Any Batter hit by pitch that bounces in front of plate

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a question for fastpitch softball. If the pitch bounces in front of the plate and hits the batter, are they awarded first base? Does the rule differ depending on which association? Thought I knew but was finding some conflicting info when searching. Thanks

lb16

the natural
If not you hypothetically could have pitchers bounce balls off players anytime with no penalty except pitch being called a ball.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
batter gets 1st in all sanctions

But not all sanctions have the same HBP rule. Some require the contact to be in the BB, some do not. Some require the batter to attempt to avoid the hit, some do not. While one will allow the batter to stand in the box and take the hit, none will allow the batter to intentionally move to be hit

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
If not you hypothetically could have pitchers bounce balls off players anytime with no penalty except pitch being called a ball.

There is a league specific rule that says if the ball does bounces, the batter is not awarded first base. For this age group it probably makes since. The pitchers really struggle with control and are not throwing very hard at all. With the league rule it gives the pitcher and the batter more chances. I was confused at first when I was told it was a rule with out the info on it being league specific.