Calling all Modified pitchers!!

gofisch

puckeater00, is the pitching rubber really that close? Normal Modified distance is 46'.

Couldn't access the video

Last edited:

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
everybody on here makes good points,the problem you have is that nobody ever told me or showed me how to do it, needed a pitcher and i just went out and did it, how do they expect someone to pick up the ball when everyone out there kicks them down and tells them they need to due this and that to be legal. The game has changed so much that it is not worth becoming good at something and then getting the boot because grown men dont want to look bad at the plate. I wish softball would go back 10 yrs and let men be men.The biggest way a pitcher can learn is by going out there and let it fly and then make adjustments as you go along

puckeater00

Addicted to Softballfans
puckeater00, is the pitching rubber really that close? Normal Modified distance is 46'.

Couldn't access the video
Sorry, I don't know how to get it.

Yes, they really do pitch from that distance. A lot of A level tournaments in Quebec throw from 38' while 40' is the standard distance. 42' is the standard for Softball Canada and what I'm used to. Even fastpitch in Quebec is only 44' while everywhere else is 46'. I've only thrown from 46' at one tournament and low and behold, the extra 4' helped as I had more movement than ever. I'm a righty and my pitches have a natural break in to right hand hitters. From 46' my pitches were breaking 8" to 12" across and dropping 5"+ according to my catcher and umpire. I wish we threw from 46' all the time. The crazy movement some of the Quebec pitchers have is made that much more amazing due to how close they are throwing from. It's truly mind blowing:eek: the first time you see a pitch break 3'+ from 40'. If you were to check out scores from Quebec provincial play the scores are very low. Add the mush ball they use and power hitting teams don't do well. We took a team full of sluggers up there thinking we were going to come home with some money. We lost in the semis to a fastpitch team who got 4 hits and beat us 3-2 by getting a dying quail hit,a bad hop hit, and finished it off by hitting a high chopper over our shortstop and was overun by our center fielder allowing the tying and winning runs to score. I finished that game with 12 K's, 1 walk and 4 hits allowed. Most intense and best game of my life only to lose in bottom of the 7th. I felt worse for the guys than anything else. In the end it was lot's of fun and a great experience. Way too much fun was had that night that wouldn't have happened if we had to get up early for a final game. A return trip is a must this year.

gofisch

I might have a fastball from 38':eek: :D

Hey, I lost my knuckleball. But realized I was gripping it differently than I had been. I needed to bring the ball in closer to my hand, I had my fingertips gripping correctly just flexed away from my hand. Once I brought them back towards my palm everything was good again. It was weird, I'm glad I could figure it out. Your pictures are helpful. Thanks

blakcherry329

Hey, I lost my knuckleball. But realized I was gripping it differently than I had been. I needed to bring the ball in closer to my hand, I had my fingertips gripping correctly just flexed away from my hand. Once I brought them back towards my palm everything was good again. It was weird, I'm glad I could figure it out. Your pictures are helpful. Thanks

That happens to everyone. For me, it's my release point, rather than the grip.

Glad I could help.:D

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm going to bump this to the top because this week, my modified interest is up. My GF just tried out for a mens modified league that will allow 1 woman. The woman can only pitch, but is allowed to do windmill. (I know, WTF?) I just went to watch, wound up shagging balls, got a chance to hit, and I was pretty good. I might start pitching modified in the yard just to see what I can do. Maybe make the switch from slowpitch....

gofisch

I'm going to bump this to the top because this week, my modified interest is up. My GF just tried out for a mens modified league that will allow 1 woman. The woman can only pitch, but is allowed to do windmill. (I know, WTF?) I just went to watch, wound up shagging balls, got a chance to hit, and I was pretty good. I might start pitching modified in the yard just to see what I can do. Maybe make the switch from slowpitch....

Dang, thats a huge advantage. How many woman pitch in that league.? I played in a fastpitch league here with woman that played and the woman that pitched was one of the best pitchers in the league. I played Modified with a former Womans World Series pitcher that pitched in some tournaments with us, she pitched Modified, but by the end of the Tourney my hand was swollen from catching her.

Hammer79

Addicted to Softballfans
Kodiak said, "I wish softball would go back 10 yrs and let men be men.The biggest way a pitcher can learn is by going out there and let it fly and then make adjustments as you go along"[/I][/I][/I]

Agreed upon.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Dang, thats a huge advantage. How many woman pitch in that league.? I played in a fastpitch league here with woman that played and the woman that pitched was one of the best pitchers in the league. I played Modified with a former Womans World Series pitcher that pitched in some tournaments with us, she pitched Modified, but by the end of the Tourney my hand was swollen from catching her.

I already told you guys everything i know. A guy subbed for our night league on wednesday and told us he just joined a team that needed a girl pitcher. So we went thursday so she could try out. I would think that having a good fastpitch chick would be a huge advantage.

blakcherry329

That's just crazy or arrogant, or both. A women's fastpitch pitcher will definitely have an advantage. And why can't a woman play anywhere, not just pitch? Dumb rule, imo.
We had a woman play ss on a team in one of my leagues. Her bat was ok, but she could definitely pick it.

gofisch

That's just crazy or arrogant, or both. A women's fastpitch pitcher will definitely have an advantage. And why can't a woman play anywhere, not just pitch? Dumb rule, imo.
We had a woman play ss on a team in one of my leagues. Her bat was ok, but she could definitely pick it.

Woman can play dude, thats for sure. We had several in our league, they played all over. Most of their arms were very average but everyone of them could hit. Most of them better than the most of the guys in the league.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I agree with all of you. I know some modified pitchers can throw hard, but there are tons of girls that pitched in college who would be way better. I don't know who runs this league or why his rules are the way that they are. I know the league starts on thursday so I might head up there and watch a game or 2 to try and get all of the facts.

gofisch

Yeah, I agree with all of you. I know some modified pitchers can throw hard, but there are tons of girls that pitched in college who would be way better. I don't know who runs this league or why his rules are the way that they are. I know the league starts on thursday so I might head up there and watch a game or 2 to try and get all of the facts.

I'm curious on how this goes. Keep us posted.

puckeater00

Addicted to Softballfans
Took a comebacker Sunday night. Broken palate , nose and orbital bone. Never saw it coming. A mask will definitely become part of my gear when I come back. Don't let this happen to you! Liquid diet sucks!!!

gofisch

Sorry this happened to you. Our league requires them. But it took what happened to you for them to implement it. Heal quickly.

Buzz21

Addicted to Softballfans
puckeater00 I hope you heal quickly man... I pitch up in MA and have been thinking of wearing one! Hearing what happened to you is real scary! I hope you have a full recovery bra!

puckeater00

Addicted to Softballfans
while it doesn't feel as bad as it looks, it doesn't feel good and now I'm off work for a while because physical labor strains facial muscles. Spirits are still up though and I'm looking forward to returning to the field, work, and solid food.:p

blakcherry329

I got hit in the upper thigh last week. Left a nice big bruise. Luckily it was a Clincher Gold or it would have been a lot worse.

gofisch

I got hit in the upper thigh last week. Left a nice big bruise. Luckily it was a Clincher Gold or it would have been a lot worse.

Same thing happened to me but it was closer to my knee. The seam from the ball made it look as if I had a 3 inch scar that the stitches had been removed from. I'll take that over what happened to puckeater.

Oh and I lost my knuckleball again. It only seems to knuckle now if I throw it hard. :confused:

blakcherry329

Same thing happened to me but it was closer to my knee. The seam from the ball made it look as if I had a 3 inch scar that the stitches had been removed from. I'll take that over what happened to puckeater.

Oh and I lost my knuckleball again. It only seems to knuckle now if I throw it hard. :confused:

Probably just a mechanics issue. Make sure you flick the fingers in conjunction with your wrist snap. I find when I lose it sometimes, I'm being lazy with my mechanics and the ball rolls off my fingers, creating spin. Spin is BAD:eek::D

gofisch

Thanks, It's like starting over everytime. LOL Occasionally, I get tons of top spin causing the ball to drop like a mother which is pretty cool. Just haven't figured out how to do it on purpose.

Last edited:

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I have pitched ASA slow/high-arc for 10+ years and am now pitching in a new league with modified pitching rules (more or less, no height or speed rules and ump/strike zone vs self-umped mat).

I have to say that I LOVE IT! The added element of speed changes makes it even more effective than hi/slow (where good pitch placement/strategy does help) in impacting at-bats/games.

We start with a 1-1 count. So, successful strategy was a higher pitch they would take for strike, followed by quick/lower pitch on corners (depending). They have to chase/protect.

Held other team to just 3 until bottom of last inning, when we blew 5 run lead to lose 9-8. Bunch of fielding/throwing errors. Ours to lose. Several K's (on a few girls swinging & on the guys via some 2x fouls), as well as a bunch of bad hits forced. Similar in next game, though higher scoring, we won that one 19-18 in b7 (another blown lead, re-captured).

I am working on getting my velocity up (10-man style), and would definitely agree with driving towards target hard for added juice, and reaching towards the target for good release point, and focus on the target for accuracy. I also would add moving side-to-side some on the rubber to aid in keeping it outside/inside/working angles, both up/down and in/out.

One effective (if done right) pitch I can throw in modified, which you cannot in slow/arc, is a rising fastball. If release low with right angle/back-spin, looks nice/flat on release and climbs up towards shoulders on arrival, after they have already committed. Got a few guys to chase on those yesterday for some easy pop-ups and foul-outs.

Once I get the speed/accuracy up more, I want to work on a curve-ball. That extra movement should F with them a little bit...

Last edited:

ca_llmedaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, started at the mound for the first time ever the other night.......It was a little rough, 12 runs first inning.. only one home run but it was a grand one, second inning went a little smoother, only two runs.. end of the game came quickly with a total of 21...Quite a few errors were made in the field behind me but I have to say, all the batters smoked the ball on me lol

Tonight I'm going to give it another shot, hoping it doesnt go as bad as the first time around lol

gofisch

Well, started at the mound for the first time ever the other night.......It was a little rough, 12 runs first inning.. only one home run but it was a grand one, second inning went a little smoother, only two runs.. end of the game came quickly with a total of 21...Quite a few errors were made in the field behind me but I have to say, all the batters smoked the ball on me lol

Tonight I'm going to give it another shot, hoping it doesnt go as bad as the first time around lol

It gets better, then it gets worse, then it get better. :D

ca_llmedaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll tell ya, the first thing I learned....Its NOT as easy as it looks, especially to do it legal. I've got nothing but respect for the guys that can go out there and do it.

ca_llmedaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I only pitched the last two innings the other night. No runs were scored but did give a few hits. My velocity needs improvement, just seems when I try to throw faster my release point changes. The other pitcher mentioned taking a longer stride, so I'll be working on that in practice.

Question though...When my arm goes back, should be elbow be locked? I notice that sometimes it feels like it is and others its not. More so not when I rush.

soch07747

Extra Hitter
I would be careful about moving from side to side on the pitching rubber. If the batter picks up on it, he'll know the location of the pitch. Just my 2cents...

Oh, and I also started to get some strength in my forehand this year becuase I worked on arm speed in the off season only to come in the first game and strain my forearm muscles. Threw pretty damn hard though, but now I have to play catch up... so def. strengthening shoulder, bi's/tri's, along with forearm will help in speed.