Here's the situation:
~ runner on third with less than two outs
~ batter hits a line drive that hits the runner on
third while he is standing on the base
~ after hitting the runner on third; the ball rolled
into foul territory
Can you please provide the correct ruling including the following
1) runner on third status after being struck with the batted ball
2) batter status (is he out, does he hit again or is he awarded first base)
3) live ball or foul ball

Thank you so much for your time and expertise,
David Watson

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Assuming the ball was over fair territory when it struck the runner on 3rd base and there was no interference by the runner you would have this:

Runner is not out
Batter placed at 1st base
Runner remains at 3rd base

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
And just to clarify Deputy’s statement about interference, it has to be intentional. Merely being struck by the ball while on base is not, by itself, considered interference.

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
And just to clarify Deputy’s statement about interference, it has to be intentional. Merely being struck by the ball while on base is not, by itself, considered interference.

Assuming the ball was over fair territory when it struck the runner on 3rd base and there was no interference by the runner you would have this:

Runner is not out

Runner is not out

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does it make a difference if it has or hasn't passed the 3rd basemen yet?

Joe500

Starting Player

Runner is not out

Why is the batter placed on 1B? Fair ball is a fair ball assuming the ball hit the runner on 3B in fair territory... ball is alive and in play

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on the association and whether or not the ball has passed a fielder other than the pitcher. In USSSA, the ball is always live in this situation. The runner is treated as part of the base unless there is an act of interference. In USA/ASA the ball would be dead, Batter placed on 1B and all other runners advance only if forced. If it had passed the third baseman before contacting the runner (which I've never seen in adult play) the ball would be live.

What ruleset are you playing under?

Joker

Why is the batter placed on 1B? Fair ball is a fair ball assuming the ball hit the runner on 3B in fair territory... ball is alive and in play

the ball is not live if hasn't passed a fielder in USA/ASA

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
So let me run down the entire USA Softball scenario for a runner in contact with a base who is struck with a batted ball:

1. Determine fair or foul?
A. Foul - Dead ball strike on the batter
B. Fair - Go to 2
2. Did the runner intentionally interfere?
A. Interference - Dead ball runner is out; B/R to 1st (unless the interference prevented an obvious double play then the immediate trailing runner is also out)
B. No Interference - Go to 3
3. Where was the nearest defender located?
A. In front of the base - Live ball (The defender has already had a chance to field the ball)
B. Beyond the base - Dead ball (The defender has not had a chance to field the ball) Go to 4
4. Batter/Runner placed at 1st base. All runners forced by placing B/R at 1st base move up one base.

Last edited:

Joe500

Starting Player
Depends on the association and whether or not the ball has passed a fielder other than the pitcher. In USSSA, the ball is always live in this situation. The runner is treated as part of the base unless there is an act of interference. In USA/ASA the ball would be dead, Batter placed on 1B and all other runners advance only if forced. If it had passed the third baseman before contacting the runner (which I've never seen in adult play) the ball would be live.

What ruleset are you playing under?

I play USSSA. interesting rules for other rulesets though