Any Blowout games

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
So a game gets out of hand score-wise. The trailing team is clearly outmatched, and are down say 22-2 in the top of the 4th inning, with the leading team at bat.

As an umpire, do you start hedging calls at all? Calling any ball near the strike zone a strike, etc in order to end a blowout game a bit faster?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So a game gets out of hand score-wise. The trailing team is clearly outmatched, and are down say 22-2 in the top of the 4th inning, with the leading team at bat.

As an umpire, do you start hedging calls at all? Calling any ball near the strike zone a strike, etc in order to end a blowout game a bit faster?

Nope. I've seen teams come back from being down by 14 runs in the bottom of the 7th. No kidding.

Just because you think it's all over doesn't guarantee it. Bad idea to start fudging calls just because you want to get it over with. Wouldn't do it.

Jbird11

Nope. I've seen teams come back from being down by 14 runs in the bottom of the 7th. No kidding.

Just because you think it's all over doesn't guarantee it. Bad idea to start fudging calls just because you want to get it over with. Wouldn't do it.

Any shot you would move to beautiful South Dakota? I can fast track you as the local UIC, give you $5K per year plus umping...

LMK.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Any shot you would move to beautiful South Dakota? I can fast track you as the local UIC, give you $5K per year plus umping...

LMK.

I've already moved away from the cold once (Wisconsin). Don't think wifey and I are moving anytime soon. ;)

archangel

Addicted to Softballfans

Let me get this straight. The losing team is taking a beating, and you're asking if umpires add to to that by helping the winning team? Thats like asking if umpires change their calls in extra inning games to get it over with..We dont care who wins, so why would we care to end it sooner? I never work just 1 game, so theres always another game, and if the last game is the blowout, it doesnt matter, Im there for however long it takes.

More importantly than that, dont you think both teams would notice if an umpire starts making "blowout" calls? Im going to ruin my rep, be thought of as a cheater, for what?
Dont think so..

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree that it is a poor idea. This happened to me this past monday. I am the manager, and the ump came to be before we hit in the top of the 4th and told me that my guys better swing at anything within 6 inches of the plate. Didn't argue since he is a nice guy and we were up huge with no real chance of them coming back on us. But I did think that it was a poor job by the umpire to do that, even in the last game of the night.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
There's this perception that there's a second "mercy rule" invoked by umpires when one team is dishing out a beating: "get it over with." I can certainly understand the mentality behind it, but it's not our place to make this judgment.

No umpire worth his/her salt would invoke this "rule."

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
I rely on the players to end blowout games quickly. 23-1 in the 2nd inning and you're still batting?

Oops, I stepped off the bag before contact was made.
Oops, I stepped on the plate while hitting the ball.
Oh darn, I forgot there was only one out on that fly ball.
Shoot, I thought he was going to catch that easy pop-up to the infield so I didn't run.

Last edited:

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
My buddy made an exception once when he had the plate and I was in the field. It was a co-ed game and 1 team was getting completely blown out for the 2nd time (double header). It was going to end by run rule after the inning and the batter on the losing team knew it was going to be his last AB and it was maybe his 3rd AB in 2 games. It got to a 3-1 count and he said loud enough for everyone to hear something to the effect of "Please throw a strike, I haven't had many chances to swing and I don't want to walk". Next pitch wasn't close, but the plate ump called it a strike and a said "You're welcome". The batter and pitcher were both happy so it's all good.