Batting tip...for a 70-yr old?

jargey3000

I play in a 40+ slow pitch league. RH batter. Still make good contact, get my share of base hits, the odd double. no more home runs...But I still hit most everything to the left side of the field.
I'd like to hit a few more up the middle, or to the right of second. When I do try to "place" the hits there, more often than not I'm not too effective.
Can I get a few simple tips or suggestions how to maybe get more consistent "up the middle".
Thanks in advance.

blakcherry329

• stand away from the plate a bit
  • Wait on the pitch a little longer
  • keep your left shoulder "closed" don't fly open.
  • Tony Gwynn said he would "throw the knob of the bat at the pitch" and snap the barrel through the ball. (He was really talking about hitting the other way, but it's the same principle)

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
1) Along with standing away from the plate, stand up in the box. put your back foot just in front of home plate.
2) Wait til the ball is past you. Stride towards the 3-4 hole. Hit the ball with the bat perpendicular to right field
3) I look for a ball that will be upper thigh to shoulder high and middle to outside.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Think of where you are making contact on those pull side hits, its out in front and your swing path is going around the ball. Usually the bat head is out in front of your hands very early in the swing. When people say wait on the ball they are in-fact saying dont hit the ball out in front, let it get deeper in the strike zone and stay inside the ball with your swing path, keeping your hands ahead of the bat head longer delaying the snap. Can you visualize this?