Best stick for the new ASA ball .52 cor 300 Comp

grubd

Banned User
Playing in my first competitive ASA league. I play utrip and just have those bats which aren't asa approved because of the 100mph standard.

What bat is best for these mush balls? My buddy was saying to get an Easton Salvo, is that good advice?

Kaji

Addicted to Softballfans
I've heard the Z1000 and Sunday Swagger are the best and the SB98 was made for it.

ht2

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm really curious to see if there are any pre-ABI or early post-ABI's that were "meh" with the old balls, but turn out to be awesome with the .52/300, and everyone ends up wanting one. My Easton SRV1 batting practice bat seems to really hit that ball well for whatever reason.

chris21

Addicted to Softballfans
the Salvo would be a good choice...what do you swing in Utrip? maybe the ASA version of that..

grubd

Banned User
Thanks for your thoughts. My weapon of choice currently is Easton Synergy CNT Plus SCN2 for USSSA.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
lots of ppl laugh at them bcus they are so cheap and old but est's kill the 52/300, my league uses worth hot dots and guys with the est's kill it and so do both the 11' and 12' Z's

guys in my league don't do much damage with the Salvos

Exparrot

The theory is you want a stiff bat with a soft ball. That's the reason why people say Z1000s, Sunday Swaggers, metal, etc. are the best bat for 52s.

Anything that doesn't have a soft barrel would be fine. We don't hit 52s around here yet, but I'm stocked up with Zs when we do.

Our league is also switching to these "mush balls", And i too have been looking for a new bat. Im thinking Anderson right now.

But i have been on 2 different BP sessions with these balls. I, alone have hit 100 or so and have seen another 300-400 hit, and i can say with out a doubt a stiff bat is working the best.

I am a line drive/ gap hitter with occasional power, and i was with a guy who is a legit HR hitter. and we were using the Demarini Doublewall distance. I was hitting shot after shot off the fence. I also used the Recoil and i didn't have nearly as much pop. Take that for whats its worth.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
"100mph standard"...not quite...

Whatever you swing well now is what you're going to hit the .52 CoR well with. If you like the SCN2, try the SCN3.

ht2

Addicted to Softballfans
Piggybacking off this question, how would these bats rank in stiffness, assuming all are broken in?

NRG Maxload
SCN11BH
Catty
OG Wrath
180 Recoil

Really starting to like the way the Recoil feels, but haven't been able to take any bp with 52s and am wondering about the flex working against me with the new balls. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ExFatboy285

Washed up and Bloated
From my experience the recoils kill these balls. Most pre abi will hit these well. But z1000 absolutely crush them. Cdamron is right est's hit these very well also.

hitman444

Addicted to Softballfans
just hit my scn5 and 14 at lunch with 52 300 Tattoos. They hit them just as well as a z1000, only diff was the sound.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Piggybacking off this question, how would these bats rank in stiffness, assuming all are broken in?

NRG Maxload
SCN11BH
Catty
OG Wrath
180 Recoil

Really starting to like the way the Recoil feels, but haven't been able to take any bp with 52s and am wondering about the flex working against me with the new balls. Any help would be appreciated.

ranking:
scn11bh.............never broke it in. Stiffest I have swung
nrg
180 recoil
Catty
Wrath

chris21

Addicted to Softballfans
not sure why anyone would call the 52/300 a 'mush ball'....I hit it all season last year with Combat AntiViruses and hit more HRs than I ever did with the 44/375...also played in a wood bat tourney with these balls and guys were hitting it well over 300 feet...

You shouldn't have to go out and buy a new bat to hit these (unless it's your first ASA experience)...hit what you're comfortable with and you'll be fine..

ht2

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not one of these "what's the best bat for hitting at dusk, but wish we could get a sticky where we could log our experience hitting 52s with various bats. From the sounds of it, maybe the change is not going to be as big a deal as people made it out to be.

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
My experience

My experience with these bats are that the USSSA sticks hit them better than the ASA sticks. Also, stiffer bat doesn't make a damn bit of difference either. My best bat against this ball is my Demarini J2u. Has more flex then some like, and it hits the snot out of this ball. My Craze, which is obviously stiffer than the J2u, also has taken a liking to this ball. Take it or leave it. My opinion is that you have to actually learn how to hit this ball, versus the 44/375. My other two sticks in the bag, are actually not broke in yet, so I cannot speak for those at the moment.

hinzy

}}i{{
I'm really curious to see if there are any pre-ABI or early post-ABI's that were "meh" with the old balls, but turn out to be awesome with the .52/300, and everyone ends up wanting one. My Easton SRV1 batting practice bat seems to really hit that ball well for whatever reason.

Easton Clear series..... Shhhhhh!

Chubby_43

Z1000 hits these balls pretty well, but so does my Helmer.. It really doesn't matter what you use... If you can hit, you can hit....

squires01

Addicted to Softballfans
Z1000, not a chance!!! I heard all the hype and got my hands on one and was extremely disappointed with it's performance. I stuck to my Easton's and they as always continue to crush, hot, cold, mush balls, rocks, doesn't matter SCN/X3 is the ultimate weapon for ASA hands down. The difference between my easton's and the Z was twenty thirty feet.

Addicted to Softballfans
Get a few .52/300's and throw them in the mix with your .44/375's for BP. Other than the .52/300's muffled sound and the .44/375's crack off the bat, there isn't a difference in performance, the sound makes it seem like you miss hit the ball but the .52/300 still flies.

Been hitting them with my MAY98, M7JHA, J2U, Juice, and Stadium and they fly just as far as my .44/375's. Like I said, the only difference I noticed was the sound of the ball being hit. Hope that helps clear things up.

TFS #33

Addicted to Softballfans
Go to a few garage sales and find a green easton trishell for $10, I swear this bat crushes this ball and I am not joking!

M

MJL 00

Get a few .52/300's and throw them in the mix with your .44/375's for BP. Other than the .52/300's muffled sound and the .44/375's crack off the bat, there isn't a difference in performance, the sound makes it seem like you miss hit the ball but the .52/300 still flies.

Been hitting them with my MAY98, M7JHA, J2U, Juice, and Stadium and they fly just as far as my .44/375's. Like I said, the only difference I noticed was the sound of the ball being hit. Hope that helps clear things up.

Thank the lord im not the only one that thinks this, must be us fellas up north ;). I have hit my really old bp balls, new 44 and new 52, not enough diff IMO. If you mash you mash---from what I hear people are saying the do although bounce diff going throw the IF, so take that as you want...

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Go to a few garage sales and find a green easton trishell for $10, I swear this bat crushes this ball and I am not joking!

Yeah, good luck with that. Huge numbers of those were purposely destroyed when Easton was giving out Synergy 2s for the return.

blev27

Manager
Yeah, good luck with that. Huge numbers of those were purposely destroyed when Easton was giving out Synergy 2s for the return.

No longer have my green machine, but do have the orange trny tri-shell. Only difference is it has a shorter barrel

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
Honestly

Thank the lord im not the only one that thinks this, must be us fellas up north ;). I have hit my really old bp balls, new 44 and new 52, not enough diff IMO. If you mash you mash---from what I hear people are saying the do although bounce diff going throw the IF, so take that as you want...

I know you are good guy, and probably haven't been able to get out much yet to hit it up there, but honestly the other night, when we were using the XRocks and Dudley HyCon's we didn't see any out of the ordinary hops, just the ones off the lip of the infield, which is nothing unusual. Ball speed off the bat seemed to be a little less, but if cut, the ball will still sail, unless you were hitting most of your HR's 5 to 10 ft over the fence as glorified pop outs with the 44/375.

Seriously, guys need to learn how to hit before bitching about this ball. It flies just fine. Hitters will hit, bitches will *****. And call me nuts, but the bat with the most flex in my bag, hits them better than the stiff stuff. Almost like a broomstick and tennis ball feel. And I like it. To quote Gru from Despicable Me, "Light Bulb". I'll let everyone else figure that out on their own. ;) If you can hit an asa juggy against it I would, fortunately for me, I get to swing the voodoo child below in the sig against it, due to the restrictions on the bat list being lifted here locally.

Last edited: