ASA Batter catches the pitch

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA umpire called a batter out for catching a pitch. It was one of those inside pitches that the batter should just step out of the way of, but there's always some joker who has to catch it to be a tough guy.

My call, and what I believe to be the rule: if the pitch was a strike, or was going to be a strike, I call a strike. Zero times, by the way, since that never happens. If it is a ball, no call.

A search here said that in a league with stealing that's a dead ball out, so maybe that's what the guy was thinking. Either that, or just another bad umpire making things up I guess. Unless I'm missing some new ASA rule?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, that's one way to go...

No, it's not an out.

But it can be an out. If stealing is allowed and a runner leads off the base as the pitch reaches the front of the base. Why should the defense be deprived of the opportunity to retire that runner? IMO, if there is a potential play and the offense interferes, INT should be called.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Typical slow pitch with no stealing. Knew that was a BS call. Thanks all.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
But it can be an out. If stealing is allowed and a runner leads off the base as the pitch reaches the front of the base. Why should the defense be deprived of the opportunity to retire that runner? IMO, if there is a potential play and the offense interferes, INT should be called.

But if the guy can catch it, its probably really high and inside. Now if they steal then yes i agree. Def INT. If the batter is one of those guys that just stands there and will let the ball hit him, then its a dead ball for a ball/strike and they cant steal anyways.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I do it in BP all the time, I just dont want to catch someone by suprise if I miss it!!!

That's funny...that will be awesome if you did that in a game and stared the pitcher down the whole time like he tried to hit you with a fastball!