Batting glove under fielding glove

CTGlove

Do you wear a batting glove under your fielding glove?

I have read that sweat from your hand will erode the leather (inside of the glove). Any truth behind this?

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
It depends.

Some gloves will deteriorate on the inside from repeated exposure to sweat and other moisture; that's probably more common with cheaper, lower-quality gloves. It could probably be mitigated with some proper care and maintenance--your typical leather care products (everyone has their favorite stuff).

I don't wear a batting glove under my mitt, and the Nokona that's been my gamer for 12 years now looks great on the inside. And I'm usually putting on the glove cream stuff once or twice a year.

blakcherry329

Do you wear a batting glove under your fielding glove?

I have read that sweat from your hand will erode the leather (inside of the glove). Any truth behind this?
Only if you have sweaty hands.
Also, you need to condition your gloves in the off season, like A-R said.
Having said that, I always wear my batting glove. Just a comfort thing. My hands don't sweat.

Last edited:

CTGlove

It depends.

Some gloves will deteriorate on the inside from repeated exposure to sweat and other moisture; that's probably more common with cheaper, lower-quality gloves. It could probably be mitigated with some proper care and maintenance--your typical leather care products (everyone has their favorite stuff).

I don't wear a batting glove under my mitt, and the Nokona that's been my gamer for 12 years now looks great on the inside. And I'm usually putting on the glove cream stuff once or twice a year.
Thanks. What glove cream do you use? Do you condition the inside?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I started wearing my batting glove under my mitt when the mitt started to break down and there wasn't much padding left. Then I got a palm guard. Then I got used to the palm guard. Now I can't wear a mitt without a plam guard or batting glove, it just feels weird. I use mink oil to condition my mitts.

blakcherry329

I took a flyer on this stuff for my AZGloveman glove.
Not bad. A little pricey, but it definitely does a good job of conditioning and softening the leather.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Thanks. What glove cream do you use? Do you condition the inside?
I lean more toward the Nokona glove conditioner (white tube, should be easily google-able)--it looks and feels a lot like vaseline to me. Some of the real glove dudes are into lanolin and lanolin-based stuff.

I probably don't condition the inside as frequently as I should, but that hasn't been a problem for my Nokona. My hands don't sweat too bad either, so I'm probably not as hard on my glove as some guys are on theirs.

Kozy24

I wear one under my nokona. it makes the fit a bit tighter.

usually no issues. the knob of the bat is usually the gloves first wear point.

but a tournament would usually finish the pair I had going. just getting it wet from either heat, rain or early morning or night game dew would wreck them.