Batting Gloves

breakdown221

Hey all. I am thinking of splurging and buying a pair of Bruce Bolt batting gloves.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the long cuff batting gloves?

What is better for slow pitch softball?

duffman99

I don't think that the long cuff or short cuff has any bearing on performance from my experience as well as teammates that wear them. It's just person preference on feel. The long cuff might support the wrist a little more, kind of like using athletic tape to wrap your wrist to a certain extent but that's about it. In the later summer months, mine do get a little warm compared to a short cuff, but it's not a deal breaker or anything just something to think about. Hope that helps

Protectyaneck

They're good. But they're not worth the price. Couple games a week with BP on Saturdays, a hole developed relatively quickly.

Long cuff is mainly cosmetic.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, go with custom Franklins.

lorichie56

I've been using the same pair for about 3 years now. I BP a lot and they are still doing great. For me they've definitely been worth the price. Typically id go through 2-3 pairs a year of other brands. I prefer the short cuff.

blakcherry329

LOL. Just because BAT is in the name batting gloves doesn't mean they have to cost as much as a BAT. SMH
There's no good reason to pay that much for batting gloves, imo.

My hands don't sweat so I'm pretty easy on gloves, so I don't need the best.

basilray

I had a pair of Spiderz at 1/2 the cost of the Bruce Bolts that lasted almost two full years. Did they have a definite "softball douche" look? Absolutely. Did they hold up pretty well? Also yes.

Right now, I have a pair of Anarchy gloves that I used for a tournament last fall, through a handful of winter BP sessions indoors, and about 2mo of 2x/week play, and they're holding up very well. They also seem not to get so sweaty/gross compared to other gloves I've owned.

ELSoftballClub

Addicted to Softballfans
I have both long cuff Bruce Bolts and long cuff Marucci Blacksmiths. I wear long cuff just for feel. It doesn't affect performance. But the Marucci have held up better than the Bolts. I have 130+ games with the Marucci (and significant BP) with no tears or fraying. The Bolts have small fraying and other minor issues going on at 80+ games.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Spiderz pro for games, thinner feel, and I use the gs sports for bp, thicker with a palm pad/ double layer patch for knob area for durability, I’m at 3 months for both, I had a pair of lumberjack sports out of Canada, durability was 3 years of use, games and bp, 1000’s of swings, no holes in the palms, built like a cricket glove, the Velcro stopped sticking and the breathable back ripped were my only issues, just limited sizes and color ways when I looked early in the year

Last edited:

dunno

Ansell, Tillman and others offer a knit seamless coated work glove abrasion level 4 .
personal preference is 15 guage but 18 is even more tactile unless you want the thicker 13's.
no points for style these are certainly affordable industrial work wear that imo fit better washable and last as long as any designated batting glove ymmv

Last edited:

basilray

I use the Palmguard STS batting gloves. They’re extremely durable and comfortable for extended BP sessions. They were exclusively BP gloves and now I use them for games.

I’ve been wearing the same pair for almost six years now.
Six years out of ~$30 batting gloves is insane!

blakcherry329

I use the Palmguard STS batting gloves. They’re extremely durable and comfortable for extended BP sessions. They were exclusively BP gloves and now I use them for games.

I’ve been wearing the same pair for almost six years now.
I have a couple gloves in my bag that are a few years old. When your hands don't sweat, the gloves last forever.
Having said that, 6 years of continuous use is crazy, indeed.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I've liked Spiderz gloves. Grip is good and long lasting. Also, I've used Mechanix brand gloves, and those were a damn good fit and gripped well. The problem with them was that the back of the gloves were a stretchy material and felt like they twisted a bit.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Go to ****ing WalMart and get some Mechanics Gloves...................... The real ones, not the knock off ones. Those damn things will go 2,000 swings of bp and every game you play for an entire season. They're reinforced in the perfect areas for softball. They're for holding tools, shovels and rakes while you work, so they're perfect for ball.

trippy1313

Starting Player
Can I add a side question, or should I start my own thread?

Curious what benefits you guys notice using gloves?

I've never used them. Tried once but didn't notice anything special to me, but maybe I didn't use them enough. I don't really have a grip problem.

Why do you guys used them, and do you use one or both hands with gloves?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Can I add a side question, or should I start my own thread?

Curious what benefits you guys notice using gloves?

I've never used them. Tried once but didn't notice anything special to me, but maybe I didn't use them enough. I don't really have a grip problem.

Why do you guys used them, and do you use one or both hands with gloves?
I use them bc I used to hit a ton of bp and the gloves prevent blisters and tearing up the thumb on my bottom hand. Then I got used to swinging with gloves on so I stuck with it.

Also, you get a consistent grip with gloves where as bare handed you might be sweaty, or your hand might have a fine layer of dirt from diving in the IF, or your idiot teammate wanted to swing your bat and hosed down his hands with 3m spray...

blakcherry329

Yep, same here. I will get a bruise/blister on my left palm, down by the wrist, if I don't wear a batting glove. I don't ever use 2 unless it's really, really cold. I give my right gloves to lefties that want/need a glove. Unfortunately, you can't buy just one glove, like the good ole days.
My Clincher leagues LOVE 3m Spray or the pine tar stick, unfortunately. smh