthink the increased weight issue and start over-compensating, which leads to casting / dragging the bat through the zone. Keep the wrists and grip loose and flick the bat through the zone - bombs away..........:)

I like to pick up a 26oz and take 3-4 quick swings in the on deck circle, then pick up my 30oz (no swings) and step straight into the box.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
People always rag on me for swinging 30's but I feel like I hit the ball pretty well with em. I'd prefer to have bat control over blinding fast bat speed.

gsus03

Banned User
Limber15, I have a super clean 30oz freak98 flat sticker...IDK how I ever ended up with a 30oz bat, but I will never swing it...didn't mean to hijack the thread, but computer at work won't let me PM for some reason..LMK if you are interested

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Size doesn't determine optimal bat weight, and too many guys get hung up on how heavy their bat is and try to turn it into a **** measuring contest.

Swing whatever you find you perform best with.

J12

Coach
5'10, 160 and I hit best with a 30 oz. bat.. If you can swing a 30 oz stick i'd definitely recommend it..

J12

Coach
Size doesn't determine optimal bat weight, and too many guys get hung up on how heavy their bat is and try to turn it into a **** measuring contest.

Swing whatever you find you perform best with.

But really, that's even more on the money. Try some other bats and see what you like.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep. That's one reason I'll probably never move my 32 oz. Techzilla, haha. It would take me forever and a day to sell at a decent price.

:eek::eek::eek: That's a stick right there!!!

People always bash me for having so many bats... 30's are so hard to come by you've got to pick them up when you can. I've got enough to last me for a while now though.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Selecting the right bat is not as simple as Bat Weight... although that certainly is a factor...

Some of the factors involved in the right bat includes:

Your type of swing - Rotational vs Linear
Your Strength - How fast can you move a heavier bat
Bat Weight Perception - How heavy does the bat feel
Bat Weighting - Balanced vs Endloaded
Hitting Intention - Swing for the fence or Place the ball anywhere
Hitting Style - Pull hitter, Backside hitter, Take what you're given

If you have access to alot of different bats, swing them all to see what feels right for your natural swing...

And, as others have said, tune up your swing if that's needed...

In the end, only you can answer the question of which bat is best for you... no matter what weight it happens to be...

%%%

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Selecting the right bat is not as simple as Bat Weight... although that certainly is a factor...

Some of the factors involved in the right bat includes:

Your type of swing - Rotational vs Linear
Your Strength - How fast can you move a heavier bat
Bat Weight Perception - How heavy does the bat feel
Bat Weighting - Balanced vs Endloaded
Hitting Intention - Swing for the fence or Place the ball anywhere
Hitting Style - Pull hitter, Backside hitter, Take what you're given

If you have access to alot of different bats, swing them all to see what feels right for your natural swing...

And, as others have said, tune up your swing if that's needed...

In the end, only you can answer the question of which bat is best for you... no matter what weight it happens to be...

%%%

Way too much thought in this.........Are you impressed with yourself?