Bicep tear

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
I was wondering if anyone has tore their bicep on a swing? I played in a tourney last weekend and tore my left bicep pretty bad. Doctor says it is a Distal Bicep tear. Has anyone had this happen and how long was your recovery after surgery?

4xtra

Player/Coach
you have to have surgery within 4 weeks of the injuy
or the scar tissue will progress and this makes it very difficult to have surgery after that point.

I tore both of my biceps at seperate times and the surgery is very painful.
Recoevry is at least 6-8 months.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
I tore my right biceps (I bat left) swinging in early June of 2013. I ended a game with a fluffer to 2nd so I got ticked and pulled out the tee. I was planning on losing the ball but I ended up hitting the tee. The ball only went 5 feet, but the tee topper ended up in right field. I had surgery 8 days later. Therapy for 2-3 months and back playing ball in late September. 5 years later and it's stronger than ever, but I still think about it every once in awhile. Just listen to your body and make sure you are doing daily exercise like walking. I didn't and the rest of my body paid the price.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
Also, make sure you work on you supination and pronation. I have probably 95% or so of the range of motion pre-injury, and I dealt with wrist pain for a while. It's funny because I cannot shoot a basketball (I was a pretty good shooter) very good now. It took me a bit to figure out that it's a pronation issue. Sometimes my hand just won't go where it's supposed to and the ball ends up smacking the side of the backboard.

eviladams

All hail Megatron.....
I tore my right distal bicep tendon on July 15, 2020. I had surgery on the 27th. Initially we though I dodged a bullet because I was passing some of the tests. MRI revealed 75% tear (back to front) so I didn’t have much choice but to fix it cause it was only a matter of “when” it tore the rest of the way. I’m a very active individual so this has sucked big time. Gym stopped, softball Stopped, and now I’m off sick from work because im sporting a huge arm brace. I don’t anticipate going back to work until around Christmas. Forearm is still numb. I also had the doctor clean out the same wrist because that’s been ****ed up for 2.5 years also. 2 birds with 1 stone approach. But it hasn’t been a week and I’m already sick of this ****. I can’t shave. Showering is a pain in the ass and eating with my left hand makes me look like I’ve never used a fork before.

yellowmein

BP on a Tee
I tore my right distal bicep tendon on July 15, 2020. I had surgery on the 27th. Initially we though I dodged a bullet because I was passing some of the tests. MRI revealed 75% tear (back to front) so I didn’t have much choice but to fix it cause it was only a matter of “when” it tore the rest of the way. I’m a very active individual so this has sucked big time. Gym stopped, softball Stopped, and now I’m off sick from work because im sporting a huge arm brace. I don’t anticipate going back to work until around Christmas. Forearm is still numb. I also had the doctor clean out the same wrist because that’s been ****ed up for 2.5 years also. 2 birds with 1 stone approach. But it hasn’t been a week and I’m already sick of this ****. I can’t shave. Showering is a pain in the ass and eating with my left hand makes me look like I’ve never used a fork before.
Hang in there big guy

Lang18

I tore my left distal bicep in 2005 and had the surgery the following week. Till this day I only have around 50% pronation and about 70% supination reason being i slacked off on physical therapy. So as someone else said work on therapy both pronation and supination. The therapy will be uncomfortable and painful but the therapy is as important as the surgery. Take plenty of time to heal and recover the 6 month time frame seems long but is pretty accurate and I can't stress enough that when you start swinging a bat again take it slow and give it time. You can gain most of your strength back over time. Side note if you do like to work out make sure you gain as much pronation and supination back as possible because your biceps and triceps won't grow as easily if you can't fully pro and supinate and you'll be walking around with one arm jacked and the other not so jacked. Godspeed brother.

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans

I cant believe doctors are still using the gigantic brace thing. I tore mine in August 2013 and never had it. My ortho used the button technique with plastic screw to hold in place on the top. Started moving it almost immediately per doctors orders. Couldn't lift anything heavier then 5 pounds for a good while though. It took about 1 year to get back to 100% strength but I wasnt the best at doing my own PT so...

eviladams

All hail Megatron.....
I cant believe doctors are still using the gigantic brace thing. I tore mine in August 2013 and never had it. My ortho used the button technique with plastic screw to hold in place on the top. Started moving it almost immediately per doctors orders. Couldn't lift anything heavier then 5 pounds for a good while though. It took about 1 year to get back to 100% strength but I wasnt the best at doing my own PT so...

I take it off a lot. I’ve found myself straightening it more than the 60 degrees they have the brace set at, often but accidentally. I haven’t experienced any pain when I do that. I haven’t lifted anything though. When I stretch and raise my arms above my head I still keep the right arm bent at a 90. But when I stretch and my right bicep flexes, it hurts a bit. Like a bad cramp.