Batter's box

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Um, who pissed in your cheerios this morning?? wtf are you talking about? Nobody is making excuses for anything. smh.
Players will try to take every advantage, so it's the umps responsibility to establish the box, if there's a question. Isn't that the case?

Um, if lines are laid down, then isn't it pretty easy to tell if they're in or out of the box???

I've been hearing this **** for more than a quarter of a century, and it is old, real ****ing old. I'd rather there not be lines.

How many batters do you know that look down at the box while swinging at the ball? Most times that I've had this call it was because the batter hit with his/her eyes and not their head and would reach (and step) for an outside pitch. Or they get happy feet and step on or behind the plate.

blakcherry329

I've been hearing this **** for more than a quarter of a century, and it is old, real ****ing old. I'd rather there not be lines.

How many batters do you know that look down at the box while swinging at the ball? Most times that I've had this call it was because the batter hit with his/her eyes and not their head and would reach (and step) for an outside pitch. Or they get happy feet and step on or behind the plate.
Maybe it's old because nobody corrects it? ijs...
Why would a batter look down when they swing? My issue isn't where they end up. However, when they step to the plate, that's the issue, imo. I don't care where they step while swinging. Batters standing 5 feet away from the plate, because there's no lines, that's the problem. I'll ask the ump if he's in the box, and 9 times out of 10 the ump will say "He's good". I just ask as a goof because I already know the answer. I will say that the few times that an ump has told the batter to move closer, they were pissed. lol

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Why would a batter look down when they swing? My issue isn't where they end up. However, when they step to the plate, that's the issue, imo. I don't care where they step while swinging. Batters standing 5 feet away from the plate, because there's no lines, that's the problem. I'll ask the ump if he's in the box, and 9 times out of 10 the ump will say "He's good". I just ask as a goof because I already know the answer. I will say that the few times that an ump has told the batter to move closer, they were pissed. lol

No kidding! Guys, you've got 21 square feet of real estate in which to start. You can't tell me you need much more than that.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would a batter look down when they swing? My issue isn't where they end up.

Then you have no argument since how and when the batter got there determines the possible call.

However, when they step to the plate, that's the issue, imo. I don't care where they step while swinging. Batters standing 5 feet away from the plate, because there's no lines, that's the problem. I'll ask the ump if he's in the box, and 9 times out of 10 the ump will say "He's good". I just ask as a goof because I already know the answer. I will say that the few times that an ump has told the batter to move closer, they were pissed. lol

I, and any decent umpire does not need someone to point it out. S/he will not allow a pitch until the batter gets inside the box and will direct the batter to do so. And if the batter is pissed, shame on him/her for not knowing where to stand. It isn't a secret and many if not most have been dealing with this since they were 8 yo.

blakcherry329

I guess there aren't too many decent umps out there..
So what you're saying is the Batter can start as far away from the plate as they want as long as they end up in the box when they make contact? Hmmmmm, ok. smh

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess there aren't too many decent umps out there..
So what you're saying is the Batter can start as far away from the plate as they want as long as they end up in the box when they make contact? Hmmmmm, ok. smh

I made no such statement or insinuation. A pitch cannot be thrown until the batter is positioned completely within the confines of the batter's box

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
The biggest issue we face, is a box not being drawn. Please understand that it is still there, even if there is no chalk to define it visually for the players. Enforcing it requires solid game management skills. Just keep that hand up until you are satisfied that the batter is in the box before you permit the pitch to be thrown. If the batter questions you, simply let them know the box is 3 feed wide, 7 feet long, and 6 inches off the plate. Once they realize that you are on top of things, most will comply without much resitance. Of course you are going to get the occasional "you can't call a box that is not drawn" comment. Just handle your business and play ball! I asked a player once if he mowed his own yard. He said yes. I asked if he mowed the neighbor's yard too. He said no. I aksed him if there was a line drawn to show him where to stop mowing between the two yards? He just smiled. I then told him to get in my yard, and we can play ball.

I'm not going to conduct a rules clinic during a game. I will not explain the size of the batter's box nor will I tell them the rules governing the batter's box. If the batter is not in the box (drawn or not) I'll ask him to step up or otherwise get in the box. If he doesn't do so in the prescribed time I begin calling strikes...its that simple.

blakcherry329

Then you have no argument since how and when the batter got there determines the possible call./QUOTE]
I said my issue isn't where they end up, it's where the batter starts. You responded with that statement above.
So what, exactly, does that mean?

If there's no box drawn, you have to establish the boundaries, if someone questions it, don't you? Shouldn't that be part of the job description? If you ask the batter to step up, don't you have to give him something to step up to? It's not about holding a clinic, just give the batter something that he can't cross. No biggie. I guess that's why most umps just say He's good and keep it moving.

I'm sensing a lot of defensiveness. Sounds like some of you are umps that don't allow any kind of communication/clarification about calls.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Then you have no argument since how and when the batter got there determines the possible call.
I said my issue isn't where they end up, it's where the batter starts. You responded with that statement above.
So what, exactly, does that mean?

The above response was to your comment
Why would a batter look down when they swing? My issue isn't where they end up.

The issue must involve where the batter ends up because that woul e the only issue involving the batter after the pitch is released

If there's no box drawn, you have to establish the boundaries, if someone questions it, don't you? Shouldn't that be part of the job description? If you ask the batter to step up, don't you have to give him something to step up to? It's not about holding a clinic, just give the batter something that he can't cross. No biggie. I guess that's why most umps just say He's good and keep it moving.

Until you can get it out of your mind that lines on the ground are irrelevant to the existence of a batter's box, you will never understand the rules involved. The batter has the plate as a focal point and by the age of 8 should be able to recognize the location of the box. If not, the umpire will hold up the pitcher until the batter gets in the box. However, if the batter isn't smart enough (and apparently that is not as far fetched as I once believed it was), the 10 second rule is still in effect and i the batter does not adjust in time, is liable to be awarded a strike for delaying the game

I'm sensing a lot of defensiveness. Sounds like some of you are umps that don't allow any kind of communication/clarification about calls.

You don't want an umpire, you want a ****ing nanny and that is NOT any umpire's job. Here is a thought, learn the game you are playing or find a game to which you can adapt.

I'm done, CUL

blakcherry329

Um, ok. So lines don't matter? Well that explains it. I'm used to batter's standing way away from the plate anyway. Like I said, it's a running joke to me now. I never mad about it. I ask if the batter is in the box, 99% of the time, I get "He's good", I chuckle and move on. I don't ask all game or on multiple batters(usually it's only a couple that do it, anyway). It's more about getting in the batter's head. No biggie.

Yep, we are done. Not sure why you are so cranky. I didn't want a crabby Mrs. Doubtfire or a "Get off my Lawn" guy, I just needed a little clarification from an ump. No problem.

RNRPLZ

Question to all. Without any search engines, if there is a hatters box chalkedot painted. It's 4 inches wide. Where lies the 42 inches (from plate) edge of the 4 inch line? To the inside or to the outside? If to the inside it is giving batters even more room. I've seen and umpired games with chalked lines and as long as batters foot don't leave the line they are technically still in the box?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
42 inches? What're you talking about?

The lines are part of the box. The outer edges of the lines will form the box. It's 6" off the plate, 3' wide, and 7' long.

Prior to the pitch they must start with both feet in the box, and no part of their foot may touch the ground outside the box.

When they make contact with the ball, their feet can't be completely outside of the box and on the ground, nor can their foot be touching any part of home plate.

They can't exit the box, then return to the box to hit the ball.

That's it. It's not rocket science.

Let's go, batter. In the box, please.

LIKEUCM

th

thaynes

The FAQ on batters boxes.

Your feet must be completely inside the batters box when the pitcher delivers the ball.

Part of each of your feet must be inside the batters box when you hit the ball.

If no batters box is drawn, the umpire's judgement of where the box is will determine where the box is. If there are no lines, and he says you are out of the box, stop arguing, be nice, and get closer. There is no such thing as "there is no box drawn, so how can I be out of it?". If blue says you are outside the box, you are outside the box.
It annoys me to no end when I hear umps say "there's no box so he can't be out of it." When dude is half way to the pitchers mound. Heard that numerous times

RNRPLZ

I
Huh? The batters feet may not be on the plate. I dont know why you would add the width of the plate to the size of the batter's box.

Honestly, you bring a ton of confusion and misinformation to the "Ask the Umpire" section on a pretty consistent basis. This may be a forum for you to read and learn, and not one for you to be posting in as an expert. There is no shame in that though. I feel that I am in this category also. I am mostly a learner here, not a teacher.
I think what jabnblue was meaning batters stand way off almost flirting with batter not being in the box. But if a batter stands off a good ways, I’ve seen 1000s of balls drilled up the middle. Point being adding the plate (in the length of the batters arms and bat) there is plenty of room.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
People wonder why there is a shortage of officials........ this thread could be example 1.

RNRPLZ

42 inches? What're you talking about?

The lines are part of the box. The outer edges of the lines will form the box. It's 6" off the plate, 3' wide, and 7' long.

Prior to the pitch they must start with both feet in the box, and no part of their foot may touch the ground outside the box.

When they make contact with the ball, their feet can't be completely outside of the box and on the ground, nor can their foot be touching any part of home plate.

You obviously missed the comment. IF a batters box IS chalked the width of the lines technically gives them more area in which to stand. as long as their feet are inside the chalk correct? There are tournaments where the boxes are laid out. so, do feet stay inside or ON the lines. I totally agree with all you say and I follow the same process. if I think you are too far I will ask you to step in some. Believe it or not there are places that DO chalk lines. Usually as long as the feet are not over the chalk then they are still within the boundaries of the box. being 42 square feet is a grey area if this is considered.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
You obviously missed the comment. IF a batters box IS chalked the width of the lines technically gives them more area in which to stand. as long as their feet are inside the chalk correct? There are tournaments where the boxes are laid out. so, do feet stay inside or ON the lines. I totally agree with all you say and I follow the same process. if I think you are too far I will ask you to step in some. Believe it or not there are places that DO chalk lines. Usually as long as the feet are not over the chalk then they are still within the boundaries of the box. being 42 square feet is a grey area if this is considered.

No. The outside dimensions are 3x7. The chalked lines are within those dimensions.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
People wonder why there is a shortage of officials........ this thread could be example 1.
People wonder why there is a shortage of pitchers. Same logic applies. Even without factoring in dudes trying to hit me, they get 21 square feet to move around in and I have to hit basically a three square foot strike zone underhanded with arc restrictions.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is the part I don't like. When guys are halfway to the mound the umps response around here is I be sure his foot was completely out. I think he would've been on the line. Just changing that to completely inside the box would change slowpitch dramatically if called correctly. Assuming a size ten shoe that's a huge reduction in area.

blakcherry329

That's why I hate ASA. Too much time to run around in the box. Before I hear about the same arc stuff...most umps around these parts still call a high arc strike.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

The lines are inside the box, not outside. Prior to the pitch, the batter's feet can be on the chalk, but no part of their foot can be contacting the ground outside of the chalked area.

blakcherry329

If there are lines drawn, there's never an issue. Unfortunately, lined batter's boxes are few and far between around these parts.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The lines are inside the box, not outside. Prior to the pitch, the batter's feet can be on the chalk, but no part of their foot can be contacting the ground outside of the chalked area.
Then why are they allowed outside it after the pitch/ during contact? If the foot wasn't allowed to touch the ground outside the box on contact, that'd shrink the box considerably if it's called.

Or, conversely, at least call the strike zone this way. If I nick any part of the strike zone it's a strike.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Then why are they allowed outside it after the pitch/ during contact? If the foot wasn't allowed to touch the ground outside the box on contact, that'd shrink the box considerably if it's called.

The foot is allowed to touch the ground outside the BB on contact, just that some part of the foot must be in the box which is the same as on the line. That expands the box approximate 8-12" in each direction

The box is already bigger than it once was (3x5), so I don't really see the problem

Or, conversely, at least call the strike zone this way. If I nick any part of the strike zone it's a strike.

It is.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The foot is allowed to touch the ground outside the BB on contact, just that some part of the foot must be in the box which is the same as on the line. That expands the box approximate 8-12" in each direction

The box is already bigger than it once was (3x5), so I don't really see the problem

It is.
I want the box smaller, and nobody I've ever seen calls it like that.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I want the box smaller, and nobody I've ever seen calls it like that.

Well, that isn't going to happen and the batter is going to get the benefit of any out simply because watching the pitch is the priority, not the batter's feet.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You were saying you didn't see the problem like I wanted a bigger box. I was just clarifying my position.

I don't expect it to be a priority, but I think it should be an easy call when the batter is out of the box in any way. I'm a realist. I only expect it to be called when it's horrible and obvious to everyone.