Bats and Balls

bostonpete

Addicted to Softballfans
Saw a possible tragedy last night in our league. A veteran pitcher took what appeared to be a line shot directly to the temple. Although completely unseen he was able to partially deflect the direct hit with his pitching hand. He layed on the mound motionless for a period of time, but was eventually able to leave the field on his own power with no head damage, but a broken thumb. HE WAS LUCKY!!

Anyways this brings me to the question, how many leagues out there use cork center balls instead of poly, and how many allow only single wall or wood bats with multi walls and composites being banned. I am all about competition, but it's only a matter of time before the event I wrote about becomes much more tragic.

jordane1187

Addicted to Softballfans
We used cork centered balls, but all asa bats are legal.

I hate hitting the balls after the second inning, but I agree safety is important.

gofisch

Our league solution to this was to require pitchers to wear helmets/masks. We have bat rules(but no one enforces them) and they changed the ball to .44/375 big whoop. I keep trying to tell them to enforce the bat rules and change the ball. Its not like they don't know what can happen, two years in a row pitchers have had their jaws broken. Idiots. I pitch and bought a Gameface.

ace88

Addicted to Softballfans
We use 44/375 softballs, I think they are poly core, Dudley WT12-RF80. We do allow aluminum bats, including multiwalls, but we don't allow composites, or anything that is a half and half bat...we do not allow bats like the DeMarini White or Raw Steel. Some want to go back to the Dudley SB12LND, which is .47/375 and is not ASA certified, but is a cork softball. I think the Dudley SB12LND is more lively...but I like the lower scores and games moving faster.

strategy8

i'd rather be golfing...
i'm gonna sound like the bad guy it seems, first off though, it is a shame whenever ANYONE gets hurt playing a rec game, be it softball, basketball, anything, and i don't knock anyone for wearing a mask as a personal preference, (though i may talk a little shyt to 'em esp. if i know 'em)... but the fact is, that's the risk you take when you play the game, esp. at pitcher... just like every time you slide into a base you risk tearing all the ligaments in your knee... seen it happen... and any high fly foul ball could possibly land on someones kids or wives head and knock 'em out, possibly even kill 'em, who knows... but the number of serious injuries vs. the number of pitchers/pitches thrown nationwide, etc. is a VERY rare occurance... i also seen quite a few great plays made by pitchers this year snagging line drives out of mid air that were ripped right at 'em, even by some of the older guys, and NO ONE in our league wears a mask on the mound... but fact is, any one of those plays coulda been a disaster with just a slight change of circumstance...

the 98mph bat rule was a good one to make, esp. for the higher classes of play, (and anyone who doesn't like it can play ISF or utripp, etc.), and leagues are already enforcing their own rules; no composites, etc, plus there's plenty of things individual players are doing to better safeguard themselves as a personal preference, and if it's that serious, then go ahead and join that crowd... but if you're not doing those things on an individual level, which you could, ie, wear a mask on the mound, then you're choosing to take the added risk, and "IF" something happens, it's not the ASA's fault, nor demarini's or worth's for making the bat, or the ball manufacturer's, it's your own fault if anybody's, but i feel it's more just circumstancial, and a victim of circumstance you became... i really don't think they (the ASA) should do any more to make the game "even safer" then it already is though... shoot, we'll be playing with newspaper filled/duct taped wiffle ball bats and tennis balls calling "ghosty at 1st and 2nd" before long...

as for league to league rules, i have no problem for individual leagues enforcing their own modified rules to suit their own fears and concerns... but as for ASA, they've already done enough, and nothing more should be done by them... if anything players need to stay sharp with their skills and keep their heads and wits about 'em when playing.

advice to pitchers, soon as you release, be in a position to field the ball and make a play... don't ever take it for granted... that goes back to little league baseball/softball fundamentals... release, square yourself with your glove up...

that's my 2 cents though...

Last edited:

DIGGER 8

Starting Player
Modified Fastpitch

I think your looking at this from a slow pitch point of view, when the pitcher releases the ball and it's going 12 ft high in the air he has plenty of time to field his position.... This is a modified fastpitch conversation, there guy's that can throw up to 70 mph...... I dont care how athletic you are, when a 60to 70 mph pitch comes off of these bats right at you there is no reaction time...

just duck and cover......

gofisch

I think your looking at this from a slow pitch point of view, when the pitcher releases the ball and it's going 12 ft high in the air he has plenty of time to field his position.... This is a modified fastpitch conversation, there guy's that can throw up to 70 mph...... I dont care how athletic you are, when a 60to 70 mph pitch comes off of these bats right at you there is no reaction time...

This is a good point, plus add the fact that at the end of your delivery you are about 42 ft from the plate and the ball is coming back at you at twice the speed it left your hand.(some math major can figure out how quick that is :)) Strategy8 is correct in the fact that we all go into it knowing the risk.

strategy8

i'd rather be golfing...

ummm... i play modified fast pitch bud... hence why i check in the modfied board... (maybe i'll switch to slow pitch in 10 years or so)....

and it's not "that" hard to square yourself with the batter and have your glove up after your release (before the swing) even if you're throwing 60-70mph. you're already squared before the pitch, it should be second nature immediately after the release to already have your glove up and squared ready just in case...

are there risks? of course... i've seen a few shots back at the pitcher that weren't too pretty... but i've also seen some great plays made by pitchers...

so again, if you wanna wear the helmet, then fine, wear it.
if not, then don't, but then i don't wanna hear how "dangerous" it is...
and if it's really THAT dangerous in your mind and you don't wanna wear the helmet, then don't get on the mound, go play slowpitch (which still has it's risks when the batters have all day to set up their swings and then swing real hard), or don't play at all, coach if you have to...

but i still don't think the ASA needs to modify the rules more and more on a nat'l level to try to keep protecting everyone... sure saftey's improtant, but for the most part the game is pretty frickin' safe... how far do we take it? 50mph bats with rubber practice balls??? seriously...

maybe i just speak for myself, but i'm sure a few people agree, that for pretty much anything in life; cars, bikes, quads, debauchery, sports, LIFE;

no risk usually = no fun

DD34

Addicted to Softballfans
well i must say i agree with every word strategy8 has to say. iv been playing mod since 92 and tourny ball since 94. ive seen teeth left on the field (more than one time), a hole blasted in a mans cheek (broken jaw, more teeth) another guy got hit in the eye. with his glasses on! had a circle of stich and staples.
With that said, the hottest bats at the time were those old school single wall tps. rember those?(they were blueish gray) most likely not. but at the time i dont think they even offered those in less then 30oz.( pre 97)
my point being there is a risk in everything we do in life.im sure you get in a car every day and drive around. should we all do 10 mph so nobody gets hurt? dont blame the bats or the balls.in every one of those cases there was one of two factors at hand. was either the guys age or his fundamentals.so if ya got a guy in your league that starts to not react to balls hit near him be a pal and hint to him it might be time to hang it up.or some kid whos starting to pitch and seems a bit off balanced, let him know" hey bud you need to work on that, gotta be ready"
times have changed and it seems people are getting a bit over protective . just my .02