Batter's Box

Wayne 33

Banned User
7.3 • BATTING POSITION A. The batter must have at least some portion of both feet on or inside the lines of the batter's box at the start of the pitch. A batter who steps out of the batter’s box at any time during the pitch and then hits the ball, fair or foul, shall be called out. Steps out means touching the ground completely outside of the lines of the batter’s box.

This is a rule from SSUSA. My question is where does says the batter can have some part of their foot touching the ground outside of the box at the start of a pitch? The wording of the first sentence is almost verbatim to any baseball association I've ever worked and the ruling has the the whole of both foot has to be touching or inside the line to be considered inside the batter's box. It cannot be touching any area outside of the lines.

Just asking for a friend...……..lol

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
7.3 • BATTING POSITION A. The batter must have at least some portion of both feet on or inside the lines of the batter's box at the start of the pitch. A batter who steps out of the batter’s box at any time during the pitch and then hits the ball, fair or foul, shall be called out. Steps out means touching the ground completely outside of the lines of the batter’s box.

This is a rule from SSUSA. My question is where does says the batter can have some part of their foot touching the ground outside of the box at the start of a pitch? The wording of the first sentence is almost verbatim to any baseball association I've ever worked and the ruling has the the whole of both foot has to be touching or inside the line to be considered inside the batter's box. It cannot be touching any area outside of the lines.

Don't know if SSUSA is different, but USA requirement for "being in the box" is both feet being inside or on the chalk. If any part of either foot is touching the ground outside the lines prior to the pitch. Also, is forbidden from being out of the box then returning to hit the ball

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Starting out with both feet completely inside the box is universal to all baseball and softball rule sets...except, apparently, for SSUSA, whatever that is. Seems that they’ve written their own rule to cover this.

Wayne 33

Banned User
Starting out with both feet completely inside the box is universal to all baseball and softball rule sets...except, apparently, for SSUSA, whatever that is. Seems that they’ve written their own rule to cover this.

I think their big problem is they try to write some rules in their own language so as not to plagiarize or violate copyright laws and their wording just takes on a new meaning on what the rule was intended for in the first place. They then throw tiny temper tantrums when you explain yourself. Weird bunch of rules over there. They even have a definition for a foul tip that makes the ball immediately dead.

ureout

The Veteran
wayne... here you go again hoping to find someone to agree with your interpretation of a rule so you try another umpire forum... you were already told by several umpires on the SSUSA (senior softball) rules forum that you were WRONG.... let it go ... and do you actually have a friend??

below is the definition and rule for the batter being in the box.. as you can see the batter only needs to have some part of both feet touching the line of the box.. it is different from ASA/USA which states the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box

1.5 • BATTER'S BOX
The batter's box is the 3-foot by 7-foot area to which the batter is restricted. The
lines are considered as being within the batter's box. At least some portion of
both feet of the batter must be on the line or within the batter’s box. (See §7.3)

7.3 • BATTING POSITION
A. The batter must have at least some portion of both feet on or inside the
lines of the batter's box at the start of the pitch.
A batter who steps out of
the batter’s box at any time during the pitch and then hits the ball, fair or
foul, shall be called out. Steps out means touching the ground completely
outside of the lines of the batter’s box. (See §1.5)

Wayne 33

Banned User
wayne... here you go again hoping to find someone to agree with your interpretation of a rule so you try another umpire forum... you were already told by several umpires on the SSUSA (senior softball) rules forum that you were WRONG.... let it go ... and do you actually have a friend??

below is the definition and rule for the batter being in the box.. as you can see the batter only needs to have some part of both feet touching the line of the box.. it is different from ASA/USA which states the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box

1.5 • BATTER'S BOX
The batter's box is the 3-foot by 7-foot area to which the batter is restricted. The
lines are considered as being within the batter's box. At least some portion of
both feet of the batter must be on the line or within the batter’s box. (See §7.3)

7.3 • BATTING POSITION
lines of the batter's box at the start of the pitch.
A batter who steps out of
the batter’s box at any time during the pitch and then hits the ball, fair or
foul, shall be called out. Steps out means touching the ground completely
outside of the lines of the batter’s box. (See §1.5)

Dear ureout of ure mind,

It is very obvious that you and the SSUSA rules committee don't really have a clue as to what are universally enforced rules. Like I said earlier, they take a rule as it was originally written and try to make it into their own. Unfortunately, the author of the rule doesn't realize they're taken the context of the rule's original intention of enforcement to a different level in their translation.. Again, show me where it says that any of part of both feet can be touching the ground out of the drawn lines.

When they talk of travesty of the game, your rules knowledge is an excellent example. I'm not the one defending their position that coach's interference isn't interference as it is a delayed ball. Hence the word interference

Literally, ureajoke. is what it all boils down to. Too bad your master isn't here to defend you as you're a more of a lap dog than an umpire.

ureout

The Veteran
wayne... look at that it didn't take people to long on this site to also figure out that you are an a** h****

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans

Back in school, you failed reading comprehension, didn't you?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I'll play your silly reindeer game. I should know better. So this rule has been in effect for years and because you don't like the rule or are used to some other rule set, you have gathered that they mistyped the rule and meant it to be something else? This can't be real.

It says you can have any part of your foot outside the lines where it says that ONLY PART of the foot has to be in the box. That means the rest of the foot can be outside the box. If you weren't allowed to have any of the foot outside it would be worded like USA softball's rule.

SSUSA does some things different than the major organizations. You can start on the white bag at first base in USA once you've reached the bag. In SSUSA you have to be on the orange bag (at least some part of the foot, uh oh, here we go again). The height limit is different, the strike zone is a plate and mat, neither USSSA or USA officially use a mat, except for Seniors.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Unfortunately, the author of the rule doesn't realize they're aken the context of the rule's original intention of enforcement to a different level in their translation.
The rule is explicitly stated, and seems quite intentional (unless the author shares your skills in reading comprehension.) You are dead wrong. Give it up.

Again, show me where it says that any of part of both feet can be touching the ground out of the drawn lines.
A rule need to clearly state either what is permissible or what is not permissible. It does not need to state both (for reasons that are obvious to every other person on here)

Wayne 33

Banned User
The rule is explicitly stated, and seems quite intentional (unless the author shares your skills in reading comprehension.) You are dead wrong. Give it up.

A rule need to clearly state either what is permissible or what is not permissible. It does not need to state both (for reasons that are obvious to every other person on here)

On or inside doesn't mean outside. God, where does this place find people like you?

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
On or inside doesn't mean outside. God, where does this place find people like you?
On or inside means on or inside.
shawshank-2.gif

Wayne 33

Banned User
only if the batter has both feet completely out of the box and is batting cross handed

^^^^^Warning. This guy would send a runner back to first base if the baserunner was obstructed going to second base because he didn't think the runner would have made it to second. The mope doesn't know second is the award base to which the runner is entitled after the end of playing action. Case closed.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^^^Warning. This guy would send a runner back to first base if the baserunner was obstructed going to second base because he didn't think the runner would have made it to second. The mope doesn't know second is the award base to which the runner is entitled after the end of playing action. Case closed.
Ok, this guy's a troll for sure. Move along people

AG# 1

there are no automatic awards for obs unless it's the b/r going to 1st base, if a runner is obs. between bases it is the judgement of the umpire as to where the runner is placed, the reward does not always have to be forward he can also be placed at the last base he safely touched if in his judgement he would not have been safe advancing to the next base

Wayne 33

Banned User
there are no automatic awards for obs unless it's the b/r going to 1st base, if a runner is obs. between bases it is the judgement of the umpire as to where the runner is placed, the reward does not always have to be forward he can also be placed at the last base he safely touched if in his judgement he would not have been safe advancing to the next base

This applies to rundowns if the runner was retreating back to the last base they legally touched.

Wayne 33

Banned User
On or inside means on or inside.
shawshank-2.gif

Do it say the batter is permissable to have any portion of the feet touching outside the lines
I'll play your silly reindeer game. I should know better. So this rule has been in effect for years and because you don't like the rule or are used to some other rule set, you have gathered that they mistyped the rule and meant it to be something else? This can't be real.

It says you can have any part of your foot outside the lines where it says that ONLY PART of the foot has to be in the box. That means the rest of the foot can be outside the box. If you weren't allowed to have any of the foot outside it would be worded like USA softball's rule.

SSUSA does some things different than the major organizations. You can start on the white bag at first base in USA once you've reached the bag. In SSUSA you have to be on the orange bag (at least some part of the foot, uh oh, here we go again). The height limit is different, the strike zone is a plate and mat, neither USSSA or USA officially use a mat, except for Seniors.

No. the rule says:

7.3 • BATTING POSITION

lines of the batter's box at the start of the pitch. Where does it specifically mention any part of the batter's feet can be touching outside of the lines of the batter's box? You merely assume that it does? Why would it have be worded like the USA softball's rule? Just another assumption on your part.

Believe me, I've been around the game of baseball and softball long enough to know the nuances of a poorly written rule of which I've found a few in the SSUSA rulebook. Is it your theory that they go against the grain of many common rules so as to be unique? You might actually learn something if you weren't so vain and pompous.

Wayne 33

Banned User

How far up your butt did you go to pull that one out? Stop making stuff up Sir Troll-A-Lot

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
You see, where they wrote "at least some portion"? That is a very clear and deliberate wording, which means they don't give a flying **** where the rest of the feet are. If they meant to have ALL of both feet in the box, it would say "all". It would not say "some portion".

If you truly can't understand this, then you might be too stupid to exist, giving credence to the simulation hypothesis.

ureout

The Veteran
Do it say the batter is permissable to have any portion of the feet touching outside the lines..

wayne .. ^^^^^^ you need to take remedial English / writing / and spelling classes or stop the boozing before posting

wayne, don't stop now I think you are winning everybody over

Wayne 33

Banned User
Do it say the batter is permissable to have any portion of the feet touching outside the lines..

wayne .. ^^^^^^ you need to take remedial English / writing / and spelling classes or stop the boozing before posting

wayne, don't stop now I think you are winning everybody over

Typical lap dog response. Good to see they let you off your leash on occasion.

blakcherry329

Maybe if you give the context of what you're disputing, i.e. what was the call against you and what was the scenario that preceded said call?

Wayne 33

Banned User
Maybe if you give the context of what you're disputing, i.e. what was the call against you and what was the scenario that preceded said call?

Here's the deal. I'm talking about the rule in my first post about where the batter's feet can be to be considered in the batter's box. The SSUSA rule is rather vague. All I I'm saying is that no part of either foot can be touching outside the lines. They can be on the line, but not outside the line or in the box.

Every association's rules more than likely agree with what I'm saying. However, theirs is written so that some imply you can be on the line with some part of the foot touching outside the line. This more of a common sense thing of which it appears to be little of.

Here is the SSUSA version.

jonsey

you and wayne need reading comprehension 101,

where does it say NOT OVER THE LINE in the rule . it says The batter must have at least SOME PORTION OF BOTH FEET "ON" or inside the lines of the batter's box at the start of the pitch. this means all he needs is his toe's touching the outside of the line