Best BP ball

lukeamdman

You should make the 52+ and Rocket available in all yellow but keep the more durable cover instead of leather.

Maybe it's just me, but after hitting a few hundred 52+ each week, seeing the all yellow game ball looks a little weird now...in a game when it actually matters :)

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Luke, the reason behind my 2 color cover was for hitters to be able to closely monitor how they hit the ball by seeing the spin easily.
Appreciate your loyalty to the brand but I cant see changing to a 1 color cover in the near future.

Kodiak use BP17 for a discount code

lukeamdman

Luke, the reason behind my 2 color cover was for hitters to be able to closely monitor how they hit the ball by seeing the spin easily.
Appreciate your loyalty to the brand but I cant see changing to a 1 color cover in the near future.

Kodiak use BP17 for a discount code

I definitely like the 2 color covers just for that reason, but if that's all I hit in practice it can throw me off a little by only seeing the all yellow balls in games.

To address that I threw a couple dozen of your .52/300 ASA game balls into the BP buckets, but those don't hold up as well to weekly BP (I don't think they're designed for that anyway).

Just a thought as I'm really impressed with the durability of the 52+ and Rockets (I haven't broke a single one yet in almost a year of using them). I did manage to destroy one of the stadiums with a end-cap shot.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Thanks Luke I really do appreciate your feedback. One of the reason Evil has done so well over the past 14 years is the quality of our core material. Thats where the durability of our brand stems from. Its very rare to see an Evil ball with less than 600 hits on it have a core failure, in fact it virtually never happens. Think about that, more than 600, 100 mph impacts. Not many things are designed to withstand that type of abuse. As stated endcap shots can be the death blow.

bndawgs

President-Elect
honest question here, and maybe it's been answered somewhere during the past 2/3 yrs where i haven't paid attention to much on here. but what is the actual purpose of these bp balls?

i've hit a couple and they seem to fly further and also feel harder than the old 44/375s. if they're made to break in bats, then how can they be safe for composites?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're a slightly higher Cor so they perform without being as hard on bats. I think they also highlight how some associations have actually gone the wrong way in making the game safer.

bndawgs

President-Elect
They're a slightly higher Cor so they perform without being as hard on bats. I think they also highlight how some associations have actually gone the wrong way in making the game safer.
but in that regard, they don't mimic the play of actual game balls. to me, these are more for bp hr derby.

lukeamdman

but in that regard, they don't mimic the play of actual game balls. to me, these are more for bp hr derby.

I use the Rockets to break in new bats, and the 52+ for BP. Unless it's above 85 degrees, the 52+ doesn't fly as far as the .40/325 Classic M.

bndawgs

President-Elect
I use the Rockets to break in new bats, and the 52+ for BP. Unless it's above 85 degrees, the 52+ doesn't fly as far as the .40/325 Classic M.
how can they be safe for composites, but still break them in? isn't that a contradiction?

lukeamdman

how can they be safe for composites, but still break them in? isn't that a contradiction?

If all you hit in BP is Rockets I think you'll eventually break your composite bat, but it's going to take a while. I've hit hundreds with a DC-41, Freak Black, Helmer Flex, etc.

A .40/325 Classic M is going to break the bat MUCH faster.

I don't think you'd ever break a bat with the 52+ no matter how much you hit with it.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
You are right, you have missed a bunch since you have been gone. Didnt get any smarter either lol. So I did a test using the Backman Shoppe major team a couple seasons ago. I got the permission of Dennis Turner of Louisville Slugger to have the major team use the Evil BP rocket as the exclusive ball for the team BP for the entire season. This was only accomplished through the efforts of Robo, Robert Blackburn. He was able to bring 6 dozen Rockets to every weekend event for the season and thats the only ball they hit for BP. After the season I got with Dennis Turner and he expressed to me bat breakage was down close to 80% from the previous year. This was the best case study for a ball that can be hit by the hardest hitters in the world and still not blow up bats.

Sweetnlow

I recently purchased a dozen nx3 spinners just to compare to the rockets I've been hitting since February. In my opinion the rocket is better hands down. The spinner moves to much no matter what hit type put on it. The rockets fly more true to our game balls. The evil BPs can be hosed off and used again the next day as well. Thanks evil for a great ball. Only BP ball I will ever purchase.

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
I've heard argument both ways and would like some actual facts from you Bobby, if you don't mind. In this thread and others, I read its a lower COR softball that will break a bat in faster but have also read that Stadium balls, which have a higher COR if I'm not mistaken, will break a bat in fast. Evil Long Haul Bomber balls have high COR and COMP and players say those will break in/destroy a bat quickly. Rather than listen to players who may or may not know the science behind it, can you tell me which is correct? Is it the COR, COMP or combination that breaks in or is harmful to composite bats?

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Both sides of the equation have an impact. Also temps play a big part in it as well. A lower C0R ball is inherently going to stay in contact with the bat surface longer allowing more energy load and potentially more microfracturing of the composite. By raising the C0R you can bump up compression and not have the significant bat damage you would have with a lower C0R ball of the same compression.
Think of C0R as the bounce rate or flex of the material and compression as the hardness. Higher bounce rate, the hardness can be equalized somewhat, or allot more than people think when they see the #s. Also Higher C0R rated cores will change less in the heat and cold compared to lower rated C0R materials. Ultimate Evils are no worse on your bat than a classic M in temps above 75 degrees.
Hope this helps as Im an Entomologist not a material science engineer and have never claimed to be one.

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
If a major team can hit bp rockets and not blow up their bats, I think us mortals are gonna be just fine.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are right, you have missed a bunch since you have been gone. Didnt get any smarter either lol. So I did a test using the Backman Shoppe major team a couple seasons ago. I got the permission of Dennis Turner of Louisville Slugger to have the major team use the Evil BP rocket as the exclusive ball for the team BP for the entire season. This was only accomplished through the efforts of Robo, Robert Blackburn. He was able to bring 6 dozen Rockets to every weekend event for the season and thats the only ball they hit for BP. After the season I got with Dennis Turner and he expressed to me bat breakage was down close to 80% from the previous year. This was the best case study for a ball that can be hit by the hardest hitters in the world and still not blow up bats.
What were they hitting before? Classic ms?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both sides of the equation have an impact. Also temps play a big part in it as well. A lower C0R ball is inherently going to stay in contact with the bat surface longer allowing more energy load and potentially more microfracturing of the composite. By raising the C0R you can bump up compression and not have the significant bat damage you would have with a lower C0R ball of the same compression.
Think of C0R as the bounce rate or flex of the material and compression as the hardness. Higher bounce rate, the hardness can be equalized somewhat, or allot more than people think when they see the #s. Also Higher C0R rated cores will change less in the heat and cold compared to lower rated C0R materials. Ultimate Evils are no worse on your bat than a classic M in temps above 75 degrees.
Hope this helps as Im an Entomologist not a material science engineer and have never claimed to be one.
Did you mean below 75? If it's true above they have to be way easier on your bat below 75 when Ms feel like croquet balls.

Dan411

Star Player
I recently purchased a dozen nx3 spinners just to compare to the rockets I've been hitting since February. In my opinion the rocket is better hands down. The spinner moves to much no matter what hit type put on it. The rockets fly more true to our game balls. The evil BPs can be hosed off and used again the next day as well. Thanks evil for a great ball. Only BP ball I will ever purchase.
  • 100% washable for those muddy days when BP is a must.
  • Just hit them and hose them off, they will be ready for your next BP session.
Sounds like you had read this line somewhere before? Except it's not about the ball you're pushing...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
  • 100% washable for those muddy days when BP is a must.
  • Just hit them and hose them off, they will be ready for your next BP session.
Sounds like you had read this line somewhere before? Except it's not about the ball you're pushing...

Yeah, that's a sham review.

53ksm

Manager

Convo started. I'd be interested in taking those nx3's of your hands if you don't care for them.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Put a little cheese out and the rats come running. Back to your burrow Kevin. Not everyone likes that plastic ball, face the music. Rawlings said no and so did Evil. If I thought it was all that we would be selling them.
13782278_10154357229079268_6948455444271731058_n.jpg

Last edited: