Best fastpitch bat for an 8 yr old

lusht

Hi all,

I need some help. I know A LOT about slow pitch bats, but I know little about fastpitch bats. My 8 yr old daughter is in a league, and I want to get her a bat. I didn't want to get the $20 bat at the sporting goods store, but I don't know what to get an 8 year old! She is fairly dainty, but usual height for an 8 yr old. So I'd want something lighter that she can get around. Help!!!

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
Hardly, both my girls that play made travel teams last year and I wanted to reward them a little. Before that they were swinging Walmart aluminum :lol:

kidknapp

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a 30' 19oz CF6 sprite that has not been used in a while.. $120 shipped
great bats, tons of pop

jimmya22

Hitting Machine
My 8yr old is playing her 2nd year of 8U, as well as 2 fall leagues of 8U. We use a RIF1 10" ball - which is basically a mush ball for 6U and 8U leagues. Since last fall, she has used anything from a 27/16, 28/18 metal bat (currently, she is using a worth amp, and a metal mako - both cheap bats) to an Eclipse composite (Garbage), a Combat 2 piece (comp handle, metal barrel), and a CF6. She has more pop using the cheap metal bats, simply because the balls are just too mush to get any advantage from composite. The only time she uses a composite bat is for days like today, when she took BP with the local 10U A travel team, which uses a hard 11" ball. But until they are in 10U, you are better off spending $20-30 on a cheap bat, as it is the same as any other bat for that ball. However, when you move to 10U, my suggestion to you when going to a cage, hitting a dimple ball or going to the 11" ball - get a 2 piece composite. Much less sting for those little girls. The composite and connector do indeed absorb the sting. My daughter tried several different bats in the last month or so, and 2 piece are far and away the best for the hard ball. Above all else - have a great time! This is a great time for her to get into the game - keep it simple, teach proper mechanics, and practice - she will have a blast!

jimmya22

Hitting Machine
My daughter is also pretty small - maybe just below or right at average height/weight for an 8 year old - and she is using the 27/16 about 80% of the time, and a 28/17 20% of the time. She's been swinging a bat since she was 2, and started in PONY baseball at 4. She just doesn't get around with the 28/17 as much as she does the 27/16.
Also, if she is just now starting, you should consider having her hit lefty only. Mine started in the fall, and is just starting to get into slap hitting lefty, as she is fast. Huge advantage when they get older - in fast pitch, all the matters is getting on base.

SWORN*IN

Veteran
Jimmy i thought in 8U you can only swing metal and no composite. Those are the rules we have here in Mountain View/Los Altos.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
My daughters have been using an 11in ball since they started, even my 6yo when she played t ball. When they move up to 12u it changes to a 12in. Different areas different rules I guess.

jimmya22

Hitting Machine
Bruiser, then yes, I see why you make the composite suggestion. Sworn*In, we are an ASA league, and no restrictions on bat, besides just ASA bat rules.

lusht

Thanks a ton, all! Jimmya22, that's about exactly where my daughter is. This is her third season, and second in fast pitch. I do have an aluminum Easton that I had gotten earlier, but she seems to love playing, so I didn't mind getting something that will last her a few more seasons. The balls they use are those mush balls... I think I'll keep the Easton until she moves up. She isn't good enough to play up, so I'll just wait.

Thanks again!!

jimmya22

Hitting Machine
Great time for the girls! I coached baseball for years, and only coached softball the last 4 seasons - it's a blast! I did notice that each season or maybe 1 year max, she got a new bat, just with how much stronger and faster her swing would be. I'm sure my daughter didn't need a new bat, but I still have my hoard of slow pitch bats, even though I only play league now. Old habits are hard to die off, I guess. :) Good luck this year!

bestbatstats

Here's a great video of the Demarini Zen -11, the Easton Ghost USSSA -10 and the Louisville Slugger PXT -9 in a side by side comparison with stats.